• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sarge rides again!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow:
I kinda thought that a dirt bike would not like constant running. I have owned six bikes and walking miles with a flat rear tire is no fun. Chain adjustment with a leatherman can get dicey I hope that the bike will be repairable and thank God for friends. Please give him our regards

historyfanatics

Well, since you will be staying off the interstates, might I suggest a romp through northern Arizona and Northern New Mexico. Definitely a lot cooler than the desert Southwest.

Points that come to mid are:
Grand Canyon
Shiprock
Four Corners
Tahoe
Bottom of Boulder Dam
Copper mines of Arizona
Raton Pass in New Mexico
Following the trail at the top of the Oregon Mountains down from Santa Fe to White Sands
Roswell
The place wher they have all those big satellite dishes pointed out into space (I don't remember the name, but the view from the bluff is fantastic)
El Capitan

Sorry, but that's about all I can remember. I took a similar trip, although by jeep. I drove out of Texas all the way to Seattle and back. I plan to do it again sometime soon, but this time, I'd like to take somebody with me to share.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Latest update- 0721 I pulled back up at the house. Recovery complete (Sarge and M1030) 2242 miles round trip. Other than a real close look at a tornado on the trip out (registered around 99987866994.2 on the pucker scale), no real entertainment to report. Details later after some rack time.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Cheers

Pic 1- Sarge riding through the night, with his characteristic grin, headed for Texas.

Pic 2- But wait, as we pan out we see he has engaged the "wind attenuation and stability augmentation system"....

Attachments

Last edited:

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Who Hoo. Now we expect to see a lifting system on the front of the duece for the bike or at least a ramp to load it in the back. Glad you are all back and thank-you for taking the time and spending the money to go recover our friend. I love this site.

Tanner

M813rc said:
...2242 miles round trip...
"And this years ' Iron Butt Award ', brought to you by Preparation H, goes to...."

Good to hear Sarge made it back safe... did anyone do a post-trip ammo count? :shock:

"Tanner"

saddamsnightmare

August 2nd, 2008. [thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

Sarge:

You are a tougher Iron-BUTT then that USMC bike!!! :lol: I rather doubted any two cycle could stand that much running at high speed :? , but I was more worried about you..... :beer: The story that comes outta this one oughta be worth hearing....
The end of the Civil War was near when quite accidentally, Sarge got ahold of a USMC bike and......?

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce...
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen-set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge will be posting a full AAR in his own inimitable style. It will probably take him a day or two though.

As regards going to get him, that's just what friends do. I am lucky to count such a man as my friend. I know you guys would have done the same thing.

By the way, the bike does have a front fender, we took it off because it tended to whip about in the high winds we drove through coming back, thought it might split or be otherwise damaged.

Colonel David- Sarge has a midship crane on his M1003 that should hoist his bike aboard rather handily! It would be cool to devise a carry rack of some sort for other vehicles too.

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad the Sarge is back and safe.

It's good to have friends on the site and elsewhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the AAR is coming, I'm just going to sit back and toss some :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Sarge

Sarge made it!

I'm Alive!!!!
After thousands of miles of adventure, I finally made it home!
Here's a question for ya;
how many of you have a buddy who would take off from work, scrounge a trailer then drive 24 hours straight to come and rescue you?
You do? Then you are as lucky as me.
Rory (M813rc) drove 2,200 that's right, two thousand two hundred miles round trip to save Sarge from wrinkling to death in Arizona.
I have a hard time trying to describe what it's like to have a buddy like that.
Would I do the same for him? In a heartbeat!
Anyhoo,
I did take dozens of photo's but give me a couple of days to recover before posting the after action report.
The trip was literally Hell. (Did the SS word changer change that to Heck? oh well)
Off road in Death Valley in high summer on a dirt bike? Who's a moron?
It was going to end tragically until my son saved me.
It's a long story, I'll put pen to paper and you'll see it first.
Give me a couple of days......
-Sarge

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Sarge made it!

Welcome back Sarge. I have 2 friends that would do that for me and I for them. Guess I am as lucky as you!

Pawnshop

RE: Sarge made it!

I saw him at the club meeting last month and got a very brief version of the story. He has promised to sit down and write the long version of the saga and it will be posted here and on our club website, have not seen it yet (Sarge is easily distracted:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks