• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

problem with oshkosh equipment BEWARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyxpl

Just because you paid big bucks don't expect anymore than if you paid $ 3500 from an SS member . Did you ask them for a list of the things they had done to the truck when they said it was " Gone Through ". A truck fresh from gl may not have leaks , but soon after being put back on the road they can loose seals and start to leak .

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The deal is this, OE is after the BIG customer who is used to seeing a high price on a piece of equipment, not MVers like us who know the trucks, the CORP. customers like power line companies ect, see a high price and think that's not bad, that is what we are used to paying for a turn key piece of equipment, these buyers will buy a truck site unseen to fill there needs, thay don't really know where to look like we do, and if it tares up, thay fix it, just a cost of doing business. PAINT hids a lot of sins, you could have a CRAP truck, cheap paint it, and a real nice A1 truck with crap paint , the CRAP truck will sell first every time to the UNIMFORMED.

OE does NOT care about MVers, we ars just a pest, nor is there parts prices aimed at us but at the above customers who are used to paying high prices for parts.

By the way, OE advertises here on SS, both by banner and in the classifieds.

Last edited:

bill2444

All I know that i am glad that i bought my m35a2 from an SS member who had made it his hobby, rather than from a business that has them to make money.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased my truck from a surplus dealer. I believe the dealer is member, seller and advertiser here. I have not, for one moment, felt the dealer steered me wrong. He performed some heavy custom work for me that I was not able to perform myself due lack of space, time and heavy duty resources. That is why I chose their services. The truck was sold to me, in writing, AS IS and I signed away to that after asking a lot of questions.

I, as a military veteran, know military vehicles are idiosyncratic creatures. I bought my truck knowing full and well that it would, and it has, develop some type of frustrating problem. I fork out the money, set aside the time, get the truck back up to snuff and drive on. I think these rigs were purposefully designed to give a bunch of bored young privates something to keep them busy. Now, we as MV hobbiests, have inherited these maintenance intensive creatures and it is our duty to keep them rolling no matter how perfect or imperfect we received them. Like another member put in his signature line..."Leak of the Week Club".

If I bought a brand spankin' new pick-up truck tomorrow I indeed expect it to be flawless or it goes back to the dealer until it is. It's unfortunate you had this bad experience, but then again, we all live and learn.

And to the dealer I purchased from, thanks again for your customer service. That truck always manages to put a smile on someones face every time I drive it. That makes it all worth it.

Wait for it.........................2cents and :rant:

fireball

Reasonable expectations. Well, if we all agreed with you and admited that you were screwed, and OE fixed everything to your satisfaction. Are you willing to sell the truck to the next owner with better than new expectations. I think not. You are going to sell it as a used truck in good condition. You are not going to back it 100% to the next owners. OE seems to admited that they were responsible for the transfer case and backed it. Asking for relief on electrical problems or gaskets seem to be unreasonable on your part

Having said that, I do have a comment about leaks which everyone has seemed to skip. There is a difference between a sudden leak , natural seepage and deliberate coverage of a leak. For example, a heater core that leaks, so they pinch off the hose with a hose clamp. Or we steam clean a engine, permatex the leak, drop the oil level by one or two qts, and spray paint the questionable repair, and it works for a little while. Sure the truck savy buyer catches these things but some of us learn only by the school of hard luck. The ones that are dishonest rarely succeed but it sure doesn't feel that way sometimes.

prattcobra

they said the truck was gone through all seals replaced and entirely free of leaks and eveything works great.

I had a problem the minute they dropped the truck off the first time.
I paid over $21000.00 for the truck.

It should have been fixed.

They did not fix it right when it went back to them and they had it for 3 weeks.

Westech

CPL
you still bought a 30+ year old truck. unless it was a 100% every nut bolt gear seal replaced/overhauled.... man its a 30+ year old truck. That truck could have been leak free show room, but when you start using them things happen.
I don't want to call you foolish for paying ten times the cost of a fixer upper, and twice the cost of buying that fixer upper and having a member/local place over haul it to your satisfaction but come on.... It sounds like you jumped in to his hobby with both feet really not knowing how deep the water was. I think you figured just tossing cash at the "problem" (getting a good MV) would fix it... but like I sated above its a 30+ year old truck. Things happen.

Westech

CPL
And a sales man is not going to tell there "Might" be problems down the road if noting is evident at that time. It would be like when I bought my 2004 GMC 2500 HD new.. the sales man did not tell me "hey the injectors might go out on you 3 times in the next couple years" or "the gauges might fail". They can not predict the future. I think my post above kinda sums it up in a nut shell.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
they said the truck was gone through all seals replaced and entirely free of leaks and eveything works great.
I had a problem the minute they dropped the truck off the first time.
I paid over $21000.00 for the truck.
Their website says the only seals replaced, unless they are leaking at that time, are hub and axle seals. That's obviously because they are redoing the brakes and they have to replace them. Alternators go out and leaks start in old trucks. 21K for a truck, I think that's the highest cost I've ever heard anyone of spending. You could have had a show quality truck built for that!

TexMc

21000 for anything you should have expectations and the least of which is customer service. If a retailer lives and dies by customer relations if they continue to treat customers this way then they will reap what they have sown. It does not sound like unreasonable requests to me however it seems that oes needs to improve their customer relation skills.

I totally empathize with you and maybe a calmly nonconfrontational email explaining your problems and what your original expectations were and allow them to to explain their position YALL can come to a compromise on the repairs and allow them to save face.2cents

stampy

I feel sorry for you, and if I had paid that much I would be beyond PO'd too. More for paying that much than anything else. You could of had a new crate motor, axles and trans for that kind of $. Seems like they put it to ya but they advertised and you bought....buyer beware...thanks for the warning.aua

prattcobra

they want me to pay for the other parts they sent me to fix the broken door handle and window inside door pieces. I am so mad I don't want to talk to them I feel like telling them to kiss my ass and I won't pay for the parts they sent me.. I have to devote time to fix and my labor.

What would you do?

mudguppy

i wouldn't give them any more money - you're obviously not getting what you thought you were paying for in the first place. so why give more?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
PAY, and fix, not do business with them again, there are a LOT of parts sellers, both private and commercial

This is no different then the guy who see a super nice looking SHINY sports car, says to him self " wow, sure looks nice, bet it would be fun to drive, chick magnet", never asked about it, "what could be wrong , not the WAY it LOOKS", just buys it only to find out later that the motor needs work and a few other things. I believe more then one of us have done this and have had BUYERS REMORSE.
DONOT ask me about the old MGTD that I had to have once upond-a- time, fun car, expensive to maintain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.