• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ricks Deuce build

bigginstactical

Its been some time since I have updated this thread. I have been working on the rig just not near as much as I have wanted. The roof has been my main project and it is now nearing an end. I hope to finish it up soon. These last few weeks I have made the filler panels, frame work and been welding it all together. finished building the last of the panels today and started welding them in. Here are some Pics of the progress. photo 4.jpgphoto 1(2).jpgphoto 1(1).jpgphoto 2(1).jpg

Attachments

bigginstactical

Haha I would love AC at some point! I do love my kidneys but I drove many hours with no suspension and the crappy factory seat since I have to lower it all the way to to squeeze into the cab. These seats are way more comfortable and if I do have an Issue I built them on plates so I can add springs if need be..... hoping I won't :S haha

ATPTac

Just now seeing this thread... Very nicely done. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I wish I knew how to weld and do body work, I can turn a wrench but have zero experience with anything else.

Another Ahab

Just now seeing this thread... Very nicely done. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I wish I knew how to weld and do body work, I can turn a wrench but have zero experience with anything else.
Everybody starts the same: there's a first time for anything. And the rest is all follow-through.

There was a day when Wayne Gretzky tried on a pair of skates for the first time.

You can do it (or always find somebody else that can).

bigginstactical

So I have been working on it here and there lately. Put about 4 solid days in the last two weeks and made some really good progress. I added all the square tubing to the rear door frames to stiffen them up and allow for the windows to be installed. I also cut and fabbed the latches and striker system to the left door. It seems like it will work perfectly so now on to the the right door. I have also purchased many of the remaining parts to finish up the build and am planning on getting this thing ready for paint within a few more weeks. More pics to come but here are a few of the door project. All the other small projects are not worth mentioning or snapping pics of but we all no they had to be done haha.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigginstactical

I ended up getting quite a bit done this weekend, not as much as I hoped but still a good chunk. I copied the rear left door and finished all the fabrication for the right rear and it is now about an hour of prep away from skinning. The rear left I blasted and ground to clean up for skinning. Last night I made the skin and installed it onto the left door. It came out very well imho. Hoping tonight to get the right door prepped for the skin and make that skin. Getting much closer. More updates and pics coming soon I hope :)

Attachments

bigginstactical

I was able to finish up the passenger door and got it all glued today. Came out pretty good. I also fabricated the first of two filler panels between the front and rear doors. The pic is just mock up, I still have some grinding and fitting to do. All in all the amount of time I had this weekend went pretty well. more to come soon hopefully.

photo 4 (2).jpgphoto 1 (2).jpgphoto 2 (2).jpg

Another Ahab

I ended up getting quite a bit done this weekend, not as much as I hoped but still a good chunk. I copied the rear left door and finished all the fabrication for the right rear and it is now about an hour of prep away from skinning. The rear left I blasted and ground to clean up for skinning. Last night I made the skin and installed it onto the left door. It came out very well imho. Hoping tonight to get the right door prepped for the skin and make that skin. Getting much closer. More updates and pics coming soon I hope :)

Window.jpg

How do you cut your sheet metal for the window opening:

- Grinder?

- Jig/ Recip Saw?

- Something else?

Another Ahab

I used a 3 inch 3m cut off wheel. Pretty much what I used on almost the entire project for cuts haha.
Those are mighty clean cuts. You're a wizard with a cutting wheel:

- Just a plain straightedge to guide the wheel?

- And then how do you finish those inside corners (I'm not thinking the cutting wheel gets you there, but maybe so)?

w3azel

No kidding I can't get my cutting wheel to work that well. What size and thickness are you using for the skin and tubing. About to start building my roof 100% custom and thinking 18ga for skin and 1" square tubing for structure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks