• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plans for California trip in the works

area52

RE: Re: trip

Bjorn,
That would be great! I plan on getting to Hesperia late in the afternoon and driving into the night since its gonna be VERY hot!!

Let me know what sort of plans you have.

area52

RE: Re: trip

Bjorn,
Where will you be when you start to head back? Are you meeting up with Gary and Devin and then starting back from there? I found a trailer down by Riverside which is east of L.A. and was wondering if its too far out of your way. Are you planning on bringing anything back with you?

Wade

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wade, not firm on the plans on the day when I'm leaving, but I'll be coming from the Ventura area most likely and heading for Victorville that same day.
Riverside may or may not be very much out of the way depending on my route and time of day.
According to the map shown here, it would be about an hour each way for you after picking up your deuce. What paperwork would be involved getting the trailer? Is it "road ready"? Is it an M105 or do I need to load it?
I'll try to help if I can.

Attachments

Wade-
Hwy 58 will take you right through Tehachapi. Nice town, I used to have a house there. We'll catch up with you some other time I guess. Safe journey to you.

Bjorn,
I do need to get up to my shop in Yuba City (just north of Sacramento). I want to meet up with you in Nor Cal and bench race with you and Jones and see the 9th wonder of the world (The Baby HEMTT). Keep us informed of your departure and any updates on whereabouts if possible. I'll monitor your progress and plan on my trip accordingly.

area52

Bjorn,

I was thinking about driving the deuce down there to get it. Wasn't sure how far out of the way it will be for you but thanks for the offer. Its one of the trailers that Mark Blair is selling on his website. Still not sure if I am gonna buy it or not.

Gary,

Yea Tehachapi is pretty nice, we used to stop there when we lived in Atascadero and went to Vegas. I actually saw snow there once!! When are you going up to Yuba City?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need some advise here, to deliver the laundry trailer to Eureka, NV, I have at least two routes in mind, one going cross country on I-40 to Flagstaff, AZ and then North to Eureka. A second route is going cross country on I-70 to Denver and then I-50 to Eureka.
My question is, which route would eliminate the most mountain driving? The Southern route is only about 75 miles longer, but if a lot of slow driving can be avoided that way, the Southern route will be my choice.

The gross vehicle weight will be about 29,000 lb until the trailer is dropped off...

Thanks for any help here.

Attachments

area52

My vote would be the southern route. I've driven I40 and its not real bad as far as mountains go, Flagstaff is the only section in the mountains. I haven't driven I70 but I know up around Denver there are a lot of mountains.

Good luck

breelanr

Bjorn,
I-70 west of Denver reaches elevations in excess of 11,000 feet. A large number of trucks use this route daily, they just do it very slowly due to the long sections of 6-8% grade. With a load like you have, the southern route would be better.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's still possible, but it'll be slow going for you, my max speed with the laundry trailer will probably only be about 55.
I'll keep you posted with dates and times. The return trip is more interesting when we both have the deuces.

area52 said:
Gary,
When are you going up to Yuba City?
I am keeping an eye for Bjorn's eta there. I want to hook up with him and Jones (Baby HEMTT) in Sacramento.

I'll kill 5 birds with one rock that way.

Bjorn, I noticed you posting about going 1 40 or 1 70. That I 70 route is really up in some high country at Eisenhower Pass Tunnel (11,000 ft) west of Denver. I was just through there during my Honeymoon last month.
Have you thought of going I 80 and then down from Wendover to Eureka, Nevada? It seems you are going way south to get to I 40 then go back up again - unless you have business in the lower half of the US on the way or are coming straight out of Kansas City. That I 80 route is flat and nothing to look at but a few oil derricks and ground hogs.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm... thanks Gary, I'll check the difference in milage. No, I don't have any compelling reason to take the Southern (I-40) route going West. If possible, I rather hook up with Wade going East when he too has a deuce.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gary, that sounds great! If you let the oil sit for a while (days, weeks), the clear oil ends up on top and can easily be poured off and filtered as shown in the image above. The rest that's not clear, the fatty hydrogenated stuff goes into the biodiesel tubs.

Running a little late getting out of here, but I will be gone for 2-3 weeks and want to feel right about the kids and the house before leaving.
Just need to get a few more things taken care of and then I'm off.... :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck! :driver:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks DH!

Spent this morning "compacting" Jason's dolly and trying to find the best way to stow it for minimum bed space.
The space in front of it will see 53 cubies of biodiesl/WVO fuel, about 250 gallons.

Barring something unforeseen, I should be leaving tomorrow morning.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Godspeed brother Bjorn if I don't talk to you before you leave. Call if I can help with anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks