• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quick and Easy Winch Mount

jdeoliveira74

I just got a winch myself and went the hidden route. On the 1009 there aren't really any good holes to attach to so my is bracketry is rather complex. That looks so much easier but I have a problem with approach angle already.

Maybe making some handles to carry it would be nice cause that's going to be a little heavy to just throw in the back. Then you put some studs up through the floor in the back and be able to secure it with wing nuts so it doesn't bounce around. If it was me I'd also put some tow hooks where those bolts are so you could use a snatch block back to yourself to double the pull.

The plates were engineered for that size winch so it should be perfectly fine as long as its used as a winch and not for hooking a strap to and trying to yank something out. It will deflect a little but everything defects under a load its just how much and whether it springs back. The half in bolts are fine for that, they use 3/8 to hold the winch to the plate.
got pics??nopics

wkbrdngsnw

Its bolted to a plate that is flipped upside down and placed in the low section of frame there. The brackets are an "L" shape and bolt to the winch plate with 4x .5" bolts. The other half of the "L" bolts to the steering brace holes , some similar ones on the other side and two hole in the front of the frame. Aside form the shear of the bolts, it also clamps that section of frame. I only used 4 bolts since its a 8000 lb winch. If it was something like a 12,000lb at least 6 would be necessary and some more attaching it to the frame.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vinny,

Here is what I did to secure a Reese hitch on the front and rear to accept an electric winch. I had to die cut the front bumper to slide the Reese through, the hitch it's self is mounted on a 4"x4"x3/8" tube, cross mounted bolted and welded from both frame sides. The rear was a simple job. I only posted this in case you might get an idea to help out with your project

Attachments

jdeoliveira74

Vinny,

Here is what I did to secure a Reese hitch on the front and rear to accept an electric winch. I had to die cut the front bumper to slide the Reese through, the hitch it's self is mounted on a 4"x4"x3/8" tube, cross mounted bolted and welded from both frame sides. The rear was a simple job. I only posted this in case you might get an idea to help out with your project
This is what i was thinking! nice install did you just cut a square in the bumper for the receiver hitch?
Jon

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JON-

YES, The rest was easy to cut, bolt and weld in place. This is what I had in mind. I ran the 4" thick tube from frame side to frame side with 1/4" flat plate brackets pre drilled for bolt holes. I wanted the frame to stay square even if I hit something. I also attached the end to the cross member. I think I did a little over kill but I would rather have more than less.

I ran the 12vdc welding wire to the front and rear. I used the standard DC Anderson connection for the hook up. So you can unhook the front and move to the rear if you need it there to pull. I like it and I have some pictures somewhere I will post of the winch pulling the truck up the oak tree front side up. I think I smoked one that day and thought it was cool.

Don

K9Vic

I made a second winch mount like the first one I made going with jrou111 idea with Harbor Freight parts. I bough a 12K Bandlands winch from Harbor Fright almost 2 months ago to replace the 10K. The old 10K will be installed on my other M1009 I am restoring to help up the value on it. This time I drilled 1-1/8 holes in the receiver adapters so I can use the original pins. I got the first one perfect, but the second one I was off in my drilling, so I had to slight oblong the inside hole. Not a big deal, it is still very solid and much better then using the smaller pins for the receiver.

This is a really nice winch, have read some good reviews about them and it looks allot like a Smitty Built winch. Probably from the same manufacture over there in China. This one just does not have the wireless remote option.

The 24v lights are not hooked up yet, but they do look good on there I think.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric winch CUCV and Deuce

I was going through my hard drive deleting some chit and thought I would post these great ideas for the electric winch. Be it a CUCV or a Deuce its a good reference point.

Oh hey, who are these two scoundrals...?

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey thats Stonepicker and Recovery4x4. Fuel Stop in Georgia. Phil sure likes his trailer, It was just in my driveway.lol

dirtstandifer

i taxed jrou111 idea and it work great. however i did spend all day drilling 1" holes through 1/4 steel tubes so that i could use the original shackle pins. but it beats cutting my truck up. cheap winch but the price was right. i don't do too much winching. i just wanted it so i don't have to drag a deer up a hillside this season. but if i need to winch out the mount will not fail. thanks again jrou111. the pics are upside down...sorry....deal with it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks