• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removed

Another Ahab

Yea, they go great in the snow, but even tanks slide on ice, I was at full speed in 1st gear and still going backwards! lol had to zig zag to get up the driveway! But its a beautiful thing to press a few switches and she comes right to life! She definately liked the warmer weather today! I got banned from driving it in the yard, and I will wait for a warm summer day to try to see how well she swims!
View attachment 482532
Swims, too? That is sweet. Is there a screw, or is it propulsion by the tracks?

MadCat2

Oh yes, all Russian APC's to include the BMP/OT-90 are designed to be able to cross streams and rivers. Thats of course the idea, we shall see! they do have several sump pumps in the floors that pump out any leaks, mine do engage- so Im hopefull! Track propulsion in water, so slow but no other additional modification needed. I have a shallow pond on my property that were going to test it on and we have a wrecker that we will have on stand by if needed!

Timberwolf22

That's going to be a fun weekend........ swimming with the OT-90.

So you got banned from driving across the front yard..... let me know if we need to perform lawn repairs.

Sounds like it's almost time for spring tank trails...... you used to cut trails for the Jeep's this will be less cutting and more just driving over stuff.

MadCat2

Im thinking Memorial Day or 4th of July sound like good times to try river crossings! Yea, banned from driving on the yard, I think I will take it and go get the mail if it stops raining! lol that will sufficiently scare the neighbors! and yes, an entire perimeter path needs to be cut around the whole mountain to handle the tank so we can have a real course when that gets rutted out and messy!

flippydidit

Oh yes, all Russian APC's to include the BMP/OT-90 are designed to be able to cross streams and rivers. Thats of course the idea, we shall see! they do have several sump pumps in the floors that pump out any leaks, mine do engage- so Im hopefull! Track propulsion in water, so slow but no other additional modification needed. I have a shallow pond on my property that were going to test it on and we have a wrecker that we will have on stand by if needed!
You might want to hook the OT-90 up to the wrecker cable before you swim it. Just thought I'd throw that advice your way. Some experience is best not learned the hard way. You know, like hooking up a tow cable underwater.......

Another Ahab

Im thinking Memorial Day or 4th of July sound like good times to try river crossings! Yea, banned from driving on the yard, I think I will take it and go get the mail if it stops raining! lol that will sufficiently scare the neighbors! and yes, an entire perimeter path needs to be cut around the whole mountain to handle the tank so we can have a real course when that gets rutted out and messy!
You might want to hook the OT-90 up to the wrecker cable before you swim it. Just thought I'd throw that advice your way. Some experience is best not learned the hard way. You know, like hooking up a tow cable underwater.......
Unless it's a slack water river, the cable sounds like good insurance. Crossing lakes or big ponds sure; but swimming a river with anything like a current (with only tracks for power) seems like it could get dicey real quick.

Last edited:

Timberwolf22

I'm going with the group here....... hooking up a winch cable in places that would need scuba gear is not my idea of fun. Since I am sure I will be part of the crazy swimming exercise some precautions don't sound like a bad idea.

I used to laugh at the sinking OT-90 YouTube video where the driver panics because of how low the OT-90 sits in the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEOixU_XmA

But maybe it won't be so funny.........

I used to think our AAV's sat low in the water but the BMP/OT-90 is almost completely submerged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM4H11-_8U0

Even in the AAV's we got soaked by any waves and we were higher up.... but then again the AAV was a "Ship to Shore" vehicle vs. "Designed to cross a river or stream".

Last edited:

Timberwolf22

It is definitely Chad's "toy"............ the dogs move fast but that is why I do ground guide.

He has been spending a ton of time cleaning it up inside.... been working out bugs and some initial transmission issues but she runs now.

Whats amazing is how much "bigger" everything gets with them.... the parts, the tools the garage for her.

Chad runs around the property with her.... makes getting the mail fun again.

Plan on 2015 trips off the property with her but need a trailer that Chad's M936 wrecker can tow and fits the OT-90 - over-sized load makes it a challenge.

datadawg

Bump....
I am salivating for an update! Any chance she makes it to the Rausch Creek rally this spring, it's in PA! I would do the trip there just to sit inside :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks