• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing deuce wheel, I'm at a loss

FishWagon

"Remember, it may be the 1,000,000th time you have heard the question, but it's the first time that person has asked it" - Something I always keep telling myself when people ask for help.

So yes, as in every forum, we have searches, and there are manuals, but I think it's human nature to simply as a question and get a quick response, especially when someone is in the middle of something and trying to figure something out.

All I care is that someone asked a question and wants help. I can then remind them of search button, and tell them about how it can help find answers to questions, but there no need to bite heads off....

If we kept telling people to search, search search, then a lot of forums would shut down, as no one would ever have to ask a question, as you can find what you want by using Mr Google. And we wouldn't have the joy of introducing new people for we'd intimidate them into going somewhere else...

You think this forum is bad? You should see the repeat questions over in studentpilot.com I'm a long time pilot and I can't tell you how many times I had to discuss "stalling", "lift", "center of gravity", etc, etc, etc, concepts to a student... and I'm always happy to do it...

steelandcanvas

I have been away for a month or so because of the lack of kindness and rudeness that was starting to take over this site. I guess nothing has changed. I hate to see it from members but am really disheartened when I see it from a moderator.
I kinda figured out you gotta take him with a grain of salt. Some folks just get butt-hurt too easy, life's short, blow it off.

steelandcanvas

You think this forum is bad? You should see the repeat questions over in studentpilot.com I'm a long time pilot and I can't tell you how many times I had to discuss "stalling", "lift", "center of gravity", etc, etc, etc, concepts to a student... and I'm always happy to do it...
Concepts are one thing, and deserve discussion between people. New folks who won't spend 2 minutes downloading a TM for their vehicle irritate me. What's the largest tire I can put on my Deuce, and what's the little door on the floor of my Deuce for? Or, I just bought this Deuce from my brother-in-laws friends cousin, and I want to drive it home and I don't know squat about airbrakes, do I need a CDL? These and many others are asked over and over and over again. I read the forum for a month and studied the "climate" before I submitted my first question. Most of us are usually happy to help a new guy as long as he tries to help himself. TM's would answer 80% of newby questions. Why would anyone want to buy a vehicle and get into a new hobby without any preperation is beyond me. Heck, even asking someone where in the TM a particular task is, will get me looking to help that person out. At least he wants to try and use the TM and learn.

SFGABN@5th

There are books that will cover every question that man has about the world. But as for me ask the question I like to keep up on my conversation skills. Thay tend to keep the human in humanity. So Remeber to treat everyone like there a friend tell thay prove you wrong.

Kevin Grindrod

US Army Retired

Our freedom was paid for with the blood of hero,s

Leadership is not telling a person what there doing wrong, its never letting them quit when thay fall down. So encurge new menbers to chat . build them up share your experance dont send them away to look at the book. Get to know them build the community dont police it.

If a moderator thinks a person is not following the rules dont drag them out in front of everone send them a polite PM and help not insult them.

Thanks for listening and I hope that we all continue to make this site grow and build a strong MV community.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bite heads off....
Nobody's head was bitten off.

And for you guys that just want to cry first, and tell me how to be gentle and helpful, well I answered his question, I also posted the TM page with the information, and I emphasized the fact that he needs to use something other than a phone and get the TMs.

Yup, I'm a bad guy.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a bit more, The OP has been a member here for almost 8 months. He joined this site with the intention of buying an M35a2. 8 months, and he doesn't even have the TMs. What does this say?

As for the hard to find and many levels of TMs, there are 3 levels, and if you ask, it's easy to learn. Just a few days ago, I posted a refresher on TM usage.

Nonotagain

Nobody's head was bitten off.

And for you guys that just want to cry first, and tell me how to be gentle and helpful, well I answered his question, I also posted the TM page with the information, and I emphasized the fact that he needs to use something other than a phone and get the TMs.

Yup, I'm a bad guy.
Can't speak for the Android boys, but I can and do obtain PDF files on my iPhone. LOGSA is your friend.
Doggy, how about a sticky with just basic information, all inclusive?
I'll give it a crack over the next couple of weeks, with CDL requirements, brake types, fluids, trailer models, weights and basic specs, torque values for wheels and 24 to 12 volt bulb conversions for trailers?

steelandcanvas

With every response to my explaination there is always a new twist. Nobody is sending anybody away to look at a book. Nobody is discouraging people not to chat and interact. Nobaody is letting anyone fall down and quit. Maybe doing a little bit of research before asking a question would make some of the more commonly asked questions a little more tolerable. I certainly don't know everything, but I read threads, use the search function, and have downloaded the TM's for my equipment. When you own a piece of equipment, at least read the freakin' operator's manual for it. Nobody wants to take the human element out of this forum, but how about a little effort? Is that really too much to ask? 'Nuff said.

steelandcanvas

Ok WOW I feel like an idiot.... Thanks guys, its AMA ing what happens when u spin the right way!!!
As a young Private in my first duty station motorpool, I was jumping on the end of the lug wrench trying to get the left front wheel off my Deuce, when the Motor Sargeant come over and whispered in my ear: if you turn the wrench the other way, it will come off a whole lot easier. You and quite a few others have made this error.

Last edited:

Prankster

Every state has its own set of laws. In Oklahoma anything over 5-ton requires a CDL. However in New York, any air brakes requires a CDL. Just one more thing,.. The Law Follows the License. Plate, not your driver's License. However with a CDL you can drive anything.

I just bought this Deuce from my brother-in-laws friends cousin, and I want to drive it home and I don't know squat about airbrakes, do I need a CDL?

Tlauden

Ok, I didn't relize this thread would get this kind of attention...

Just to get it out there. I have no hard feelings towards what anyone said anywhere in this thread. Yes, I shoulda checked the TM's but at the time couldn't. I DO read the TM's looking for info though, I was taking the wheel of to service the brakes and look at the wheel cylinder. The printed pages from the TM's regarding the hub removal was right beside me the whole time. At no poin in time did I think I needed to read them on how to remove the wheel. But now I know for next time.

So once again no hard feelings, thanks to everyone who helped, I liked the stories on how I'm not the only one who ever tried to do this :) haha

If I can say this though, and it's not directed towards anyone, but as as a whole. Why do we need to argue so much?? I come here almost everyday looking forward to seeing what someone did to there MV or to enjoy reading a recovery post, etc etc. Point is, this is a great site with TONS of wisdom within the members here, let's try to keep it enjoyable

Ok, rant over... I'm sorry to have started this
:beer:
Tyler

KsM715

Every state has its own set of laws. In Oklahoma anything over 5-ton requires a CDL. However in New York, any air brakes requires a CDL. Just one more thing,.. The Law Follows the License. Plate, not your driver's License. However with a CDL you can drive anything.

I just bought this Deuce from my brother-in-laws friends cousin, and I want to drive it home and I don't know squat about airbrakes, do I need a CDL?

Can you drive a motorcyle with just a CDL? Are you sure about the CDL part in Oklahoma? I know some guys that have driven privately owned, not for hire, 5tons on just a standard DL.

Tlauden, Glad to see you can take a little constructive criticizm with out getting all bent out of shape.

As for swapping every other lug, mean, but :twisted:

dmetalmiki

A fact though....

Notice Everytime you look through a repair manual or such..on whatever require, You find everything but the one item you need or want detail on!

Just As an ( newbe!) exercise how about the airbrake system scematic on a deuce v 5 ton...and the AIR PACK application. hmmmm... (my crew are still looking..) and while they were looking I done finished the flippin' job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks