• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rod Ventilated Block in Deuce -NOT- Crank Broke

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Casters might be nice if I trusted have a 1-ton load flopping around 5 feet off the ground but I don't. In my opinion it is much safer to do it this way. If someone can convince me otherwise I do listen (don't tell my wife that).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the casters/wheels on a spring suspension. The suspension is strong enough to support the gantry for portability but compress under load so that the gantry become rigid.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would solve the moving it around problem but people seem to want to swing the power pack around and roll it out in front of the truck on the crane. Not a big fan. I've seen cranes flip and if it happened and one of my friends got hurt........well you can guess how I'd feel about it. I will be putting at least one more one inch pin in each side above the normal pin for safety.

Once the power pack is disconnected and up in the air I have the backhoe to push the truck backwards to the wall.

m816

We like pulling the powerpacks as unit using the wrecker.A whole lot easier to work on them on the ground or make a cradle for it on rollers os you can move it around the shop. I made a sling to grab both lifting point on the engine and keep the load either centered or it canbe tilted to re-install the powepack. It is just the right job for a wrecker, and safer too.

tm america

The big junk yard around here has a frame cranes they let you use to pull engines ..They have huge swivel casters with car tires on them.... They are not really any wider in any dirrection but they are very stable ..They actually push or pull the whole contraption around with the loader or a car..Even on uneven ground i haven't seen one tip over even with the engine swinging .But really it is about proportions if the base is to narrow it will be tipsy even without wheels.Do what makes you sleep good at night .. With gimpy and steve together i would be extra careful of things flipping over..Especially since i would be there for counterweight....

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, I can't believe I didn't catch this thread earlier...the power outage might explain this a little though. Sorry to hear about the mishap, but I'm glad you're safe and you were able to get it home in all of that heat.

I'm even more surprised that NOBODY called me!!!!!! I hope all goes well with the pull, and Steve, if you need anything feel free to ask. I'll do what I can to help out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Casters might be nice if I trusted have a 1-ton load flopping around 5 feet off the ground but I don't. In my opinion it is much safer to do it this way. If someone can convince me otherwise I do listen (don't tell my wife that).

I have experience with this. I've pulled 2 multis and 2 beds (deuce) with mine, which has casters and is being operated on a smooth surface.

No problems whatsoever as long as you move slow. The weight involved (1400+ lbs) seems to keep the load from beginning to swing. Think about how much easier a swing is to push when there's no one in it.

Alternately, you could throw a couple of straps on to keep the load from swinging.

I would definitely recommend a crane with casters after my experience.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, my gantry of old was a chain between to slash pines and a chainfall off of that. Once the trees touch, the device gets pretty sturdy.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a typical GM piece, probably made in shop. The one ton rating was for whatever hoist they had on it, not typically the rating of the gantry itself.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not GM made. It is actually made by an outside firm. It has tags on it and there is info in a cast on one of the feet. They had rows of them at the plant here.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about a set of machinery dollies attached to the feet? They would be more than sturdy enough (get 10 ton ones if you like). That would still allow you to roll front and back but wouldn't swivel like casters would.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New Pics - No Slushy

I got worked up enough to pull the pan on the Deuce before I pull the engine just for grins. Wasn't too bad even with all the oil dripping on me and the dried Haspin mud from 2011 falling off on me from places you rarely clean...

No slushy and except for three chunks of casting from something and a lot of what feels like sand in the rear sump (little pieces of metal) I could find no evidence of the destruction I initially suspected happened. The pieces are magnetic. I did not have somone bump the starter while I was watching from undeneath. In addition to safety I was amazed that after sitting for 7 days without turning over the mount of oil still dripping down. I can't wait to see my floor.

I'm looking for a chain hoist of some kind with a high enough capacity to suit me before I pull the engine.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks