• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Police Dept. HMMWV

Jones

Our local police department got a suplus HMMWV and did a little modification to it. I like the personalized upholstery detail on the seatbacks.

I'm thinkin' our K-9 officers are tougher than I thought-- or that they're up against tougher suspects than I realized.

The equipment guys are currently trying to marrry 24v HMMWV to 12v P. D. electronics; then it hits the streets.

Attachments

998Junkie

Our local police department got a suplus HMMWV and did a little modification to it. I like the personalized upholstery detail on the seatbacks.

I'm thinkin' our K-9 officers are tougher than I thought-- or that they're up against tougher suspects than I realized.

The equipment guys are currently trying to marrry 24v HMMWV to 12v P. D. electronics; then it hits the streets.
I think it's cool but who is paying for this? If it's the local property owners then wow...just wow.

This is in no ways a political post.

K9Vic

Hope that bad boy has A/C for the pooches!
Looks like there is a roof mounted one that you can make out in a few of the pictures just behind the lightbar. I am sure that would supply the whole cabin area including he attack puppies.

It is a very nice HMMWV, I know allot of departments are getting them from the government as of lately.

midcounty

A local PD in my area just got one. People are going nuts over it, complaining about the cost. What they don't realize is the department doesn't pay for it. They are free loaners from the federal government. If local government agencies didn't make use of them, they would end up destroyed and scrapped. I support seeing them preserved and used like this. It saves the departments money when they get useful vehicles for the cost of a paint job and installing equipment. I am sure the pups will appreciate it, and it looks good.

Jones

I'm pretty sure A/C was the first thing that went in. Probably for primarily cooling the back section, with any left-over cool air vented up to the two-legged officer.
I don't want to use the word "pampered" but these dog's needs are definately seen to-- because when they're working, THEY ARE WORKING.

The only things the P. D. budget covers are police-related add-ons like comm. gear and light bars, paint and decals. These are on loan, not a gift. If the military wants the vehicle back, they give the agency just enough time to remove the add-on equipment. A P. D., or fire department, or etc. that no longer needs a particular piece of equipment can either transfer it to another like agency or return it to DRMO for disposition.

SGTskully

Thats is Awesome. You r right people dont know they are loaners. we used a lot of older military vehicles as Grass rigs in the Fire Depts. Just paint and equipment is the cost.
[thumbzup]

bfdvollie

We got our 998 right now to replace a 30 year old brush truck and we're costing out the items. Did some canvas painting yesterday. We're just not a fan of green :)

bfdvollie

Nah not going to scrap this one. We found a paint that can be rolled or sprayed on. We're going for the Chicago FD style with black on top and red on bottom with the doors, brush guard and cooling inlet also painted black with red wheels. Our big thing is trying to get the 24v down to 12v for the emergency equipment. Local LEO in county above us has 4 of them so we may do a road trip to get ideas. :).

xtsix

my local pd just picked up 2 hmmwv's an m35a3 and 2 m916s. they paid 7200 a piece for the hmmwvs and im not shure on the rest. im not exactly cirtan why they bought the 916s but they cant find a trailer to hook them to:cookoo: so they have just been sitting. they bought the a3 to haul sand bags and equipment, but everyone refuses to drive it without a radio and a/c:lol: boy, i cant wait for the trucks to go to the police auction in a few years.

Lex_Ordo

What about support issues with parts and repair?
Obviously there are tons of surplus parts around for the duece and such, but the HMMWV is more electronic than mechanical, and AM Gen, clearly states they don't support the vehicle outside the DOD, so how does the job handle this?

Trainman

Very cool. I like the high rise roof. I just wish there were more "surplus" Hummers and that they weren't being crushed due to Gov't regulations...:-( Thanks for the pics.

EODTECH90

Im wondering why AM general wont sell parts outside DoD, and uh well having driven everything from a 998 to a BEOD to a 1114 uparmor im wodering if the LEO reciving this equipment have some sort of certification process to ensure they understand the limitations and capabilities of this equipment, i mean if its not armored why bother .
Oh, and by the way for those LEOs that wont drive a 9 series without A/C and a radio try driving a BEOD in GA heat with ACUs an IOTV gloves and Eyepro..... NO A/C its do able just sayin

NEIOWA

Many (not all) FD can logically use HMMWV for wildland fire use. They need offroad go anywhere capability.

But cops? It's just iindugence of the wannabe Johnney Rambo syndrome. Same that leads to the proliferation of "SWAT" teams at local/state/fed level and issue of automatic "assault weapons" to Barney Fife". Too much money too little adult supervision.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks