• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding MY m101a2 BY harleyhouse

hwcurtice

I removed the tongue V mount to weld on the adjustible channel.

I decided to remove the tub from the frame to get them ready to paint.
I must say the Military used thier heads designing this trailer. There are about 20 bolts to remove to seperate the tub from the frame.

I thought it would be a bear to remove the bolts from 1990 but this girl must have been down south or inside most of her life. My Jegs 1/2" cordless impact gun did not sweat removing the bolts.

I lifted the tub from the frame and placed it in the yard on four saw horses.
That tub is heavy when you are lifting it by your self. My 10 year old daughter helped place the horses while I lifted and snaked the frame out from under it.

The frame will get sprayed gloss black and the tub Hot Rod Red color plus clear.
I sold the original tires and rims, pintle assembly, and brake system The buyer picked them up today.
In picture 4 here, what/why did you do what you're showing?

harleyhouse

This is the tongue V that I cut off the landing leg.
I used a crank up jack that mounted on the side rail of the tongue.
It just shows that I ground the pivot off flat.

I removed everything that was not needed to save weight.

Attachments

harleyhouse

Poor Mans roof top tent

Poor mans roof top tent.

I have always wanted a RTT but my financial advisor says it is low on the list.
and I don't use credit " Dave Ramsey " so I have to save to purchase one.
So as I wait I decided to build a 7' by 7' expanded steel deck to mount on the rack on my 101A2.

1 1/2" angle iron with mitre cut corners and two sheets of expanded flat metal and I am off to a good start.
I ordered he steel from work and got it last week $120.00 for it all. I had one of our welders zip it together after everything was cut to size.

I still have end braces and corner supports to make but I stood on it and it is solid.
Once everything is welded to the Tee frames it will strengthen it more.

Gloss black paint and several loops to tie my 7 x 7 dome tent down and I will be set!​

Attachments

harleyhouse

When complete It will have a cut off aluminum ladder that is clipped to the top rail to get in and out of the tent.
I need to add a few braces and weld everything together, then a coat of high gloss black paint to finish it off.

656owner

harleyhouse,

I must say, I've seen your avatar and wondered about it...

thanks for the detailed description and pictures

I'm one of those who doesn't think it's a good idea to modify military vehicles, mainly because they only made so many of them and each one of them that is 'modified' means there is one less for the next generation to see...

HAVING SAID THAT, I love your detail, how you think things out and then carry them out. I also am a 'scrounger' and it really appeals to that side of me on how you approached the whole project with cost being the main factor, as it is for so many of us

I also appreciate the fact that not only did you take time in the approach and how you carried it out, you also documented WHAT you did with pictures

that's huge

so, while I don't necessarily agree with WHAT you did, you won me over with HOW you did it

and your attention to detail is superb

thank you
Wallew basicly said everything I was thinking. I couldn't really tell what you done til I finally read your post. Nice job on the trailer.

harleyhouse

Thank You for the kind words.
The trailer is has been a great project for me and my family.
Camping Hauling Parades and just getting out or the house and using it has been fun.

harleyhouse

I welded the corner guards and tie downs to the deck painted it and mounted it to the cross bars.
I was going to weld the deck to the rack but I bolted it instead with carriage bolts and large wing nuts
" Black plastic mower handle knobs " They work well and I can remove the deck with two people easily.

I was not sure I would like the tent deck on the trailer after I welded it up.
But now that it is painted glass black it looks better and I can remove it when I like.

Attachments

themelon

That really is looking great. I may go a similar direction for a RTT above the stock ribs and cover on my M101A2. Bolt on is definatly the way to go though. As soon as I welded something like that on I would fine 14 reasons I should have bolted.

The corner guards are a great idea and I am sure would save, or at least make them not as bad, scars on my forehead. I really like to find sharp corners to run into.

harleyhouse

The corner guards were something I drew up and sent to the steel laser operator at the sign company I work at.
He asked What do you need the Pac Man cut outs for? I explained my project to him and he said OK!
It was not until I showed him the finished picture that he got why I needed them.

The triangle gussets I bought on ebay 10 for $20.00 free shipping.
I had the press operator bend them to a 90 degree and I welded them in the corners for the fiberglass
tent rods to sit against. I had two left and welded them to the center front and back of deck.

I can haul 4 kayaks on it now and have tiedowns to use.

Last edited:

harleyhouse

No, The deck is set at 30" off the tub floor. I can get items in and out somewhat easy.
It has been a progression build. The rack for kayaks and a future RTT and now the deck.
Being steel the deck is a little heavy. I can slide it off myself but with two it is a lift and go.

I am going to test everything soon and see if the deck is what I want.
Expanded metal can be sold on Craigslist if I pass on the deck. I have $150.00 in material and paint so far.

harleyhouse

Sleeping with the birds.

I test fit the 7 x 7 coleman tent today. It fits well and the fiberglass poles center in the corners and the rain fly hooks
keep the tent from soaring away without the weight of sleeping bags and people to hold it to the deck.

The tent is a Coleman Marlboro promotional item "Marlboro miles" that I bought from ebay.
It was the only 7 x 7 tent in RED I could find I bought two from the seller and combined they were
around $60.00 shipped. One as a back up or I can use one on the ground as a dressing area.

Attachments

harleyhouse

I had a Blitz 2.5 gallon Jerry can and an old holder that I sand blasted and primed but never used. So on the way home from work I bought a can of black and red paint to cover them. Black holder and Banner red for the can. Several coats of paint on each, new hardware and they were ready to mount on the 101A2. I moved the first aid box to above the tongue box and mounted the Jerry can on the drivers side low on the tub. I needed a strap to hold it down so I took a black web strap to the local alterations shop and had her shorten it and reinforce the buckle mount. Looks good and I now have a place for fuel for my two cycle generator.

Attachments

harleyhouse

Pa, has many state parks and camp grounds close by. We have don several weekends away and use them as shake down runs to determine what we need and what can stay home. The next project is the hot water shower system. I have a poly tank, pump, hot water heater, and the shower system. Just need to finalize the gas line connection. The heater hangs on the rear upright and one everything is hooked up It will be easier to camp with the girls.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks