• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up 804a and 802a today and looking for advise.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Got the batteries unhooked?
Yes. I'm going this week to pick up parts unit. So until I have the fuel system back in place I'm not going to attempt to start. .I may bid on a few more they have at the location. Got the mep fever. . I've always liked rebuilding stuff since I was 16. Here's a few of the trucks I've done

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrong. I have seen a picture of a burnt out HUMMV. I have talked to a friend who is now retired. We can and are doing things like that. And if and when we do Patriot, they will have to ship them our gen sets. 400 hertz is not something you go to Home Depot for.

Guyfang

Staff member
Patriot is a good system. I spent from 1985 to 1993 in Patriot. Its not all its cracked up to be, but its been improved, since then. What most people do NOT understand, is that Patriot protects a very small footprint. An operator keys in the coordinates, of say Kiev. Not all that big of a city. The computer now knows that Kiev is to be protected. But everything else in the wide world, is not. The system ONLY protects Kiev. And maybe not all of Kiev. Also, the Patriot system can only look at 180 degrees of the pie. The radar can only "see" 180 degrees of the country side. Yes, the radar can be swung in a 360 degree circle. But at any time, only can see 180 degrees. So an aircraft, drone of carrier pidgin coming up behind the radar, will not be seen. The air cover, AWACS's for instance, can see everything, and tell the firing battery to look else ware.

It is not clear how many missile launchers will be sent but a typical Patriot battery includes a radar set that detects and tracks targets, computers, power generating equipment, an engagement control station and up to eight launchers, each holding four ready to fire missiles.

Took this from the article. If the typical Battery has 8 launchers, that's news to me. Used to be 6. The original plan in the 80's, was a Battalion held 6 Batteries, each battery had 8 launchers. But that was reduced due to "Money" to a Battalion having three firing Batteries, of 6 launchers. Back in the day, we had 6 Battalions here in Germany. After the wall went down, all of it went back to the States but the 1-7 ADA, Patriot. And thats the way it is today. I would bet a large sum of money, that's who will be doing the training, for the Ukrainian soldiers. With much help from 32nd AADCOM and Mother Raytheon, as well as CECOM.

Oh, every Scud the was "shot down" by Patriot during the first Desert war, was acquired by HAWK, ADA Batteries, the tracking data uploaded to Eyes in the Sky, and down loaded to Patriot. The record, did not always reflect the score.

Guyfang

Staff member
The best way to look for parts, and its another forum rule, is to open a "Parts Wanted" Thread. List what you want, What kind of equipment its for. You get better visibility, and there are folks who do look at that kind of thread!

Squarefour

I have (2) preserved 802A engines available in Central NC
I only have 4 or 5 hours messing with this one, started with a dead hole. running on two but sems out of balance to me until higher RPM I have to repair this radiator unless you or someone has one. I should price your engine as well. Oil psi seems good, unit seems to make power. Nothing verified. Thanks Keith Snow

Squarefour

The best way to look for parts, and its another forum rule, is to open a "Parts Wanted" Thread. List what you want, What kind of equipment its for. You get better visibility, and there are folks who do look at that kind of thread!
Thank You Guy, It takes an Ole Battle Wagon Outlaw to catch an Outlaw. I will clean up and follow the rules. Sorry again :cool:

Beschneid

I was one of the founding members of a Patriot unit in 1986. We formed the unit at Ft Bliss, trained for 6-7 months, 3-4 days in the desert per week. Started from recall to the RSOP of the new location. Then deployed the unit and families as one to Ansbach. We then had to train an qualify to be part of the over all NATO air defense system. Great system. The system can identify friend or foe. Not sure how many friendly flights they will need to worry about. It is probably a weapons free zone. “If it flies it dies, sort it out on the ground”. As far as generators they must have been MEP803 or 804 per launching unit, one large truck mounted twin turbine gen sets to power the radar and command and control. Not sure. Thinking about all those high speed fans and gen units my tinitus is getting louder as I type😝

Guyfang

Staff member
I was one of the founding members of a Patriot unit in 1986. We formed the unit at Ft Bliss, trained for 6-7 months, 3-4 days in the desert per week. Started from recall to the RSOP of the new location. Then deployed the unit and families as one to Ansbach. We then had to train an qualify to be part of the over all NATO air defense system. Great system. The system can identify friend or foe. Not sure how many friendly flights they will need to worry about. It is probably a weapons free zone. “If it flies it dies, sort it out on the ground”. As far as generators they must have been MEP803 or 804 per launching unit, one large truck mounted twin turbine gen sets to power the radar and command and control. Not sure. Thinking about all those high speed fans and gen units my tinitus is getting louder as I type😝

Brother, I was in the Bn before you. We were the 6/3rd Patriot, and later flagged to 1/7 ADA. I was in the Maint Co, the 549th Maint Co. I was a Founding Member of the 6/3 and 549th. We went to K-Town.

The gen sets back then were the 15 KW, MEP-113A, 400 hertz on the launchers, and the D424A 150 KW, 400 hertz turbine gen set, mounted on a EPP-2 (Electric power plant) truck. Two sets per truck. Screamers! I loved them. The 150 KW was rated at 150 KW, but the Allison Tech Rep told me it could have been used for a 300-450 KW gen set. It had power without end. We built a load bank for it. I could drop 300-350 KW on the set all at once, and you hardly heard the difference. But sadly, it was a POS gen set.

Beschneid

Brother, I was in the Bn before you. We were the 6/3rd Patriot, and later flagged to 1/7 ADA. I was in the Maint Co, the 549th Maint Co. I was a Founding Member of the 6/3 and 549th. We went to K-Town.

The gen sets back then were the 15 KW, MEP-113A, 400 hertz on the launchers, and the D424A 150 KW, 400 hertz turbine gen set, mounted on a EPP-2 (Electric power plant) truck. Two sets per truck. Screamers! I loved them. The 150 KW was rated at 150 KW, but the Allison Tech Rep told me it could have been used for a 300-450 KW gen set. It had power without end. We built a load bank for it. I could drop 300-350 KW on the set all at once, and you hardly heard the difference. But sadly, it was a POS gen set.
I was in A Btry 6/43. Our maintenance Company was 91st, I never worked on them, I was on the receiving end of the power. I was won of the young LT’s that depended on you guys to keep us going. I had the Launcher Platoon and I worked in the ECS (the box). There were a couple nights when the EPP was non op, I actually got some sleep. 😊. You had to synch those up to change from one to the other genset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks