• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plans for California trip in the works

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might as well make it official, (also posted on the greasecar.com forum), the trip to Georgia will very likely be followed by a roundtrip to the West coast. Primary purpose is to bring a ton of books and stuff for my wife's new job in Ventura and to haul Bruce Beattie's laundry trailer closer to his home. My wife will be leaving earlier in her own car. I'll be able to rough it. :jumpin:

My itinerary for the next couple of months looks like this (subject to last minute change):

June 17: Leaving for Jesup Georgia to pick up a trailer, driving I-77 to I-26 to I-95. Will bring deuce wheels for RDM and possibly locust for BFR. May also drive to Jax, FL for another pick-up, returning home on or about June 21st.

July 14: Leaving for California driving I-40 most of the way.
Destination in CA is Ventura.
Returning home on or about the 26th of July.

For the Georgia trip all needed fuel will be brought along. About 1,200 miles total.

For the California trip, fuel will be biodiesel/veggie oil mix for as long as supply lasts (perhaps 200 gallons) and then diesel for the rest of the trip. About 5,000 miles total.
Have one offer from a couple near Barstow, CA for filtered VO. :)

I can mix up to 50% VO with the diesel without any problem and plan on staying at truck stops along the way.

Details will be posted later to make it possible to meet up with any of you interested in checking out the old deuce or just to say hello. Offers for VO will not be turned down and I'll be happy to pay your cost and then some for it.

For the return trip I will be running empty unless somebody need something hauled Eastward. Will stop in at M1075's in OK and Howard's in KY on the way back, so far.

Please, note that this is preliminary and I have a lot to do before leaving.
(See "Trip to Wayne Harris, GA" for additional info)

rmgill

Jeeze Bjorn. I just did 800 miles in my M35 and that wore me out. I don't know how you plan on over 2000 miles.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bjorn, you are certifiable Buddy.

I'll buy you a cup of coffee when you get to BFR's or RDM's house.

[thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All y'all think Bjorn is crazy for making this trip. I can tell you, once you get over need for speed, a deuce is a very fun way to travel. I've put a couple of miles on mine and if I'm alone or just the 4 yr old is with me, its the way I prefer to travel. 10 miles or 1000 miles. Everybody freaks out about what if and parts. Take some bulbs and a few essentials and get that truck on the road, they love it. Besides, even if something does go away, they can limp home on piss & vinegar. Godspeed Bjorn, wished I could convoy out with you!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm about 40 minutes from Ventura, Your more than welcome to stay at my place for a hot meal and a soak in the spa. We will definately have to hook up so I can see the one and only cranetruck! Keep us posted on your plans. I might be able to start scrounging up some WVO out here for your return trip. :beer:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a plan DJ.
I will begin to include the Bay Area in the plans too, since that's where Bruce ultimately wants his laundry trailer.

Dieselsmoke: If I go North with the trailer, I'm sure we can get together somehow, you'll be on the way back.

Tony

Bjorn,
You will be going right by my place, I'm 15 min from Ventura, and DJ in about 30 min from me north east.
I'm right off the 101 which will be the freeway you will be going on. Maybe we all can get together with DJ when you get out. As you leave the general Los Angles, you enter Ventura County, you will go up a step grade, at the top of the grade is a weigh station, Highway Patrol is quit eactive there..This grade is called the Camarillo Grade. Ileve just north of there.
You will enjoy the weather here, not as humid as where you are comming from.
Looking forward to getting together an seeing your truck when you come out here.
What type of trailer will you be pulling? And what will you pull it with? Scales, if need be you can bypass.

Tony

Jones

Hey Bjorn,
If you find yourself heading through the Sacramento area, let me know. The baby HEMTT and I are easy to find and would be glad to say hello. If you have enough time I can get you into our shop and a visit through our RR Museum.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tony: I like that, the country is suddenly shrinking. :)
I'll be driving the deuce hauling an M532 laundry trailer. It's not a commercial rig and there should be no need to stop at weigh stations.

Jones: I will certainly accept your invitation and will look forward to seeing your masterpiece (Baby Hemett).

Picture of the trailer below.

Attachments

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
Any part of the Georgia trip puttin you near Atlanta, or are you going to drop to I-10 to head west from Jesup? Just curious about the trailer, friend of mine builds them and I was wondering if it was one of his.

Best of the trip and godspeed.

Squirt_Truck, NW of the big A

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know Mike, I think the gas is better for a genset anyway, unless it is running at full capacity at all times. Diesels don't do well at low load conditions, never gets hot, slobber etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, that is exactly why I got rid of the 30KW Kohler I had. I just couldn't keep a load on it.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, I'll be in medesto ca the weekend of the 19th and the next week. I'll be driving a 69 kaiser j200 back to houston. I can give you my cell mabye we can meet up or help if you need a hand. I'm heading to boyce equipment on the way to pick up a few things. If you happen to need anything i'd be happy to help.

Tony

Bjorn,
If you are leaving on the 14 July, you should be here on the 20 or so. If you would need tire maint or ect, know the local truck area, also Antelope Valley Truck , who adv in all the MV magazines, is about 1 1/2 hrs from here and has a lot of mil truck parts..If you may have to go there you could stop by and say hello to the member in Santa Clarita, DJ, I think,also there is another SS member about 10 min from here, he has an m-35. As time gets closer we can plan to met and have Dinner , lunch or whatever..Ventura is just down the road. Once you get to San Bernardino, you can call be. About 3 hrs away, with a duece maybe more.

Let me know.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm taking notes, as soon as my schedule gets more accurate, I'll let you know what I can and cannot do.
Often just a small excursion takes away 1/2 a day or more. After the trailer is dropped off, I'll be more flexible too.
I will be able to haul stuff back and loading/unloading cargo is never a problem. :)

Thank you all for your kind offers!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I plan to leave before the end of July, probably around the 28th of July.
Got lots of biodiesel to prepare plus a few other things like Joel's locust lumber, which should be ready for him next week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks