• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick and Easy Winch Mount

SmokeyDod

I only can put it on both front & rear on the pickups and on the front only on the M1009. This is due to C-C of tubng coming off the vehicles. The trucks front is abt 30-1/4" c-c & rear is about 30-3/4" c-c with tubing I used being slightly larger than what is on trucks and with making mounting holes little bigger than bolts I used, I can put it on frt & rear.

Since the front of the M1009 is almost identical c-c of the trucks front you can use it on it also without changing anything. HOWEVER , the rear tubing on the blazer is abt 36" c-c so you have a problem. The plate from Har Frt is 36" oal thus without some modiying you have a problem.

As to the rear pintle on my truck, I cut my tubing about 11" long so when mounting it, the pintle does not come into play. I can take some pictures but maybe with my wife's help I can figure out how to post them on here. I noted that some were concerned with angle etc. but when you hook it up and start winching it straightens right out. No problems

jrou111

When you're posting just hit the "manage attachments" button and you can add the files to upload them from your computer. You can attach up to 10 pics per post.

gaunt1969

My mount was a little different it wasnt too quick or easy but gives better clearance.
I still have to take all of it off and finish some welding and add a few pieces to reinforce some locations and add some paint. I think Ill use green:-D

Attachments

kenny

Nice Job on both winch mounts. Here is how I did mine and I made a snatch block just in case I realy got stuck and needed the 24,000 pounds pull.
And I have been so stuck in the past before I got a winch that 2 trucks could not pull me out.

Attachments

K9Vic

My mount was already on the truck when I bought it from the auction, it was used as a SWAT van by a local city. It was removed and I am sure it was a real nice Warn winch, so would have been cool if it was still there. So I install the 8000lb Chicago winch last night and a few hours later these are the results. Had to modify the base on the winch slightly to fit do to the difference in the original, but worked out well. Since my truck is already 12v converted, electric was simple.

Attachments

Stihl029

So I had some time this last weekend and here is about where I am at with one of these. This is for a 12000lb 24v that will be inteneded for straight pulls only. This is not intended for offroad use nor will it stay on while driving. All plating that was used was 1/4" or 1/4" walled. A friend had the c channel and I went and bought the 2.5" square stock from a local metal supplier. there will be more pics to follow. I will post a final version as well. This is going to require two persons to move, however I will be running synthetic line to cut wieght.
CUCV portable mount pictures by Stihl029 - Photobucket
:driver:

K9Vic

Well I cloned the fine work and idea from jrou111 on my M1009 today and can say that this is a great way to install a winch. I had this this already from my past 03 Dodge RAM, but was setup on the receiver hitch mount plate. So I bought the two receiver tubes from Harbor and had all the other parts as the Chicago winch comes with the base plate. So about 3 hours of work including welding the plate to the tubes and I was done. I still have to repaint the base, not sure if I want to go green of black, but I am thinking green.

Attachments

dstang97

looks good. I would cut the receiver at a 45* then box it for a cleaner look.

I did a front hitch so I can do the same plus run other stuff in it.

2deuce

One thing to remember with your snatch block is it will need to take the full load of whatever you are pulling. If you need the 24k by doubling your 12k winch your snatch block will have 12 tons on it. If it won't hold it it becomes a deadly missile. That is a small snatch block to be rated that high.2cents

Stihl029

I think he only has a 8K there. A freind and I fabed my mount for a 12k and it takes two ppl to pick the whole thing up. Plus I only want to pull head on so if I were to get a block it would only be to get someone around an obsticle that I could not or did not want to make my self go through.

K9Vic

Well I cloned the fine work and idea from jrou111 on my M1009 today and can say that this is a great way to install a winch. I had this this already from my past 03 Dodge RAM, but was setup on the receiver hitch mount plate. So I bought the two receiver tubes from Harbor and had all the other parts as the Chicago winch comes with the base plate. So about 3 hours of work including welding the plate to the tubes and I was done. I still have to repaint the base, not sure if I want to go green of black, but I am thinking green.
Wanted to post pictures of my winch painted and the added bar in the front. A friend gave me a bull bar from a Dodge P/U he had and I modified it to fit on the front of my winch setup. This gives it somewhat of a bumper and also adds a more aggressive look in my opinion. It was welded to the rest of the winch frame and the whole unit is still removable. I even had a local guy that saw my winch system and wanted me to make some for his CUCV trucks, but with out the bull bar in front.

Attachments

dragonman

My mount was already on the truck when I bought it from the auction, it was used as a SWAT van by a local city. It was removed and I am sure it was a real nice Warn winch, so would have been cool if it was still there. So I install the 8000lb Chicago winch last night and a few hours later these are the results. Had to modify the base on the winch slightly to fit do to the difference in the original, but worked out well. Since my truck is already 12v converted, electric was simple.
What are the two unites mounted on top of the winch?

grayw0lf

Thats kinda similar to how I made my custom bumper for my winch. I started with welding a large plate for the winch to bolt to on top of the shackle mounts.

Put about a 3/8" spacer on top of the shackle mount & you can put your stock shackles back on & they'll swing around like they should.

50shooter

Some very nice setups guys. I see several references to running the 12V winches off of the front battery only. Other posts say the life of the winch is suspect running a 12V off of the 24V system. I'm electrical challenged so please forgive me but does running off the front battery only make it 12V? You guys running the 12V winches, are the relays and everything else holding up well on the 24v systems.

The double tube mount looks like a very sturdy setup.

Thanks
Jason

K9Vic

Some very nice setups guys. I see several references to running the 12V winches off of the front battery only. Other posts say the life of the winch is suspect running a 12V off of the 24V system. I'm electrical challenged so please forgive me but does running off the front battery only make it 12V? You guys running the 12V winches, are the relays and everything else holding up well on the 24v systems.

The double tube mount looks like a very sturdy setup.

Thanks
Jason

These trucks are nativity 12volts and only utilize 24volts for the starting system, everything else is 12v. So all the trucks electronics are 12v and any accessories you ad like a car stereo, GPS, radar detector, etc will be 12v. This as long as you use the front battery 12v post or the front post (negative post) of the rear battery that is also 12v. Never use the power block on the firewall or the very rear post (posative) of the rear battery, that is 24v and would be very bad.

As for the winch being 12v, nothing different that any civilian truck using a 12v winch. There are no relays as described above hooking to the 12v side of the battery. Like the starter a 24v winch's electrical motor would last longer as there is less stress on it due to the higher voltage. It would also perform better as the 24v starter starts these trucks much quicker. I can say that my 12v converted M1010 with 12v starts hangs allot more when turning it over compared to my other 24v CUCV trucks. For life span on these 12v winches, it does not have anything to do with the 24v system, unless there is a major catastrophe it will never see 24v. If that happened, then the other original 12v systems would also likely be damaged.

Hope this helps, you will be fine running a 12v winch, some only use the 24v as it performs better under a load. I have heard from some that the Harbor Freight winches pull really well, this is what I have in mine. Just keep the winch covered with good winch cover if you live were it snows. That moisture is not good for them and I have seen some good high priced winches damaged only due to water damage.

91W350

We rolled a plate and hung the winch upside down. I had to do a little bumper trimming and mounted it in some original holes. It worked slick, I did not really care for the fair lead, if I had it to do over again, I would have invested in that non metallic cable and used a standard fair lead. I mounted the solenoid box on the inner fender with the batteries. The truck got totalled and I sold the winches with the wreck, regretted it ever since. Glen

Attachments

Milkman357

Winch plate manufacturer

I'm looking for a 1/4" thick universal mounting plate like you guys are running..

Where do I get one wide enough?

I am not against building my own... I like the extra lights mounted on the Winch assembly... You can never have too many lights!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks