• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

86m1028

Just picked up truck from GSA & it had a stuck relay & burnt up starter.:shock:

New relay just installed & waiting on starter to be rebuilt.

edpdx

I did it around the first of the year. I added the resister as another member said it couldn't hurt. I have since changed to a non-resister unit- just because I installed a new relay to rule out a starting issue. Now I have 2 spare (known good).

Seems a solid way to replace a lesser able component- I have no reason not to recommend doing the mod.

SPCWarning

Planning on it SOON

I got my 1009 about a week before I came back across the pond to work. Pretty much just tinkered around with it before I came back over. Been here a month now, headed home tomorrow. It's the first item on my "MV to-do" list. Reason? Reading everyone else's reasons is reason enough. I certainly don't want neglecting this simple fix to be the reason I can't reach my destination someday. Sounds like a very worthwhile and money-saving upgrade. Thanks doghead and all who've contributed![thumbzup] I'll let everyone know when it's done.

Anubis8472

Relay upgrade make significant difference, starter reacts way better and stronger – doghead, Thank you!!
Was going to mention something along this line myself...

Just did the mod today, everything went perfectly.
I talked to a guy locally who knew a couple people that had thier relays fuse on them.
CUCV's are not exactly common around here, so to hear that realy drove home how probable it was that I may face the same issue.
You're straight up replacing one relay with a beefier relay, so it can't hurt.

I did notice after the mod that my starter seems to be cranking with more authority.

One thing that surprised me was the small gauge of the ground wire. Seeing big, heavy gauge wiring coupled with a tiny gauge ground always gives me pause.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ground wire only provides ground for the relay coil. That is a very low amp item.

sksAL

ive reversed the mount from under to in front of the dash, just in case it goes full retard, and ill jerk the plug. ill install the switch next and keep a spare in the truck, those things went out all the time on my fords. great mod dh!!!!!

acesneights1

I did it a few weeks ago. I had actually read the article awhile back and it crapped out where I did not have internet access to reread the diagram but it was easy to figure out with a test light after knowing what to look for from the article. Great write up.

sksAL

and o'rielly auto has the correct relay,701860, 200 amp. i did get a ford starter solenoid- only 120 amp.... BACK IT WENT! i dont know if it can work, but im doing changing out with the doghead relay.

wayne pick

I did it last Sunday as per Doghead's instructions. I used heat shrink terminals and the NAPA part #, It takes about a half hour to do it. Cut, strip and and pinch terminals on four wires and your done, It's too easy! PS follow Doghead's advice, I think he has this stuf figured out.

BIG_RED

I removed the factory relay because it died (thankfully in the "off" position) after riding through some pretty rough terrain to go rescue some bonehead in a toyota who got himself hung-up on a ridge (since the Jeep he was with didn't have the girth). M1009 dragged it off the ridge no problem. I was very impressed with my M1009 that day - up and down some decent inclines, pulling through gravel.. Wish I got pics, would've posted a thread. Anyways the next day she wouldn't start. No click no nothing. Initially I thought I must've wacked the starter on the ground and knocked something loose.. But pulling the relay and jumping it with a U-shaped piece of copper wire got her fired right up. Gonna have to find me a relay though.. I get funny looks from people fiddling under the dash every time I start the truck.

Enginerd

I bought the relay last night after work but have not had a chance to finish it yet. When I got the truck, the original relay was melted and do not want to be in the middle of nowhere and have it happen again. Better safe than sorry.

Jeremiah_Johnson

I have purchased the solenoid but yet to install it , I was concerned with the loud snap of solenoid . I came across a post here where a member said you could install a resistor to lessen the snap but did not remember the ohm value of resistor . If some one does no ohm value of resistor please post for the rest of us Thanks JJ.

wayne pick

I like to hear that snap, That way I know it's working and with all that 6.2 clatter going on under the hood one more sound isn't going to bother me. These trucks are spartan and noisey. The D5MXL I run is quieter in the cab.:)