• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reviving the 83 ford with LDS 5 ton drive line

Kayne

Ok the more I look into this the more I realize I can't afford to take care of this drive line, im tempted to traded it out for a Cummins 6BTA and a world series allison, I know it be some work but I would be able to afford the up keep and I'm very very familiar with them, anyone want to throw there 2cents in

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,

Sure would like to have one of those primary strainers shown in your post.

Have any idea where I might get one, complete, in good condition?

Thanks for your help,
Orren Winjum
Image shows it assembled.

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
nk14zp may be on to something. I think I can make out a fuel cut-off solenoid beside the hydraulic head. Those solenoids were not used on deuces correct? Also, I can only make out one secondary fuel filter, did the xm757s have a third/final filter? The oil cooler also looks different to me...
so it is a LDS not a LDT. does not look like it would be anywhere near safe to drive on the road.

Last edited:

Kayne

86 Ford F350 W/LDS 465-2 and Allison TX200-6

Ok so to clarify this is not a hoax ill refer you to this thread (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...972-465-ldt-auto-trans-t-case-what-worth.html) pages 3 and 5 for pics. Since the Drive line is a 5 ton setup out of a XM757 i figured id post in the appropriate section and the truck can only be described as a 5 ton hot rod as nothing is quite original about it.

The following is the Info i have gatherd so far on the truck

Engine
LDS 465-2
478ci 195Hp and 425 ft/lbs tq

Trans Allison
M/N TX200-6
P/N 6774846
S/N 9X-449

Aux Gear Box
Brown Lipe Gear Box
spicer manufacturing corp.
Model 5531
Low Gear 2.00 to 1
Std Gear 1 to 1
High gear .72 to 1
S/N 62210
Use SAE 50 or 70 engine oil
Spicer 5531 auxillary transmission ratios:
* 2:1, 1:1, .72:1

Rear end
v170A
10 10 2 6F05
4.10 ratio
10.25 dia

Trying to get it running again as its sat for while (about 2 years). Got a Pm in to Westfolk about a filter kit for the lds. Want to change all the fluids and filters and clean the lines out before I starter her up. Do it right or dont do it all. That brings me to the Trans. Anyone know if you can still get the filter for this thing or am is just wasting my time even trying aua. Figured the 5 ton guys would know. Any other tips would help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be the first one to use this gem:
nopics
Click the link to the other thread!

This is why continuing one thread is always best.

You could have asked for the thread to be moved to a different forum.

I'm going to merge these 2 threads now.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles are stock Ford 1-ton; the rear is definitely a Sterling, I can't tell if the front is a solid axle (rare for 80-86 Fords) or the more-common TTB. Either way the springs & axles are Ford stockers.

Very interesting conversion. I have an 86 GMC 2500 my Grandfather converted to a Detroit Diesel 4-53T with a Deuce tranny in it...it sat for 5 years or so, and took me quite a while to get running reliably. The motor runs great, but every fuel line, hose, belt, etc...was dry-rotted and needed replacing; the fuel filters were plugged with algae as well.

I'd recommend leaving the setup as-is as a tribute to your Grandfather. You can easily get this truck on the road. Check in the forums here, you should be able to find reference lists with all the appropriate replacement part numbers in them. I've gotten most of my replacement items from NAPA for both my Deuce MF motor as well as my DD 4-53T; there are vendors on this site in the Classifieds section who sell LOTS of new & NOS replacement parts.

Completely disassemble both fuel filter canisters & clean any potential algae or gunk out. I would use fresh diesel fuel to flush out the fuel lines; you can get a 12-volt electric fuel pump from an auto parts store, along with fuel line & fittings, and make some jumper cables out of 12-gauge wires to power the fuel pump. Then force fresh diesel fuel through the fuel lines into a catch container at the other end.

If the diesel fuel in the tank(s) still flows, you can refilter it like I did; my GF's old GMC had nearly 100 gallons of diesel fuel still in it that was free-flowing with a little algae in it. I used Bio-Cide to kill the algae, then drained the tanks & refiltered the fuel with my little 12-volt fuel pump. I used several cheap automotive inline filters (obtained about 5 of the custom chrome ones for free from a friend who had no use for them) to filter the algae chunks out of the fuel, then threw them away when plugged. Using fuel hose & hose clamps made this an easy task.

Make sure you add a good fuel conditioner to the diesel to prevent gelling & other problems; the Bio-Cide will survive the fuel filters to remain in the fuel to prevent algae from returning.

Is the primary fuel tank in the bed extension? Does it still have the stock fuel tank? If you can get a clean 55-gallon drum, this will be pretty easy. Once the fuel & fuel lines are cleared, and the canister filters are cleaned, install the new filters and gaskets (make sure you lubricate the gaskets with a little grease/oil or diesel fuel before installing them). Make sure you rotate the canister as you tighten the top bolt, to make sure it's seated in the groove and not cock-eyed. There is a specific order to the canister filter components, refer to the free TMs in "TMs" forum section to see the proper assembly order.

Before starting, I'd make sure the fuel supply is shut OFF, batteries disconnected, and then try barring over the engine to make sure everything inside is free. If so, then after changing engine oil and coolant, as well as power steering fluid, check the level in the auto trans and verify the belts are holding together. Now you're ready to crank her over. I'd have a spare pair of batteries on hand or a quick-charger, as you'll probably have to crank for a little while to get all the crud loosened and get the fresh fuel flowing throughout.

Oh yeah, before cranking her over, MAKE SURE that your fuel supply is ON (ask me how I know as on my DD 4-53T there isn't an Accessory Lever blocking it like in a Deuce :eek:).

You might want to disconnect the air intake & have a wooden board handy to cover the air intake to kill it in case of a runaway; DO NOT use a rag, as this will get sucked into the engine...use a piece of thick sheetmetal or wooden board to cut off air intake to kill it JUST IN CASE.

When I recovered my Deuce a year ago, it had been sitting for a couple of years. I added 10 gallons of fresh diesel and a pair of fresh batteries, and she started right up! However, all the rubber hoses were dry-rotted and fuel was spraying from every flexible fuel line, but I was able to move her into a better position for loading onto my trailer.

Hope this helps, good luck! Don't give up, give this setup a shot to get running and you'll find it's A LOT cheaper than swapping a different engine/trans in. Enjoy your Grandfather's engineering for a while, hopefully it will bring back some good memories for you. My coworkers are shocked I drive such an old truck to work; I simply tell them that my old GMC is sentimental to me, it belonged to my grandparents and it's fun to drive. It's a PITA to work on, but fun to drive.

Last edited:

Kayne

First Thank you doghead, i corrected the State issue and am sorry about the dual thread. Didnt know that moving it was a option or merging. Is changing the Thread name possible?? is so can you make it like "reviving the 86 ford with 5 ton drive line or something as such. As for jeeplvr247 don't be quick to judge as anything is possible with some effert and thought. Im currently making a album as well of all the pic i have of the truck, not sure how to link it either but will figure it out.

Next Thank you Silverstate55, Guess i was just panicking thinking about all the maintanence i need to do to get her going again, i know how to go about this as i use to work for both a Cat dealer (Yancey Bros Cat here in Ga) and then Tico terminal services which is a Jocky truck dealer and manufacturing company. So i got the tools and the Exp just not the exact knowledge of this driveline. With help from Katahdin I got ahold of Westfolk about the filter kits. Definetly going to do the engine oil kit. There is almost no diesel in the tank which is the big white block behind the cab in front of the bed. This will make cleaning the fuel system out easier. Need to know if the LDS uses a mechanical lift pump or is it all just suction from the injection pump. Id it does what is the PSI on it as i might use the electric lift pump and seperator assembly i have. Im about to hit the site now in search of the trans filter and fuel pump info, any help would be awesome. Thanks again guys,

Edit: Added pics of Separator Pump assembly

Attachments

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Got to love it when a newbie makes good and old farts got to eat crow! Great truck I vote you keep what your grandfather built, maybe refine it some and pass it on down. It is one of a kind and I would love to have my grandpas truck.

Kayne

so whats goin on with the truck?
As of right now I found Napa filters to use with the stock setup. Going to order a gallon jug of seafoam hopefully in the next week and use it to flush the fuel system. Next is the engine oil and filters. Main problem is money. With holidays and all money is tight. Hoping for new job with better pay. Got a price list on main things need and its about 400. Probably low compared to a normal 5 ton

Kayne

That would be awesome. I've never driven it myself. Before I can do much more tho I need 2 batteries. Those are not cheap. I work at autozone and I can get the AGM batteries for about 125 a piece. Anyone know of awesome batteries for cheaper

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a commercial store locally, have them check the out-of-date consignment batteries.

1/2 price.
What Heath said. I've been getting my batteries for $20-30 each, all at only 1 year old (shelf life expired, cannot sell them retail after that) after placing them on battery testers. The worst one is 97% healthy, all the others tested better up to 100%. I've purchased about 7 of them this way from our local commercial outlet (the warehouse that stocks Auto Zone, Checker, O'Reilley's, et al).

Heath_h49008

AGMs are overrated IMHO.

If you work at AZ, ask your grey shirts about the out-of-date batteries.

If you have never seen them, someone has a sweetheart deal for them and they are getting sent out as fast as they get cycled. The label will say "Used Battery"... they aren't used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks