• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plans for California trip in the works

CGarbee

Good luck, safe trip...
Check in with us and let us know how it is progressing...
Let us know if you need anything along the way...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The unforeseen ocurred! Almost ready to leave this mornig when I got a call from the local VFW post commander. He had been impressed by the "flag pole lift" several weeks ago and asked if I could help place some logs on his cabin project....
Two hours later I'm at the site putting up log walls. The containers I had loaded on the truck had hastely been unloaded. The dolly was left on the bed since it took some time to get it just right.
I left the deuce at the site. It will take about 3 days to finish the job.

Sorry folks, I'll be another 3 or 4 days late getting to the West Coast. With luck I'll have more spending money for the trip (M1075 bear with me, please, I'm still very interested in that M656).

Attachments

jasonjc

Work before fun I think we all know how that go's. I'll see you when you get here. and the offer to store the M656 is still good. good luck on the trip.

Look at that beautiful countryside in the background, wow.

Bjorn,
I was just thinking, it might be interesting to bring a disposable camera along and take pictures of the people you get to meet with their rigs and keep a log book of your trip to share as you go. Im jealous of your adventure about to unfold - I love road trips.

Keep us posted. Looking forward to meeting up with you on this side of the universe.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished the crane work today and returned home. All the rafters were set and the new steel boom extension worked great.
Dang that multifuel doesn't like running at low rpms for hours on end, ran a bit rough coming home, but should be back to normal after a few more miles.
It totalled about 25 hours at no more than 1,400 rpm and used up about 20 gallons of bio fuel.

I'll tie up some loose ends tomorrow....

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Total horizontal reach is now about 35 feet. We figured that the rafters weighed about 500 lb ea.

BTW, in all images the engine is running at 1,400 rpm and uses a 25/75 mix of BD and WVO at 135°F and virtually no visible exhaust.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost ready...again.
The trailer lights have a poor ground, so I'll be working on it for a while, must have falied on the trip from Georgia because we "fixed" it at Wayne's place before leaving there.
Stuck some reflector tape on the trailer for effect. :)

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn: one day... I'll have a crane just like that beautiful Hiab! And maybe a crane truck too!
And my wildest dream: traveling by Deuce across the USA!... :D

Take care and have a safe trip!

Gerhard

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ready at last. :)

Worked on the trailer wiring this morning and found, as usual, a bad ground.

Spent the rest of the day on little things loading and adjusting.
Got enough biodiesel/WVO loaded for a 2,400 mile range with the trailer, based on the previous trip (8 mpg). Gross vehicle weight is about 29,000 lb.

The "Safari deuce", Adrian calls it....

I will check in at truck stops, since they usually offer internet service nowadays and my tracfone number is 276 952-8704.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it to the the Flying J truckstop (MM182) just past Nashville today.
Truck running well a bit hard to stop at 31,400 lb...
Kinda hot, but not too bad.
Later

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped at the Truckstop at mm84 I40 in AR tonight.
The #3 IP to injector line is leaking at the connection to the hydraulic head
and I'll have to fix that tomorrow at Jasons.
Still haven't attained that mad fanatical look, so I guess I'm okay.
Should arrive at Jason's place late morning tomorrow.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the day with Jason, traded the dolly for six new 1100's NDCC tires. Great guy! He has a beautiful fully equipped air conditioned shop for any kind of work and he sweatted it out putting the new tires on the rims.
I siped all the tires before they were installed on the truck.

I replaced the leaking fuel line (#3 steel line from the IP), but there is also a leak from the area below the hydraulic head, apparently a failing gasket. I'll have to live with that untill a get back from the trip. Wonder if it has anything to do with extensive use of bio fuels....

Hope to get on I-70 West some time tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks