• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering woes

This pump set up is on my M52a2 that had the multifuel removed and a civilian Mack endt 673 put in . The pump is the pump from the old multifuel whith the in side parts reversed to turn the right way . it is a simple set up that has worked very well . I posted this because it is very close to the pump in question .

Attachments

WV New Guy

Heard from C&C no luck waiting to hear back from part target but not being a government organization or provider to the government might be a stumbling block . Has anyone used them for a personal purchase before?
Im thinking Monday will be the soonest I hear from the other vendors.

WV New Guy

Thanks to Swamp Donkey I now have the DANA , EATON, and Windward part numbers to cross reference . I know my local NAPA has gotten pumps for the NHC-250 motor for a couple of other guys but my 8.3 is the first on the mountain .

Thank you all for the assistance .

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heard from C&C no luck waiting to hear back from part target but not being a government organization or provider to the government might be a stumbling block . Has anyone used them for a personal purchase before?
Im thinking Monday will be the soonest I hear from the other vendors.
You don't have to be the government to order from most of those parts sourcing folks. Expect prices to be about what the government pays though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks to Swamp Donkey I now have the DANA , EATON, and Windward part numbers to cross reference . I know my local NAPA has gotten pumps for the NHC-250 motor for a couple of other guys but my 8.3 is the first on the mountain .

Thank you all for the assistance .
Did csmdavis actually answer? I will be at his place in a few hours.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

WV New Guy

Yes Wes he answered the phone and I got some great pointers , tore all the old lines out today not sure if I should also try to replace the cooler ,and the cylinder also . Waiting on some contacts to email back or else I will be driving up to philly and eastern to get one.

WV New Guy

Ok got a new pump ,hoses ,filter just wondering exactly what fluid would be correct for the power steering pump . I have been told that 15W40 would be fine but I'm a little Leary of that ? Any pointers ?

I have tried 15/40 and thought it was to heavy . Regular power steering fluid is working fine my reservoir is a lot smaller then what I had and the fluid gets warm as is should but not hot.

MtnSnow

The Lubrication order for the M939 trucks call for 10w oil (OE/HDO) most just use standard 10w hydraulic oil

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your drag link and slave cylinder ends are adjusted properly. If there is slop in them, it causes issues with the power steering.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced all of my p/s hoses & connections, completely flushed system and filled with p/s fluid. Works great.

Kept having leaks around pump & reservoir; took reservoir apart 3 times and installed new O-rings, finally I thoroughly cleaned mating surfaces of pump & reservoir for a thin coating of The Right Stuff. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

When installing your new reservoir & pump, you might consider a thin coating of sealant between them to avoid future leaks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend did the hose for me is it the wrong stuff? View attachment 640975View attachment 640976
While it might work it is technically wrong. Air brake hose is not rated for oil/hydraulics. Yes I know it has a teflon nylon core. Hose for oil will be specked with a different DOT rating.

Mine came with dexron in the power steering. Dexron or power stg fluid is comparable and is better since it has anti foam and anti wear additives in it that plain ole 10W or 15w40 motor oil does not.

Just ramblings from my previous life selling parts for 20 years......

WV New Guy

Pick up my new DOT hydraulic hoses with new fittings next week done by a local shop here that has been doing it for 40 yrs . New stuff is way nicer than old stuff shop said the cooler hoses were actual vehicle heater hose . Now we got proper rated,application hoses . Pics next week of the hoses and pump install thanks for the help as always.

grendel

Pick up my new DOT hydraulic hoses with new fittings next week done by a local shop here that has been doing it for 40 yrs . New stuff is way nicer than old stuff shop said the cooler hoses were actual vehicle heater hose . Now we got proper rated,application hoses . Pics next week of the hoses and pump install thanks for the help as always.
Any idea what size the fittings were? My cooler is leaking, so I want to go aftermarket with AN hoses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks