• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Police Dept. HMMWV

My agency has taken advantage of this program. It's hard to pass on a 4WD truck in the condition these are in for free. We have used ours for rescue in flooding situations, search and rescue in off-road terrain, and many other things where normal police vehicles can't make it. These trucks literally have helped us on several occaisions.

The trucks we obtained required very little maintenance. A few batteries, hoses, fluids, and paint.

As far as training, some of you folks seem to forget the amount of current military personnel in the LE ranks as well as former soldiers and Marines. Most LE agencies that receive these use them sparingly and also have training available through National Guard and other Military outfits. It's funny to share the stories and memories amomgst ourselves that we all have in these vehicles.

Spare parts are also available for free through this program. You only have to know the NSN to requisition surplus parts. These parts typically have been in storage for years and will also be discarded by Uncle Sam if not taken by the LE agencies. The only cost is shipping if needed.

I would love to see the rules changed so that the suplus HMMWV's could be sold to the public, but we don't have any control over that. I hate the fact that these are torch cut and crushed if not taken. When LE agencies no longer want the trucks, they have to be turned in for desctruction/demil.

Killer_Junior

NE IOWA wrote:

Many (not all) FD can logically use HMMWV for wildland fire use. They need offroad go anywhere capability.

But cops? It's just iindugence of the wannabe Johnney Rambo syndrome. Same that leads to the proliferation of "SWAT" teams at local/state/fed level and issue of automatic "assault weapons" to Barney Fife". Too much money too little adult supervision.
Or, maybe it's agencies that need heavy off-road capability for bad weather and disaster response, and want to do it in a way that doesn't cost the local taxpayers a bunch of money, and without tearing up expensive patrol vehicles in roles they aren't suited for.

Check the facts before you resort to name-calling.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But cops? It's just iindugence of the wannabe Johnney Rambo syndrome. Same that leads to the proliferation of "SWAT" teams at local/state/fed level and issue of automatic "assault weapons" to Barney Fife". Too much money too little adult supervision.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Ignorance is bliss! I don't see you lining up to serve warrants on a drug house with a revolver. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm smart enough not to raid a house known to have machine guns without my own machine gun.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ignorance is bliss! I don't see you lining up to serve warrants on a drug house with a revolver. I'm no rocket scientist but I'm smart enough not to raid a house known to have machine guns without my own machine gun.
and I'm quite sure that the Oakland Cty Sherrif has those up armoured humvees just for that situation in the wonderful city of Pontiac, MI. :shock:

wjruth

Life Cycle Cost - Short term the HMMWV will cost more for fuel than the average SUV but does not require the big expense to buy. Long term the maintenance cost will be higher for the HMMWV. If used as a front line vehicle the new SUV will carry a warranty and be designed to operate for long days and many miles. Cost to operate should also take into count vehicle downtime to find replacement parts and mechanics to fix. If a department knows this going in and uses it as a specialized vehicle it makes sense, but not as a front line vehicle.

Maverick1701

We (sheriffs office) has two and we LOVE them....there is no cost for parts (get them all through leso for free like the HMMWV) and I do most of the work since I have the green disease.

there shouldn't be a higher cost for repair maint...all of the parts are available through LESO. If you dont do the work yourselves its still not too pricey (at least ours isn't)

They are AWESOME machines

Last edited:

depdog1

Bob H wrote: "Maybe I shouldn't mention Oakland County, Mi Sheriff dept and their uparmored humvees complete with turret............"

As a member of that Dept. I can tell you that the up armored with turret is used for barricaded gunman situations and other SWAT calls involving armed suspects. Also our SWAT Team is often called by neighboring Counties for SWAT assistance due to being outfitted with the proper equipment. At a very low cost to the tax payers these vehicle offer great protection to my fellow Brother and Sisters. Have you priced what an armored special response vehicle costs from private distributors?
The price is staggering. I'm taken back by some of the comments on this thread by members. This is by far one of the best sites I have found for information and friendly answers on tech questions when asked. I hope this information helps a few of you.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I shouldn't mention Oakland County, Mi Sheriff dept and their uparmored humvees complete with turret............
Hey Bob, Hows the hammer hangen..? I am glad you mentioned Oakland County.

I would like to see all these HMMWV's going to the Local Fire Departments and retrofitted for such, and not the Oakland County Sheriff's Department. Right now they could be doing some good in Colorado fighting fires, not trying to make the Oakland County Sheriffs department look good. Oakland County does not need them. The fire Department does the rescue work while the sheriffs just stand by direct traffic, eat donuts, drink free BP coffee and watch.

readyman

Very nice rebuild. Is that gloss paint over CARC or a 'strip to Alodine' and repaint? Good idea getting the local Line-X guy to do the lower panels did you use the XTRA w/Kevlar for bulletproofing. :-D

All that sparkle makes me want to throw a gloss coat of Imron over my Woodland Camo CARC so I can be a 'real hit' in the local parades!

Attachments

RodVT

Re-purposed HMMWV's

Here are a few photos of the M-1025 that I recently finished for the town of Richmond, Vermont. After serious flooding a year ago our Police Chief requested it from the LESO in lieu of getting a Tahoe (and daily bad mileage). It hasn't had any deployments yet but we did have a good day of training on the tank trails at our local Guard base. It is pretty much stock except for removing the turret and I had to do a "pretty" paint job to mollify the citizens that were worried about it being used to intimidate the populace. It will be available for Police, Rescue, and Fire duty. The slantback is perfect for protecting a patient to bring them out of the woods, or down a bad driveway. It is an '86 but it had the re-build in 2005 and was really solid right off the base. The paint is nothing fancy (there was zero budget) but it seems to be sticking (mostly).

Rod West
Blackfork Towing
Richmond, VT

Attachments

jeeplvr247

Maybe I shouldn't mention Oakland County, Mi Sheriff dept and their uparmored humvees complete with turret............
They also have a UAV that looks like a V100 on steroids. It is parked behind the court in Rochester. You know what a rough town Rochester is.

On the cost of the HMMWVs. I was down at a car show in Ohio by my fiance's condo and I noticed that the road was blocked by the local PDs new armored HMMWV. I went over to take a look at it and found a write up describing how they got it, it was free! They only had to pay for the fuel to drive it from Write Patterson back to Indian lake. It had all the military gear still in it and ever had AC. I wish I could get a 2001 armored HMMWV for the price of diesel to bring it home.

Randy646

That looks real good. I was thinking of putting LED Military Flood Lamps on the front and rear, plus LED headlights. I was debating about adding a bumper.

RodVT

Thanks Randy. The exposure on the camera made the work lights look a little brighter than they are, but for under $40 each off eBay for 24v 1800 lumen lights, I think they were a good deal. I am considering adding another set facing forward, but I'd like to see it do some work first.

southdave

heck it will end up parked in a handicap spot at the mall with two or three cruiser around it while they check out women.. meanwhile your windows will be smashed and your radio is ripped from the dash 100ft away.. lol

Last edited:

topgun217

I had one all lined up for our Sheriffs Office, but the county commissioners shot it down. Their excuse: Nothing is free from Uncle Sam! I tried to explain the LESO program to "Larry, Curly, & Moe but they would't listen. Though they didn't have a problem when I obtained about $25,000 worth of Sony Toughbooks and brand new monitors and a ton of other free brand new items the Sheriff couldn't afford to buy because they had cut his budget. The plan for our HMMWV was for use only in snow storms and flooding or other off road use, not a daily driver. Trust me when I say Your local Sheriffs are suffering because of budget cuts and a lack of understanding by your county fathers. We even had one of our county commisioners state " Why does the county need deputies, all that is required by the Sheriff is to maintain a jail". I guess crimes don't happen in the country/rural areas, god help us all if that mentality spreads across the country. I guess he'll have to call ghost busters when someone breaks into his house.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks