• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sarge rides again!

Sarge

So, is Sarge crazy?
See the M1030 thread and you decide.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24166
To cut a long story short, I just bought an M1030 USMC motorcycle from another SS member, M1028A1ShelterCarrier.
I’m flying to Reno next Friday and catching a bus to California to pick up the motorcycle. As many of you know, physically, I’m a wreck. I know that I can still ride a motorcycle 100 miles, but more than 2,000? Well, we’ll see what happens.
Here’s my master plan so far:
Friday, pick up the bike, ride off into the wilderness and camp for the night.
Saturday, ride down to Los Angeles to visit an old German buddy that I’ve not seen for 22 years. Hang out with him until Sunday or Monday morning.
Sunday or Monday morning: ride back to Austin, Texas arriving no later than 8 days later. I will be traveling with a toothbrush and a sleeping bag. Each night I will find a remote spot in the desert to lie down. Hopefully the tarantulas and rattlers won’t find me tasty.
So, why am I bothering to explain all of this to you? Who gives a rats, right?
Because I want advice!!!
Where should I visit? What should I see? Help me!
Eight days is a pretty slow pace for CA to Texas, even for old Sarge.
I only have two rules for this trip.
Rule number one: No interstates
Rule number two: No large cities
Rule number three: No rules
Ooops! Okay, three rules.
I’m not big on museums, I do like spectacular scenery.
So, advice please?
Thanks!
-Sarge

Attachments

mangus580

Sarge... I know nothing of the area you will travel through... but I sure cant wait to see the end result of this. Your story, and pictures of this adventure will be a classic, I am sure!

No.2Diesel

A trip on the original Route 66 in CA,AZ,NM (Oatman, Kingman etc.) might be fun if you haven't done that yet.

Other things to see:

Bryce & Zion Nat. Pks. Grand Canyon A ride through Monument Valley is nice

Hit some ghost towns.

A reeeeaallly cool ride is on Rt89 from Prescott to Flagstaff. You will approach some mountains and on top is a place called Jerome. Everything built on mineshafts. If your not into heights, it may be scary.

Good luck on your journey.

saddamsnightmare

July 19th, 2008. :?

SARGE:

Be really, really careful! If a rattlesnake bites you, cut an "X" between the fangs, to bleed out that Sarge poison, and the snake might survive.......... Otherwise you might have to do CPR on the snake.... ARE YOU NUTS? Why do I ask, you have a reputation for going way over the edge.....
Given that's a ex-USMC dirt bike, I pretty much expect you to have the tar vibrated outta you before you get back to Texas.... Be careful, take your time, have fun.... (NO stops in Tijuanna to visit the senoritas..... ) [thumbzup] , and, oh, don't forget the photographs and the inevitable stories....

Good Luck,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 trailer, cargo, 120th CBE
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gen Set, Gas, APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB

Barrman

Sounds like fun. North Rim of the Grand Canyon is wide open and amazing to see without all the people around you.

Drive safe.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't wait to hear the after action report on this adventure! John, be safe and no trail riding alone, remember last crash? I hope you have a camera and plenty of batteries or a way to charge them. 8 days on the road riding and camping? No less than 200 pics. Take communications and get the numbers of some members who can post if you need help. Don't forget the first aid kit and snake bite kit. Peace be with you and God Bless!

davidkroberts

well you HAVE to see tombstone arizona and have a beer at the Crystal Palace Saloon (of Wyatt Earp fame) other than that try to swing through Hemet California and travel over the mountains into a place called Idelwyld. Its the birthplace of sport rockclimbing and worth the trip.

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
I did the Route 66 thing in a Corvette back in 1965 (no air conditioning) with a wife and 2 year old. Drove across the desert at night while it was cool. 8) Fort Ord, California to Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

yorkgulch2

I've been riding out to San Diego every summer for work (2 easy days from Denver) and really like 66 it keeps you fairly far north across the desert. If you can go through Kingman then to Grand Canyon hit some Flagstaff and Canyon De Cheley (misspelled) or SE to Prescott on 89 then east on 89 . Then east on 89 through some neat canyons and mining areas to Sedona (great bike run). Could take 89 all the way to Glenn Canyon if you are making good time. If you go south at Prescott I hear US 60 is (nice that would keep you south across New Mexico I haven't tried that. Another run I like is 95 south on the Colorado River then east on 72 to 60. Have fun! Early morning or night is the coolest riding but watch out for critters at night.

EO2NMCB

If you are riding on I-10 out of LA stop at the Patton museum at chiriaco summit, last time I stopped there they had a sherman, bunch of m48 patton tanks, mb inside and some stuff from when patton trained there in early part of WWII.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Stop in Radiator Springs and see Doc Hutson and Maitor....

Really please take a camera and at least your cell phone. I am quite sure this will top the recovery stories I can not imagine riding that far on that bike. It would be like driving my Rokon. I would add 800 Mg Motrin to that list.

I found in my youth that if I got far enough from the road I was fine for nights in a bag.

rockman

Sarge, remember to take Mr. Smith or Mr. Wesson with you also as those guys love to travel and see this great country....take your water also.

Bill

pistolnut

rockman said:
Sarge, remember to take Mr. Smith or Mr. Wesson with you also as those guys love to travel and see this great country....take your water also.

Bill
Or as our fellow Texan Ray Wylie Hubbard said: "And when I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I take along Samuel Colt".

I've done the crossing the desert on a motorcycle in August thing and I would say keep each leg of your trip pretty short so you feel like seeing stuff when you get to it. Also, be sure to have plenty of water, out west you may be stuck for many hours if you have problems.

I saw Tombstone just a few months ago and it was much better than it was many years ago, worth the trip. Stop for Chico's tacos in El Paso (gross, but you'll find yourself wanting more a week later). Check out the old fort in Ft. Stockton, especially the old jail.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks