• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20's - just finished!

littlebob

RE: Re: RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

Very Nice! I want one too. but by the time I finish my deuce I probably won't be looking for another project for a year or two.

dma251

I took it out for it's first run on the new rubber today. Feeling kinda nervous about it, so I dropped by my local Les Schwab tire center and had them double check the wheel torque and air pressure (450 ft/lbs, 90 psi). All okay, so I headed out on the highway. The ride is a little bumpy when you roll off from a stop, but after about 10 mph it smooths right out. It felt so good, I jumped on the freeway to run it up to speed. I ran it up to 75 mph smooth as can be and tracking dead-on straight. I only held that speed for a minute to see if I could do it, and then dropped down to about 60-65 mph. At 75 mph (according to my GPS) the tach was at 2000 rpm and the truck's speedo was indicating 57-59 (it bounces).

At a more comfortable 65 mph the rpm was around 1750-1800 rpm, and the speedo indicating 45 mph.

This truck is so easy to drive, you can take your hands off the wheel and steer with your knees! The bigger tires were a great improvement - plus I get more looks then ever before! This thing really REALLY sticks out on the road!

Deuceswild

dma251,
Just curious, but how much clearance is there between the rear tires? Would love to see some video of that monster in action, ( Hint-Hint :lol: ),
Again, Great Job!
Jeff.

dma251

It's funny you should say that, I took a video of it today that really shows the rear clearance well, but it's pretty big (20 meg and 31 meg). How do I post these?

I tried adding the 20 meg video to the video gallery, but I got this error message - "Missing argument 'tid' in 'pagesetter_adminapi_getPubTypeInfo'"

Anyway, to answer your question - it's got a lot more clearance then you would think.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Damn your house looks small in those pics. Nice ride.

rizzo

I have 2 five tons with 1600's. clearance inbetween the two rear tires is 1inch +-.

dma251

That's no concern to me - what I was worried about was the vertical clearance of the the axle into the cargo bed - which proved to be no issue really at all. If I could figure out how to post this video I would show you....

M1075

Re: RE: Re: RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

dma251 said:
That's no concern to me - what I was worried about was the vertical clearance of the the axle into the cargo bed - which proved to be no issue really at all. If I could figure out how to post this video I would show you....
No clearance issues with the bed? What about with the axles on the bump stops (i.e. big load, off road)?

rizzo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20

I'm prety sure they have rubbed on my M543 I put a deuce bed on my M810 and ended up putting a 5.5 inch lift on the bed so they don't rub.

dma251

sure wish I could show you guys my videos... I tried once again today to upload them.... Anyone know how to reduce the size of an mpeg? If I get it under 10mb I can email it out.

Like I said before - I drove the truck down a 45 degree slope about 6 feet deep and didn't rub the bed. There were no rub marks on the crossmembers at all. I'm sure if I somehow stuffed the axle further up there I could get it to hit, but I think for most guys that's not likely.

I'll still do the 2" bed lift, but now I realize it will only be for cosmetic reasons. It's just too darn easy looking to do...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Upload it to google video or youtube, then link it here.

dma251

Success! I have one video on YouTube, and the other will be up in a few minutes.

This is the best I could do by my house to twist up the rear suspension - The reason I did this was also so I could load all the old tires up in the bed by rolling them into the back on a plank from the street!

I'll post the other one in a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_07EGI9FU

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am curious about this bed mounted crane you installed. Is this the type you can buy from Northern, or something special? Any pics?

dma251

Well, it's not very "extreme" at all, but it does a good job of showing that 16-20's DO provide enough clearance for average offroad use. Case closed.

I'll put some pics of the bed crane up tomorrow, but it's basically the Harbor Freight model braced to the bedside. I'll paint it ASAP! Orange aint workin'....

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

dma251

First one - It'll get high enough to drag my spare up and down from the bed. That's all I really needed. It looks okay. I haven't even used it yet, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks