• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering woes

WV New Guy

Saturday after the parade on the way home I developed power steering issues. Seemed like it was only half working and pulling every once and a while .
Did the following .
1. Checked air pressure in front tires
2. Checked and added power steering fluid
3. After further driving found fluid puking out of the pump
4. All hoses check and all are in good shape.

1.My thoughts are jack up the front and put it on stands cause there's air n system.
2.replace all hoses
3.rebuild pump

I would like to try to get an easy fix as I promised the wife to take the truck to a Veterans event at the local VA hospital as she volunteers there.

Any help or sharing of previous remedeys would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks Dave

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pictures of where it shows it puking out of would be helpful. More than likely its just a pump replacement if its not leaking on a hose. Or a weld if its something metal on the pump.

Napa number for a replacement pump is MBI RP40302X

Same for A1 and A2 trucks. Without pulley.

WV New Guy

Took the top off the pump and found the gasket not seated also took apart the breather , then I had some overspray on the assist cylinder so I polished that off . Topped the unit off with fluid and drove from the bottom driveway to the top with no issues . Will not be road testing until tomorrow if the storms stop . Will take pics that's for the help.

WV New Guy

Pic video refuses to load not sure you can see fluid leaking trying to load video . Also have pics of assist cylinder which seems like it's aftermarket . Really wouldn't surprise me PO had no idea how to check any fluids pretty much put fuel in truck and drove it . Wife considers we rescued it from PO.

Attachments

Csm Davis

WV new guy cylinder looks normal have a 931A2 doing same thing and the military had already diagnosed and marked bad on the steering head will be changing it this week with a good take off. If this doesn't fix the problem I will let you know.

sent from my decrepit fingers

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I never have found a part number for an aftermarket assist cylinder for the parts spreadsheet. Anyone? Send it over

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

WV New Guy

Wes the steering cylinder says HI- something on it it's grey in color as opposed to OD or Tan was on the truck when I got it . I think it might have had some type of MFG. sticker on it at one time.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes the steering cylinder says HI- something on it it's grey in color as opposed to OD or Tan was on the truck when I got it . I think it might have had some type of MFG. sticker on it at one time.
NSN 2530-00-134-4619
P/N HI-11664540

The rest of the part numbers and manufacturers are in the screenshot below.

Screenshot_2016-06-06-22-55-06.jpg

WV New Guy

That explains that I knew someone on here would have the info .
Thank you now I know what cylinder is on there for those of you with a lot more 5 ton exp. are all the cylinders interchangable ?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter

WV New Guy

Ok looks like I need a new pump drove downtown 8 miles fine on the way down disaster on the way back . This maybe a newbie question but my neighbor may have a used pump but he asked me the question is it a clockwise or counter clockwise turning pump ? Can any of you guys provide guidance on this Truck is 91 BMY 923A2 with 8.3
Thanks

WV New Guy

Called CSM Davis today after waiting for my neighbor who's a over the road mechanic tried to fit another Cummins pump on it with no luck . Have a couple emails out to some surplus shops now that the CSM directed me to .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks