• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing deuce wheel, I'm at a loss

SMOKEWAGON66

i dunno bout everyone here....but i served 8 yrs army active duty as a truck driver....it was my 100% of the time job...i was not a cook or a supply guy who happened to be in charge of the platoons deuce for weekly maintenance....i was a full hard chargin' dedicated truck driver. we had deuces, 5 tons, wreckers, tractor trailers, lowboys, PLS's, MHE, and HMMWVs. Ive driven just about everything in the "medium" truck range the army had. I considered myself pretty good at it and to be honest, thats helped alot on the deuce i have now. but even as much as i know, or even think i know, i still have questions about my truck, and id rather ask in here then dig through one of the 5 manuals i have for the deuce...it always seems that the table of contents is not in alphabetical order and i hate reading 5 paragraphs to answer one question about which bolt needs what torque etc. i dont get upset with newbies when they ask questions that seem stupid or repetative cuz i was a noob myself and im sure i asked some dumb stuff that had been covered as well..so now that i have completely forgot where i was going with this, ill end it...back to work for me.

....and yes i do realize some of you probably still look at me as a noob. but thats ok, i forgive you ;)

also, i always wondered how it is a thread like this, with a relatively simple problem gets 900+ veiws, and 40+ replies in less then a day, but when i asked about something that i could find nothing about it anywhere, i got 5 replies in 3 days and the thread has since faded to page 3. it seems that there is an awful lot more effort going into telling people to search for the answer and read the book, or something like that, rather then actually helping someone with a problem/question...just my opinion.

Last edited:

goldwing2000

Banned
it seems that there is an awful lot more effort going into telling people to search for the answer and read the book, or something like that, rather then actually helping someone with a problem/question...just my opinion.
Sadly... welcome to the internet. Or more specifically, internet forums. They're all the same, some worse than others. This one is actually less tolerant of BS than most but a lot of people still get their panties in a wad. I guess their mothers never told them "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

FishWagon

Sadly... welcome to the internet. Or more specifically, internet forums. They're all the same, some worse than others. This one is actually less tolerant of BS than most but a lot of people still get their panties in a wad. I guess their mothers never told them "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

A lot of that has to do with "electronic courage". Since people sit behind a monitor, many miles away from people who post, they treat people differently than if that same question was asked to the same person only this time face to face.

As for me, I just treat people the same regardless of situation. If I can help, I'll help. I really don't care if they read the manuals, search, or not. However, I will point them towards those manuals and other available tools whether on a forum, of if I'm helping them in my driveway.

Like I said before, if everyone searched on Google, they would find the info they need, and most forums would wither on the vine....it's the camaraderie, friendship and general wanting to share our hobbies that make the forums strong, NOT the information contained within....

OffRoad

We all have brain farts every now and then...

My buddy (who lived next door) and I were building my workshop over the summer a few years ago. I had been frantically trying to get building material inside the building since a big rain storm was coming....he had seen me and came down and asked "What are you doing???"

I told him "big storm coming, don't want to get the materials wet...

He started laughing his butt off.....I had been trying to get the siding inside the building...he asked if I was going to take apart the siding in the future whenever it rained out after the building was finished.....

We still laugh over that one...every rain he says "Uh Oh, better start pulling the siding off and getting it inside!!!"

So brain fart, yeah, you did. But hey, it's a good laugh as long as you didn't break anything....

Siding. That's a good laugh.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

goldwing2000

Banned
Thanks, that helps a little. Has anybody done any kind of breakdown as to what can be found where? As in "Replace wheels cylinder: TM xx-xx-xx; page x" or anything like that? Or even a guide as to what would be considered Operator level vs. unit level vs. depot level to at least narrow it down?

KsM715

Or even a guide as to what would be considered Operator level vs. unit level vs. depot level to at least narrow it down?

Thats exactly what DH posted in that reply:

To add to the above posts, the 209 or 361 numbers, the 209 manual was issued before the 361 manual. They both contain the same info, just one is a newer version than the other.

You want to find and save all of the TMs for either or both series TMs, to have a complete set for your personal use.

Remember the -10 is the basic operators manual
the -12 is the Lube order
the -20, unit level repairs
the -34, Depot level repairs(most complex)
the ones ending in P, are parts listings with exploded views of all the parts.

I save them in sets, in folders(pdf files) and view the folders with the medium size thumbnails, that way I can actually see the file as a book(like the real TM) and see what is in it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We all have brain farts every now and then...

My buddy (who lived next door) and I were building my workshop over the summer a few years ago. I had been frantically trying to get building material inside the building since a big rain storm was coming....he had seen me and came down and asked "What are you doing???"

I told him "big storm coming, don't want to get the materials wet...

He started laughing his butt off.....I had been trying to get the siding inside the building...he asked if I was going to take apart the siding in the future whenever it rained out after the building was finished.....

We still laugh over that one...every rain he says "Uh Oh, better start pulling the siding off and getting it inside!!!"

So brain fart, yeah, you did. But hey, it's a good laugh as long as you didn't break anything....
Actually, moving your siding inside wasn't a bad idea. Metal siding will discolor and rust fairly quick if it gets wet in a stack and allowed to sit for a period of time.

As for the TMs, they do a good job but I don't like them as much as other service manuals I've used. They are very good at telling you (in very basic terms) how to repair something but they don't tell you how something works or why you need to do a certain procedure. Sometimes I can figure a better way or a modification if I can figure out how something works and why it works like it does. I guess what I'm getting at is that the TMs are almost too simple.

F18hornetM

You misunderstand. I didn't mean which manuals were for which level of maintenance, I meant which jobs.
As in "Axle swap: depot level" or "Valve Adjustment: Unit level", etc.
That is what I meant when I said they were difficult to use. They do have great information. But I wondered if there was a "rule of thumb" on which level did what. Obviously the operators and parts TM is self explanatory. The depot and unit level are the ones I always look at the wrong one first.
Commercial manuals Ive used all my life, info is in 2 basic sections. service manual, which covers troubleshooting, and R&R. The other is unit repair, which is actual component, Trans, transfercase, etc.. Im sure the military made a bullet proof system and if you worked in one of those levels, you would know exactely which to use. I guess we use them enough and we'll figure it out.
The new programs for CAT ET and the International truck sites are very hard to learn to navigate too. Unless, you only work on one or 2 brands of trucks. just like the levels in the TMs.

emr

WHEW! :beer: well it is one thread i read thru, Glad the guy here is man enough to take it, maybe will want to give it one day, he earned it !! :beer: Well if one can not take the heat , yep, stay out of the kitchen, Its all good, take it like a man and then give it back, this is a site of alot of old salty dogs :) and for the young guys, well this is one way to learn, maybe not the best, but sure is the most fun :) If U are man enough for these trucks in my opinion ...U can and should take the ribbin that goes on here for sure... :)...Randy

As an answer to the original post and problem. I have 2 m35a2's. I bent my tire tool with a 4' cheater pipe after my impact wouldn't budge some buds after soaking them in wd40. I was turning them the right way too! What I'm about to tell you has worked 99% of the time I've had to do it.
With a torch heat the metal around whatever you're trying to get loose just a little. As it's cooling off put the torque to the bolt. The heat expands the metal just enough to loosen things up. Sometimes I've had to do it several times and sometimes had to make it red hot. On the truck , I heated the wheel hole. They came loose everytime. This is a last resort , of course, because it does change the temper of the metal a little, but I personally have never had any adverse effects from doing this in all the years I've been repairing ranch equipment. I hope this can help somebody in the future.

CobraCDR

Brain farts happen, but keep in mind the military writes ALL of the manuals at the 6th grade level... if you review the -10, -24P , etc. before you start, it will cover just about everythinig you need to know before you start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks