• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rim and tire set up

True Knight

True Knight ~ What lift kit and steering crossover kit did you go with . . . truck looks really cool as ****
Thanks. The lift is a 4" Skyjacker Softride. I am happy with it. Decent flex and still stiff enough to carry a heavy load. The Steering crossover is from Off Road Design. I highly recommend it. Everything is very heavy duty and it is designed so that you can easily add a high steer kit in the future.

NICK_M1009

So Nick, what size tires would you put on.
Sorry CPAPPY, a little late on this one. I had 33's, 35's, and 37" tall tires. the 33 and 35" tires were 12.5" wide. My truck drove and would ride nice. the 37" tires were 13.5" wide and still drove nice.

One time I bought a truck with Dik Cepek tires( they were called baja something's I cant remember) but they were 32 or 33" x 15.5" wide. They drove like sh!t and I was not impressed at all. GRANTED, I live in Michigan and the roads suck, but the difference between the 12.5" wide and 15.5" wide tire was VERY noticeable...

I went off-road with all those tires and I like the 12.5" tires over the wider ones. Seemed the 12.5" tires would dig down to solid ground and get a bite a little better. The wider tires seemed to push alot of the mud.

12.5"-13.5" wide tires is what I'd say. Just my 2cents......

CPAPPY

Thanks. The lift is a 4" Skyjacker Softride. I am happy with it. Decent flex and still stiff enough to carry a heavy load. The Steering crossover is from Off Road Design. I highly recommend it. Everything is very heavy duty and it is designed so that you can easily add a high steer kit in the future.
How do you like these tires , are they holding up for you. And you are you going to change the brand tire after those wear out. It all looks good any more pictures of truck. How much trimming did you do .

True Knight

The Nitto's have worked well since I've had them. I got the tires and rims as a set on craigslist for $500. The fronts are about 60% tread but the rears were maybe %20 because the previous owner had them on an IFS front end and didn't know what a tire rotation was. But they work quite well in the mud and sand, and look pretty cool too.

I am planning to get brand new Interco SSM16's when I replace the nittos. They have a military looking tread pattern and have bullets molded into the sidewall. It will definitely enhance the military look of the truck while also being a great off road tire. They have very good reviews too. The attached pic is the SSM16

Attachments

True Knight

I had to trim the front fenders on both sides of the opening to clear these big MT's. (Rear fenders didn't need any trimming.) I had originally planned to do some trick cutting and welding of the fenders to make it look like it came from the factory with that much clearance, but decided not to go that route after thinking about all the work that would be.

These are good looking tires that work good too.

Attachments

True Knight

No problem. Notice on the rear part of the inner fender, I pushed it back and secured with self tapping screws. It made the trim job less noticeable and keeps the function of the inner fender.

i installed these when i first picked up my m-1010...6" superlift,and 37-12.50-17 bfg mud terrains.this is back in 2006 or so.they don't make this style of mudder at bfg anymore.only a little trim required at the lower fender lips in front,and a trim on the body skirt in the back...

crossover steering came from northwest fab,and made a huge difference.truck looks a little saggy in back because it was also serving as a parts hauler and storage unit...had tools a d-60 and 4 np-205's in back at the time...the superlift springs are way stiff in front but perfect in back.

Attachments

Last edited:

TCUCV

Hey True Knight, did you have to put on longer brake lines with the 4" lift? I've noticed a lot of kits don't have them included. Nice job on cutting the fenders by the way, hope mine turns out that good.

True Knight

Hey True Knight, did you have to put on longer brake lines with the 4" lift? I've noticed a lot of kits don't have them included. Nice job on cutting the fenders by the way, hope mine turns out that good.
No, i did not have to install longer ones. There is plenty of length in the stock ones. But I do agree with Cucvfreek, its a good safety item to replace on a 25+ year old vehicle.

CPAPPY

This is what I came up with . Michelin 11.00R16 XL. I really like the look's of the tire but , It is narrow . Although I still like them . I had to drive 41/2 hour both way to get them in MICHIGAN, I feel it was well worth it though. I had the tires mounted to my stock rim all 5 with new brass stems for $66.00 . boy they are heavy after putting in the rims . Well here are some pictures I know everyone loves picture . I am working on a lift kit now , it will be a skylift 8"
w/rear springs no blocks . In the back it's the stock springs , front I have it lifted up around 3 inchs from the orginal height there is about 4.5 inch space between the front axle and the overload rubber bumper. This make the truck level.

Attachments

bshupe

True Knight - Looks like you have done quite a bit more in the back than just some lift for tires??? I see disc rotors back there but nothing obvious for the lift. Is the lift you did spring only? If so, why go with spring only and not a flip kits etc. etc.?

I love this whole thread by the way. Very good dialog, no mud slinging, great photos etc.

Thanks to everyone!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks