• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REV truck?

VP0985

Yep, 258xxx serial range. From what I hear I'm actually happy to NOT have some of the REV "upgrades" and associated replacement costs.
I agree with you. I have a M1151A1 serial range the same as yours and I'm having a hell of a time finding the correct sheppard gearbox. I could only imagine all the different items on a REV.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

VP0985

I would have thought the maintenance on a REV truck cheaper as the parts are current. Guess not.
I thought the same thing. The ability to locate parts is what kills the urge to get one for me. I think of it like ammo do you want a riffle with 556 or some oddball round like 6.5 300. Your going to find a ton of 556 way before you find 6.5 300.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a lot going on right now in the HMMWV world at AMG, The M83-P2 gear was Mfg discontinued at Sheppard, so AMG is scrambling to find either an alternative or new Mfg’er.
Sheppard is now using Weller Truck as sole Distributor for all warranty and repairs, no longer can you go Factory direct, this occurred in June I believe based on the voicemail message I received.

thoner7

That I cannot answer but I am sure others will have an opinion.

It would be the most expensive one to own for sure.

Just on this one there are much more in parts value than it sold for, they may have gotten cheaper but the top alone would have set you back the sales price in the past.
I would be willing to bet that went to a dealer right there in CA.
what exactly makes a REV more expensive to own? I assume you mean the maintenance? How do the REV trucks differ from the ECV trucks?

am I correct the ECVs trucks are the 285000 bins vrs 30000 and up?

I assume with those payload ratings the springs are stiff as ?!$&

I am trying to educate myself before next weeks auctions

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
newest variant of REV trucks uses a gearbox and shaft drive for the fan that is very expensive compared to the hydraulic clutch version.
The Sheppard steering box apparently is no longer made(?) and extremely expensive to replace.

There are a lot of other things, like liquid cooled differential and stuff like that as well compared to the earlier trucks.

Earlier (A0-A2 trucks or first 3 generations before the ECV/REV came out) trucks have a lot more parts out there as surplus and have just been in the system for a long time, leading to a larger parts supply, especially on the civilian side of things. They are also a little more basic/less complicated.

M1165A1

The REV B parts are getting more expensive - and in the case of a couple bits, hard to find - but overall they represent a vast improvement over earlier models.

The real question is cost: higher upfront cost, and higher maintenance costs -- and is that worth it you? That depends on your willingness/abilty to spend for the latest and greatest vs. the older but very serviceable. I like to have the shiniest toys so my trucks are all REV B, your mileage may vary.

thoner7

So silly question but, looking at the pics it would seem that if the angle of the radiator and oil cooler were increased, and slide to the rear a tad, it looks like they could have avoided the whole extended nose?? Am I off base here or does that seem right!?

thoner7

What’s the best way to identify a REV truck in pictures? The serial number isn’t 100% right?
it seems. That The transfer case is noticeably different, and the wire for the parking brake is eliminated - are those the REV.

^^^^I must be wrongor I’m looking at the wrong stuff

What is the easiest way to confirm when looking at the auction trucks?

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

What’s the best way to identify a REV truck in pictures? The serial number isn’t 100% right?
it seems. That The transfer case is noticeably different, and the wire for the parking brake is eliminated - are those the REV.

What is the easiest way to confirm when looking at the auction trucks?
When the bidding goes stupid 🤣

Pretty sure 300,xxx serial and up is REV.

M1165A1

When the bidding goes stupid 🤣

Pretty sure 300,xxx serial and up is REV.

Yep, serial number in the 3xx,xxx range. And I wouldn't say stupid - a 3xxxxx M1165A1 that looked pretty complete and running with doors went last week for $46K hammer price (54K with premium). That's about the nicest kind of truck you can get out of the auction, expensive but not stupid money.

thoner7

Yep, serial number in the 3xx,xxx range. And I wouldn't say stupid - a 3xxxxx M1165A1 that looked pretty complete and running with doors went last week for $46K hammer price (54K with premium). That's about the nicest kind of truck you can get out of the auction, expensive but not stupid money.
How accurate is that tho with the serial numbers? Aren’t some in the 3’s still ECV? I was hoping to confirm by seeing some of the upgrades in the photos.

Autonomy_Lost

How accurate is that tho with the serial numbers? Aren’t some in the 3’s still ECV? I was hoping to confirm by seeing some of the upgrades in the photos.
All of my TM's have different procedures for serial 300xxx and up, so unless there is some sort of weird exception I think it's a pretty safe rule.

The problem is you usually can't see the fan clutch in the pictures, and probably not the steering box. If you can see the rear diff you might be able to tell (but keep in mind that ECV's also have rear diff coolers, they just use ATF instead of coolant. I'm not sure if they look different externally or not). Also the brakes are different but it's probably pretty hard to tell from auction pictures.

M1165A1

As far as I know, the serial number range is dispositive. All 3xxxxx series feature REV B upgrades.

But word of caution, there are some trucks with other serial number ranges above 4xxxxx. I have no data on whether those are REV B. The ones I have seen with those numbers have been models other than 1151A1, 52A1, 65A1 and 67A1 models.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's pretty expensive for an auction truck that has not been gone through. I have seen trucks offered for retail at that price.

tomelroy

looks like GP added another running m1165a1 with doors in GA. I had the listing up and it said opening bid was 35,100.00, then i refreshed the window and it said 4,000.00. Wonder what that glitch was all about? Should be fun to see what it goes for....those trucks can go for crazy money!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks