• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power issues

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, 395s.

I understand you might not LIKE the answers I give you, but if you want a mud truck, you want big cubes. The gas motors give you much better rpm range to get the wheel speed up to kick the mud out of the tread. I am only telling you what you will need to do to make the deuce a GOOD mud truck.

deuce_09

has smaller tires but doin half that good is fine by me
the pit at mud fest is only like 2ft. deep the guy in the vid would do fine there, but at my buddies houses the pits are like stock tanks..the guy in the vid wouldn't have a prayer

Last edited:

deuce_09

has smaller tires but doin half that good is fine by me
the pit at mud fest is only like 2ft. deep the guy in the vid would do fine there, but at my buddies houses the pits are like stock tanks..the guy in the vid wouldn't have a prayer
but do yall c my point?its 50" or up in my buddies pits..

gimpyrobb

How much do you need to impress them? 1600 are only 53" tall, that would still get stuck. If the mud is 50", you need something tiny with moderate horse power to skim across the top. Yo don't have any pics to post?

gimpyrobb

The deuce in the video you posted was going through a mud colored pond. Real mud does not move like that. You are building a truck to go through stuff I don't normally get to play in. I have given you the best answers I can from here(Ohio).

MO MV man

Well, if you have the time, I think a 500caddy motor transplant would really be a sweet ride. You get big cubes and much more rpm. The only thing about that swap is you would have an auto trans.
500 Caddy all the way.
They don't like RPM's unless you want to spend a ton of money on valvetrain parts to make 'em live.

BUT keep them below 5000-5200?
And you'll have a BLAST!

Gross torque rating back in '70 was 550 lbs..
That's diesel torque on gas.

Sorry to ramble. :)

gimpyrobb

The way I see it, what goes wrong when you get a deuce in the mud? The front end sinks. When you take out that anchor of a motor multifuel and put in something that weighs a tad more than a 350, your getting a much better balanced truck.

MO MV man

The way I see it, what goes wrong when you get a deuce in the mud? The front end sinks. When you take out that anchor of a motor multifuel and put in something that weighs a tad more than a 350, your getting a much better balanced truck.
Gimpy, you hit the nail on the head.
What would a Cad 500 and a 400 turbo automatic take off the nose?
I'm thinking 1500+ lbs.? [thumbzup]

Heck, that combo would be a BLAST on the street, too.
I'd probably have wheel hop issues on my bobber with that much torque and, no kidding, it'd probably come out of the hole at a stoplight like crazy-for a truck it's size, that is-and surprise all the hot rod diesel guys in town. :mrgreen:

Be nice.....the old multifuel's not an "anchor".
It has it's purpose and it's NOT for big wheel speed and slingin' mud. ;-)

deuce_09

texas,san antonio...
ive thought about getting a cucv, preferbably an m1028 for front and rear lockers.
put a 6bt in it,a 4or6in lift on it,some hummer rims and tires,and 2" wheel spacers an call it a day.it would be cheaper and would get through alot.and plus it could replace my daily in the mean time
vs.
doing all the work to a deuce,lockers,cut frame.mount bed and tires,lift it,find the right bellhousing,put a cummins in it, hydro assist steering or 5ton ps.....ect.

wat do yall think,would a cucv would be the better choice

RRAY670

I've thought for a while now a 500 cad would be awesome in a deuce, especially since I have a few kickin around. Has anyone on here actually done it already? Just curious as to how it is in real world situations as opposed to theory. I was actually thinking going 500 cad with a 4l80e behind it. Being a low rpm motor I think it would benefit greatly from a .75 overdrive. Jegs has the adapter plates to bolt the 500 to the 80 for about 50 bucks, and I'm currently running a 4l80e in my 72 c10 without an $800 computer, by shifting it with switches. What y'all think? Seems to me to be a good idea in theory. Especially for the low cost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks