• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding MY m101a2 BY harleyhouse

harleyhouse

I went with a Camp Chief Triton L5 I will report how it works when I get the LP gas hooked up. It came with a metallic silver body and looks well with the trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that is awesome! You are making me want to start another project.
I was a little worried a few posts ago when you first added the expanded metal. I envisioned several hundred pounds of charcol and a bunch of chicken halves... LOL

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the removable platform idea. You could set it up on the ground at the camp as a tent platform that keeps the tent off the ground but low enough you don't need a boarding ladder. It would also keep the tent away from the cooking and shower areas, and give easier access to the trailer bed.

harleyhouse

No chicken except on the coleman grill or better yet an open fire. The tent entrance will be on the left side with access ladder and the cooking area, hot water heater camp kitchen and folding table will be on the right. I am working on a 8 x 8 easy up shelter but red or black to keep my color theme.

harleyhouse

Took the trailer to Erie last weekend and did some camping with it.
Sleeping in the tent was no worse than when on the ground and with the added height it was a little breezier.
I do need to get some sort of matress or interlocking mat for better comfort.

Took the family to Budny beach #10 and set everything up for the day.
Got alot of looks and positive comments too. " I may have gotten several people to check out Steel Soldiers"
The boarding ladder is an aluminum extention ladder cut off with a piece of diamond plate as a topper.
It is light and worked well.

Grilling is nice with the diamond plate table set up or used on the tailgate.
I plan on changing out the offset umbrella for a 7 x 10 rain fly. " the umbrella is too bulky in the trailer.

This red trailer has logged several thousand miles behind us going camping and hauling household gear and yard supplies.
I may trade up to a 1102 soon "many are getting great deals" But until then this little trailer will keep the Harley family happy.

Attachments

harleyhouse

I did have a couple issues with things on the trailer. 1. The Igloo water jug needed a spot out of the way. 2. The paper towel roll kept getting blown away. When I got home I solved those problems with a ring that holds the water jug and slides into the side 1 1/4" receiver and a bent piece of 5/16" steel rod welded to the upright above the grill. Both painted black and work well.

Attachments

hwcurtice

I removed the tongue V mount to weld on the adjustible channel.

I decided to remove the tub from the frame to get them ready to paint.
I must say the Military used thier heads designing this trailer. There are about 20 bolts to remove to seperate the tub from the frame.

I thought it would be a bear to remove the bolts from 1990 but this girl must have been down south or inside most of her life. My Jegs 1/2" cordless impact gun did not sweat removing the bolts.

I lifted the tub from the frame and placed it in the yard on four saw horses.
That tub is heavy when you are lifting it by your self. My 10 year old daughter helped place the horses while I lifted and snaked the frame out from under it.

The frame will get sprayed gloss black and the tub Hot Rod Red color plus clear.
I sold the original tires and rims, pintle assembly, and brake system The buyer picked them up today.
HH,

After taking the surge system off, did you notice any issues with balance when towing? Does the system, where the lunette is, add/takeaway that much weight to make a difference? Or is a length issue for the balance?

I don't plan on taking the brakes off mine. Being able to set the parking brake is handy, but the surge part has to go. It's just too high and not adjustable for my current rig. I sure would like to get more pictures of how you made the a-frame part for my welder.

harleyhouse

After taking the surge lunette off there was no ill effect except a lighter tongue about 50 pounds less
My brakes did not work. I should have kept the hand brakes they would have been handy. but I wanted to lose the weight.
The drums are very heavy too. I tow with my 2002GMC 2500HD crew can and have not had any problems slowing the trailer down.

The adjustable channel makes the trailer very useful. I can switch between a 2" coupler or lunette ring by pulling out two pins.
If I want to make it theft proof when parked I pull the pins and remove the coupler.

R&P trailers on Ebay was the seller I bought the channel from I also bought many other trailer items from them.

This is my blog on Expo. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler

Attachments

hwcurtice

After taking the surge lunette off there was no ill effect except a lighter tongue about 50 pounds less
My brakes did not work. I should have kept the hand brakes they would have been handy. but I wanted to lose the weight.
The drums are very heavy too. I tow with my 2002GMC 2500HD crew can and have not had any problems slowing the trailer down.

The adjustable channel makes the trailer very useful. I can switch between a 2" coupler or lunette ring by pulling out two pins.
If I want to make it theft proof when parked I pull the pins and remove the coupler.

R&P trailers on Ebay was the seller I bought the channel from I also bought many other trailer items from them.

This is my blog on Expo. http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-a-Military-trailer-to-build-a-family-hauler
The a-frame that you made, some is from the original trailer, right? What else did you do to it, besides add the channel? Is the surge system mounted to the top that you reused?

656owner

hwcurtice,
If the trailer is too high and not adjustable. Why can you not use an adjustable pintle? Instead of altering the trailer if its not necessary. I use an adjustable pintle for my 2003 Silverado 2500HD.

Tony

Attachments

hwcurtice

I do use one. It's about 12" tall. And the pintle is at the very top, in order to level it out. I really need it lower. Ditching the surge system, and putting the channel system on it will do that. I plan on smaller tires also. I really want this hitch to be level with the receiver, at least. Right now, if I'm towing, I can't lower my tailgate.

harleyhouse

Unbolt the surge lunette assembly. 4 bolts from the top
Then grind the nose of the V flat and weld on the adjustable channel.

remove the 4 rear small bolts and the long nose bolt.
If you use the original safety chains they need to be spaced out to clear the adjustable channel.

Sell the surge lunette system The channel and coupler are around $60.00

Attachments

Cook4794

Great Blog. hopefully soon i'll be able to start my own!

I imagine its possible to remove the surge, fluid lines, without remove the hand brakes?

I haven't opened up my hubs yet to see exactly how everything works.

Last edited:

Cook4794

I'll have to register on that site and keep up to date.

Currently I've owned my 101a3 for a year or so now. I did purchase a FLAWLESS m1101, but decided it wasn't for me. To big for my truck and I didn't like the massive inner fenders from the tires being tucked. I ended up selling that to a local farmer that was tickled to own it.

I'm probably going to follow your design on the lunette loop. I've already rewired it for 12V which was fun, almost all my wires had rubbed off the stripes to decipher what they were. I'm really wanting to go a Bed Liner route for my m116 chassis. Looking at my chassis it appears that its a hybrid style trailer. Every A3 I've seen is a 3/4 ton trailer. This chassis had a data plate that says 1.5 Ton axle. It should be interesting. I've had a few years building cars/trucks. In my older years, having to give it up for buying a house, having a few kids. This trailer will be simple and fun project!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Looking at my chassis it appears that its a hybrid style trailer. Every A3 I've seen is a 3/4 ton trailer. This chassis had a data plate that says 1.5 Ton axle....
The 3/4 ton rating is based on off-road use. Highway rating should be 1.5 ton if the tires are rated for it.

AnthonyVargas

Do you have any type of braking system after removing the surge brakes? If not, how does it tow with no brakes? I am thinking of removing the surge system to save weight as well. And would it be possible to keep the hand brakes while removing the brake drums? Or would the drums need to stay if I want to keep the hand brakes.
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks