• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Real Hot-Rod Deuce!

jesusgatos

I can see it. A BIG nasty ratfink-style hotrod. It's already kind of cartoonish. I'd be maintaining 6WD, but using some HD civilian axles in conjunction with the sprag T-case. And for wheels/tire, OTR highway tires on ALCOA's would scale just about right (skip the whitewalls though...). You could run singles on the rear with those big fat tires like they put on gravel trucks. Ditch the toolbox/battery box/running boards and mount-up a couple of those big cylindrical aluminum fuel tanks.

There are a lot of places on these vehicles where someone could spend a lot of time re-making things that would look similar to the stock parts, but with a lot more attention to detail. Not just goofy cosmetic stuff, but thoughtful details. I think that kind of stuff is cool on any vehicle, but that's what always separates the nicest hot rods from the cookie-cutters (at least in my eyes).

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is video on youtube of a school bus popping a wheelie down the 1/4 mile. I think it had some kind of 2400HP piston type aircraft engine.

A good start is to call Turner surplus and see if he still has the Duster engine.
Untitled Normal Page

surewriting

@ mwalker: Yes! thats what im talking about- i like to look of the red and white one, but i want 6-wheel drive still lol, and a chopped up bed to haul parts and doohickeys (think hot rod shop truck). i think theres a lot of potential for the deuce, and not in the deuce-on-blazer axles kind of way, but as a one-off HUGE rat-rod hot rod that steals the show and still can lay down a whupping on the street (at least until about 60 mph :-D). this is clearly the product of reading too many off roading mags and hot rod mags, but i think it could happen eventually in real life, but like jesusgatos said, it would done right, not just slapped together over a couple of weekends to make it a 'hot rod', so dont expect a build thread until far, far into the future (i mean, i havent even gotten my first duece yet:roll:)

surewriting

no, im not exactly sure what their purpose is in that video, other than to annoy anyone who sees it. and im not sure what youre trying to say :lost:

surewriting

would maybe one of the rear axle leaf-pack work up front for a single mono leaf running across the width of the axle? how much weight is there to support? thinking if the front axle was pushed out front another couple of feet (driveshaft issues would probably begin to develop), and supported with a rear leaf to a specially made mounting plate on a new crossmember.

any thoughts on that?

EDIT: this was sort of my inspiration for this: http://image.jpmagazine.com/f/edito...light/26191393+cr1+re0+ar1/sloppy-seconds.jpg

m.walker

Alot of thought would have to go into lowering it and keeping the 6X6 . It would be cheaper and easier to use the body off a parts truck and civilian big truck parts for the rest . Do the front like the red and white one with the rear like the blue one . A diesel school bus would be a cheap place for a frame ( as long as you want ) axles and engine . They can be had fairly cheap because not much of a market for used ones . I'm kind of partial to the silver one ( last pic ).

Last edited:

slamuraivt

Any chance you could do spring under axle setup to lower the truck down some? Then drop the body mounts to get the cab lower. Super singles the wide over the road ones, dual stacks, chopped top, sounds awesome. Dont let people discourage you from making something that could be cooler than theirs. Rock it man and post pics when it happens!!

Coal Cracker

well, i sketched a stock deuce, and went from there. its not looking quite like what i mean (meaning it looks amazingly goofy lol), but ill keep sketching till i get it right

Even though I'm a purist to an extent, I say build it I'd love to see the wicked carc camo job, with some big meats on the back, wonder how it would look with a chopped cab? dual stacks with some coal rollin out, allthough the multifuel would have to go. Good luck

greenery

theres a reason there arent any actual hot rod deuces, because they are military vehicles and hardcore work trucks, not for racing or shows, hlt rodding is a whole nother bird when mvs are involved, basically mods and upgrades to make them more applicable to everyday use on the street and on the trails, i may be young, but even i kno that u dont play with a deuce like that

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks