• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reviving the 83 ford with LDS 5 ton drive line

Katahdin

nk14zp may be on to something. I think I can make out a fuel cut-off solenoid beside the hydraulic head. Those solenoids were not used on deuces correct? Also, I can only make out one secondary fuel filter, did the xm757s have a third/final filter? The oil cooler also looks different to me...

Last edited:

3dAngus

Not sure what it came from, but your Grandfather is MY HERO.

Totally unique and a fantastic job of engineering it in.

Thanks for sharing. Now.... how do I get a Grandpa LIKE THAT!

Kayne

Ok guys i found the ID plates on the Trans and Aux gearbox, Note i thought the Aux Gear box was the T case but its not, Rear Wheel only, But that being said the Trans is a Allison TX200-6, The Aux Box is a Brown Lipe Gear Box made by spicer. The trans from can tell came out of XM757 missile launcher hauler. This was confirmed when i call my G"ma as she said my G'pa pulled it out of a old missile launcher. Now im going to load all the photos i took.

Attachments

Kayne

heres the The Gear box and the rear end along with the rear end. Also some more of the Dash

Attachments

Katahdin

This just gets better and better!

Calling cranetruck.... Are the fuel filters the same on the xm757 engine? I saw from his posts that the filter canisters are different, top loaded, etc.

Lets help Kayne get this thing runnin! :D

Kayne

I know some of you all wanted to know what trans as u wanted a auto for your deuce. From what i found this is a 6 speed auto with lock up. They were in several different trucks, mainly the XM757. They where 8x8 so i imagine it had a T case on it or a divorced T case. Cranetruck could probably answer that tho. Did find the Full Rebuild and op manual for the TX200-6 on google e books of all places. currently reading through it lol. From what i can see it doesnt just have drive, It has 4 sets of gear ranges it will start in and then allow it to shift through. trying to figure this part out.

tm america

Some awsome parts on there.I am looking at this in total disbelief that someone took apart a really rare 8x8 xm757 amphibious truck to put the engine and trans in a f350?wow

flatheadvff

465dt with auto

I don't know about the military parts. but that is not a 89 Ford in the pictures. The latest it could be is a 86. Ford changed the front clip and dash design in 87. Also the air cleaner box is from a 94 to 97/8 7.3l powerstroke. First time I made a entry. First time I could sound like I knew what I was talking about.:D

Kayne

I don't know about the military parts. but that is not a 89 Ford in the pictures. The latest it could be is a 86. Ford changed the front clip and dash design in 87. Also the air cleaner box is from a 94 to 97/8 7.3l powerstroke. First time I made a entry. First time I could sound like I knew what I was talking about.:D

You maybe right the rear end says V170A on the tag which according to ford is out of a 85-86 ford F350 and is a 10.25 dia. ring gear with a 4.10 ratio. I think the title says 89 tho and again i might not remember it right, ill check the vin on the truck as well as the id plate and title, as you can tell my GF was not above using things from other trucks, As for the XM757, to my understanding there is a junk yard some where near Henrietta Ok that my GF got the parts from and it was a stripped down truck, axles already removed and cab. He just went after the motor and trans. Note he had 1 old Deuce and a 5 ton from the same place and also out of this same junk yard he built a 55 ford on a 85 ford bronco frame. He sold the Deuce and 5 ton when he quit cutting wood for a living. Dont worry since ive mentioned the 55 ford ill post pics, note before anyone says impossible the frames dont match, originally you be right, the bronco frame was stretched by 4 inchs or so. My dad owns it currently, ive helped him rebuild the engine and put a new wiring harness in it. Back to the Beast as its know in my family, fluids levels all checked out. the only thing im worried about is algee in the fuel, the truck is almost empty of fuel tho. theres maybe a 1/8 of a inch in the tank, would some seafoam and fresh diesel do it. or you think or should i go ahead and flush the fuel system and change filters before i wake the Beast?

Any one wanna give there 2cents

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it looks like it came from an xm757 (same as m656) alright.
Here are a few images of the engine. Fuel filters are different from the deuce and the primary strainer type, was mounted near the fuel tank on the frame.
The turbo is not a "C".

Attachments

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Primary fuel strainer

Bjorn,

Sure would like to have one of those primary strainers shown in your post.

Have any idea where I might get one, complete, in good condition?

Thanks for your help,
Orren Winjum

Yes, it looks like it came from an xm757 (same as m656) alright.
Here are a few images of the engine. Fuel filters are different from the deuce and the primary strainer type, was mounted near the fuel tank on the frame.
The turbo is not a "C".

Kayne

well i know the primary fuel filter that in you picture cranetruck is located on the frame rail for me. My G'pa put there for obvious reasons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks