• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my singled 5-ton with 16-20's - just finished!

dma251

RE: SS

I believe the David Clark headsets also come in the standard GA style (I think that stands for general aviation) plugs. It's actually two seperate plugs. If they are GA plugs they'll work. If they are military connectors they won't work. The military connector is totally different. I am REALLY impressed with the FlightCom 4DLX headsets. They are very well constructed for serious pilot use, and the audio quality for music is very surprising, and that is what I wanted most. More often then not I am alone in the truck. I listen to my music (ipod or MP3) LOUD, and the quality is good.

I bought the iNova unit for about $75, and the headsets for about $30 each on Ebay. I also made the mistake of buying a couple of "greatdeal" 4DLX helicopter headsets, and found out that not only would the plug not work, but the coil cord is so heavy it tugs on your head. Do yourself a favor - avoid the coily-cord. Seemed like the way to go - turns out it wasn't. The straight-cord is so light you don't even feel it.

Watch Ebay - these things ROCK!

dma251

hummin2london

Perhaps a silly question here: did you have to flip the rear hubs or do the supersingles mount on the normal dualie hubs?

Cheers!

dma251

You can do it either way. The supersingle wheels can be bolted on reversed from the front like 99% of the folks on here I've seen - or you can flip the rear hubs like I did, to run them in the same orientation as front.

It's a lot of extra work, but as I discovered - it's a great way to force yourself to inspect the condition of your brakes, bearings, and seals. Plus with the combat rims you have the ability to dismount and mount tires without removing the wheel in an emergency.

(I also think it looks cooler ;) )

dma251

the NHC-250 Cummins. I am planning a future big-cam upgrade, but it's got plenty of power for now. I've had it up to 70+ mph on the freeway. I usually hold it around 65 or so at about 1800 rpm and that is comfortable.

m139h2otruck

DMA251: Which wheels did you use? May have already answered this, but I missed it. Do you know the offset dimensions (both sides of the wheel)? I assume that they were at least 10" wide for the 1600x20 tires. This info would be very helpful. I too, wonder about the power loss (?) if any whith these big tires. Thinking about doing this on the new M812A1.
Thanks

dma251

I didn't notice any power loss, but then again, there was never all that much hillclimbing power to begin with. It will climb up a 45 degree hill, but not fast. I have a quarter mile 15% grade right outside my neighborhood, and I gotta keep it in second at about 25 mph to get up it. It was pretty much the same deal before, though.
It did seem to make the gears a little more appropriate for my kind of driving. I've never done the math, but it seems like the gears (except for the hole between 3 and 4th) are a little better spread out.

I couldn't tell you if they sing or not at 60, because the engine is so loud by that point I've got my headset on listening to my MP3 player.... Probably are singing, though.... I've never heard it.

Wheels - They are just the standard 10"x20" combat wheels. Not sure about the offset, but it's the same wheel I see most everyone else using. I've got the rear hubs flipped to run the wheels face-out, however. I haven't seen anyone else do this yet....

Never had much load in it while driving. Sorry.

Deuceswild

Camo Base Color

Dma251,
Is the base Green on your truck 383 CARC sub, and if so who is the Mnf. of the paint, Love the colors and the Camo scheme.
Would like to paint mine in the Camo pattern too so I thought I'd ask you.

Thanks, Jeff.

dma251

Yeah ,The predominate green is I believe "383" current issue green - not sure about the manufacturer, it was on it when I bought it. The tan is "field drab," a military color from the 70's 4 color pattern.

Here's a couple pics from the snow the other day.

The one with the bumperlights is photo-edited in. I have 4 24 volt military spotlights I am going to plasma-cut the holes and weld in two 8" diameter steel tubes into the inside of the bumper and recess the lights down in the tubes. What do you all think of that?

Attachments

Travver797

That's it, I can't hold it in any longer. dma251, I can't help but just say that I'm in love with this magnificent 5 ton you've got. It's got the right attitude, the right stance, and reading about it just being overall a great vehicle makes me just a little bit envious; even though I shouldn't be I am. I'm also looking forward to hearing about the Big Cam Cummins swap or the addtion of the turbo; whichever you decide to go with.

If you wouldn't mind posting more photos I'd really appreciate it. I don't have any green iron that I own personally cause of the whole college thing currently but I've got plans to be on the lookout in the near future. Reading this here bulletin board has been quite a time consuming past time of mine the past several months, I must say. That and if you could tell me how well it does in the snow with the singled Michelin's too.

Thanks,

Travis.

TheBuggyman

DMA,
I did not notice that the rear wheels were oriented the same as the fronts until you said something so let me ask you a question-

What happens to the brake drum when you flip the hubs? We flip the hubs on our Deuce rock crawler axles but we also ditch the factory drums in favor of pinion brakes. Doesn't the drum attach to the hub flange or is there another spacer that I'm not aware of?
Just curious and BTW, your truck looks great.

dma251

The drum is in the same position as always. The hubs just flipped over and rebolted to the outside of the drum from it's backside instead of the other way.
Trying to explain flipping hubs is not easy. The photo-article in the articles section does a really good job of showing how it's done.

It's one heck of a job though, on a five ton. The hub/drum weigh around 150 at least.

I had a friend of mine construct some really nice tools to help me get the hub/drum off, though. Like a gear puller type of thing. He also made me a seal installer that works perfect.