• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Brake Fluid Reservoir

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've installed several of these kits and have retained the splash plates. It will take some time for the remote resevoir to bleed down to seek the proper level.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
remote brake fluid reservoir

I would be great full if you Karl Kostman from post # 64 could send me some pictures of your heater installation, as I will need to install one soon. I like how you did it to keep the engine compartment clear of such a large and bulky item.thank you I await for your reply. PS I did not want to derail this brake reservoir subject.

Last edited:

tobyS

Your just like me ! When any shop I worked at would through stuff away I would go and scrounge through it . I would really score big at the metal fabricator shop I worked at for 8 years. The boss would get a "cleaning bug" up his butt and have the entire crew stop working and have them just throw everything away that was on the floors. They would get the big swipe brooms out and clean everything. Later I would go back at lunch time and go through all the garbage and pick out the stainless steel bolts that where tossed out. One time I got two five gallon buckets of bolts ! One year he went through the metal storage racks and threw out "tons" of steel angle iron, flat bar and plate. I asked If I could just load this up myself and he said "as long as it was gone by the end of the day " he didn't care. So I called up my dad and said bring the truck down and we loaded up 2 tons of metal. I still have some pieces left in my storage container to this day. Mostly pieces that are just to big to really use like 1/2" thick 4" angle iron. The rest got used for projects over the years.
Rusty, I just had to comment. I've been a dumpster diver for materials for a very long time. Then I graduated to a couple of scrap yards that I became friends of the owners. I would salvage electrical, motor starters and controls, even fittings (electric hydraulic and air). It's amazing what people throw away ( I especially salvage Allen Bradley). They got sold to Omni and those sources are gone now.

As far as metal...I bought a bridge a few years back (90 tons) and have made many parts from the various shapes. When you mentioned the 1/2" x 4" it caught my eye. I have some angle that is 3/4" in 4x6 that I have made brackets and parts from for sawmills. I'm still using the 14" I beams I got. It helps to have some acres to spread out the boneyard. Now I'm wanting a rough terrain forklift....always something.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone installed a remote brake reservoir on an Air Force Deuce with duel circuit brakes? I did on mine and the master cylinder leaks where the top is connected to the body. This master cylinder is made in two parts, not like the trucks that have a one circuit brake master that is one piece.

rustystud

Has anyone installed a remote brake reservoir on an Air Force Deuce with duel circuit brakes? I did on mine and the master cylinder leaks where the top is connected to the body. This master cylinder is made in two parts, not like the trucks that have a one circuit brake master that is one piece.
You need to use the "plate" that has two threaded holes for the reservoirs. It is used instead of the plastic housing. The standard "plastic" housing will not work.

Here's a picture of mine.

1245.jpg

Last edited:

sgms18

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you disconnect the vent that is part of the fording system & mount the new reservoir say on the firewall just above the fender wouldn't water get in your brake fluid if things got deep?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you disconnect the vent that is part of the fording system & mount the new reservoir say on the firewall just above the fender wouldn't water get in your brake fluid if things got deep?
The reservoir cap is vented, so, yes, it is not designed to be submerged.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If things got that deep.... you better had a well functioning deep water fording kit. And in that case it would be easy to also pressurize the reservoir.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course the cap would have to be fitted with a small ferrule for say a 1/8"hose, but otherwise no big deal.

For depths up to 7 feet or so it only takes 1-2 psi to keep water out of the whole system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks