• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

red

Some progress over the last 2 days. Fuel lines to and from the injection pump are complete, feed line to the intake heater is plugged, final filter is filled with regular diesel to make the test start tomorrow easier.

Also my last day at work is next Wednesday, April 1st. Will take a week or two with finishing packing and making final preparations to the truck/camper/trailer.

Another Ahab

Also my last day at work is next Wednesday, April 1st. Will take a week or two with finishing packing and making final preparations to the truck/camper/trailer.
Can't remember now if you mentioned this already:

- But are you lucky enough to be retiring?

red

Haha no, quite awhile till then, I'm 27. I'll be getting disability from the VA (multiple TBI's, right knee, hearing loss....) But I'm still in the work force.

red

Well, its being stubborn to start. Getting fuel to the injection pump (open the return line and its flowing), just not flowing to the injectors it seems.

uploadfromtaptalk1427321617810.jpg

red

Well tried pull starting repeatedly, injector lines are still dry.

When I bypassed the FDC I installed plugs rather than looping the lines back to the FDC. Potential problem there?

If not that, then I'm leaning towards the hydraulic head.

I've always had to crank for an extended period for the first start.

welldigger

Pull your hh. Sounds like the button fell off.

Also try cranking it over with your foot to the floor on the accelerator. I have to give mine a little throttle to get it to start.

red

Tried the pedal (always had to) with no effect.

Who sells the seals for the HH? I'll pull the fuel rod cover off tomorrow, test, then HH.

Doesn't look like its going to the Texas rally if its the HH, shipping.

welldigger

I'm the one who sells the seals. Gimpy had the clips that hold the button on the hh. Don't know if he has any left. If not you can get them directly from ambac.

red

uploadfromtaptalk1427407719015.jpg

Well the fuel rod seems to be moving just fine. Cleaned it up and it moves without resistance/snaps forward.

Pull the bolt to access the plunger in the hydraulic head. Placed a punch in there and slapped it with my hand, marked it, and turned the engine over. Fuel seems to be flowing well through there. Couple squirts at first (electric on, not cranking), followed by a steady flow.

Cranked with no change.

Pulled an injector line off of the HH, cranked the engine over. Fuel will barely squirt out where in injector line connects.

welldigger

Either put a socket on the harmonic balancer or put the t case in neutral and wedge a pry bar into the u joint on the prop shaft. Put the transmission into 4th gear.

red

How the **** are you getting access to the harmonic balancer? I'm a skinny guy and can't get to it haha.

Complete brain fart on the driveshaft, thanks

Jeepsinker

Loosen all your injectors and pop them loose from their bore, do not remove them. Then you can turn it over by the fan with your hands. You may have to tighten your fan belt some.
Ive done it this way twice in the past few weeks. Much easier than using the driveshaft or balancer method, specially if you are by yourself.

Jeepsinker

The only mark you need to worry about is the one under the shutoff cover that you can see after you remove the shutoff rod and lever. You do NOT line it up perfectly with the the pointer, it should be just a hair in front of or behind the pointer. I've found most often that it needs to be just a hair towards the firewall off of the pointer.