• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scavenging Fuel - Can a Deuce Do It?

BlizzardX23

Probably the best and worst prepared group of people for when the WTSHTF are the old order Amish.

They are mostly still off the grid and are fairly self-sufficient.....they are also pacifists which make them an ideal target for bad people. The best they can hope for is a group of decent folks that will protect them and barter that protection for food.

Ref the airport as a fuel source you are correct...both jet fuel and aviation gas can be burned in the deuce. The jet fuel (souped up kerosene) needs a little UMO or WVO added to it.

I know the data plate on a deuce says not to use aviation grade gas but I have done it (ran out of diesel at a remote airport in Germany). You just have to cut it at least 50/50 with oil to knock down the octane.

I agree that there will be a lot of people out in the woods competing for food but a majority of the citified masses will sit in place waiting for the government to pull their fat out of the fire. By the time they realize that no help is coming it will be too late for a lot of them.

The problem with food storage is that you have to have alot of it stored up. Depending on the time of year TSHTF will determine if you can supplement your stored food with fresh stuff frome a garden (assuming you have planted a garden and can keep other people from helping themselves).

If TSHTF in the winter you are going to have to have enough to carry you through till a garden comes in (assuming you have the means and seeds to plant a gardern). The more people you have to provide for the more you will need to put by.

Bulk foods can be nitro-packed in 5 gallon pails lined with Mylar bags. Dried beans, rice, pasta, flour, meal and other staples can be stored for a long time this way. You can also store seeds this way to plant when conditions permit.

Store bought canned goods have various shelf lifes. Check out this site: Shelf Life of Canned and Dry Foods by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy

Keeping livestock is a good idea but you have to have food stored or available for them too.

Survival requires a lot of forethought and planning.

Its always fun to read stories like this...and think of what we would do

A

A/C Cages

I always have a rotation of food stocked up. www.beprepared.com is where I get my 25 year storage limit freeze dried foods. They come in complete meals with an average of 2000 calories or 1500 calorie counts. Before you say yuck, wow I was amazed at how great these meals are. They are not MREs at all.
They are a real survival store with the best prices I could find around.
I have 10 years of food stocked up for 8 people. I rotate that stock once a year with new foods. Yet it adds up since I eat out alot too.
As for the fuel, I have 3 - 500 gallon tower tanks in my rear yard always full. Those rare days when fuel is cheap I refill them all. Notice I said RARE cheap days, lol

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think fuel for MVs or any other kind of vehicle will be a small concern compared to other issues.

Without a power grid, there will be no light, heat (or fan to blow it), cold storage, water distribution, communications...and so on and so on.
Driving your truck may not seem too important IMO nor will there be too many destinations much better than where you are.

I say stock up on non-perishable food items, Crown Royal, generators, batteries and chargers, gas or diesel for the gennies,
and weapons of your choice to protect what you have planned for.

Beyond that...ask yourself...how long do you want to survive?:roll:

militarysteel

its easy to get caught up in the SHTF situations,

most important to me is fresh water, you can make it lot more days with water,
so have a place in mind where there is some shelter and a well, or fresh water lake,

Water, Shelter, hopefully you have a wood burner or fireplace, and some way to protect your self/hunt, in your bug out bag make sure to have some flint and steel, incase you use up all your matches and liters, you never know you could be off the map for quite some time.

The Multifuel in the M35A2 even though its slow, it would be something that will burn fuel that no other engines use, i couldn't think of a better truck to have, if things got real ugly, and if people see it chances are they will assume you are someone not to mess with,

i wonder if you killed some cows and gathered up all the fat and rendered it, if the multi fuel would run off it. worst case... no fuel around.

BlizzardX23

hmmm...making fuel for the deuce...out of dead animals....
meat = food.... fat = truck fuel...hide = clothing

Is it just me? or are others not too terribly distraught by the thought of these ideas? would be kinda cool I think!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hmmm...making fuel for the deuce...out of dead animals....
meat = food.... fat = truck fuel...hide = clothing

Is it just me? or are others not too terribly distraught by the thought of these ideas? would be kinda cool I think!
Without all the means to the equation, here's another extreme:

ZOMBIES -> -> Processing = FUEL

BlizzardX23

Your RIGHT!!! I didnt even think of that....if we are processing zombies for fuel, that means we can save the animal fat as fuel for fires to keep warm..And while using Zombifuel, its reducing the amount of rotting bodies on the side of the street. Also, due to the chemical nature of zombie skin, I believe it would greatly increase the performance of these trucks!! :jumpin:

A

A/C Cages

Zombies unrealistic
BUT there will be a ton of decaying bodies in a real disaster. Get past the burial rights and use their bodies to live. Dont waste anything in front of you. Dont use them as food unless last resort. Use them as fuel? Just dont let them sit around causing more and more problems like diseases.

militarysteel

that is why it would be nice to reach down lock in front axle and drive over them bodies. all layin around,

i wonder how many gallons of fat fuel you could get from a cow, or a pig

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One of the issues I see with using animal based fats as a fuel would be the thickening once it cooled down from the rendering process. If you could find something to mix it with to keep it from clogging up tanks, filters and lines I would say you could use it as an emergency fuel.

If you used hog lard would it smell like bacon frying????

transman

Like I told the DEP inspector when he asked why I have so much WVO and such laying around ? Most of my friends have arsenals, me not so much. When SHTF I'll trade energy for ammo. (don't think he saw the humor)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most of my friends have arsenals, me not so much. When SHTF I'll trade energy for ammo. (don't think he saw the humor)
I try to have a little bit of everything....including a big reference library.

At one time (many years ago) I was a member of a local survival group....one time when it was my turn to host a meeting one guy was looking through my books on butchering.

He was somewhat surprised (aghast, horrified, repulsed) to find out I had one that showed how to field dress a human.

I don't think he ever came to another meeting at my place.

A

A/C Cages

By the way, I wouldnt worry about Zombies as much as I would worry about the
apocalypse coming up.
Well not the apocalypse itself but all the religious fanatics out there who belive that its the end of the world and end up making crap happen. Those fanatics are the only thing we need to really worry about trying to impose thier religious beliefs onto others and if you dont believe them they try to remove you.

You dont belive in Alah you are an infidel and need to be destroyed. Yeah thats a religion I want to follow huh? lol

Dont forget those nut cases that are just plain NUTZ and think the end of the world is coming.

militarysteel

i bet it would smell just like bacon, i was looking at some bio fuel websites they throw around terminology that gets me lost, like Titration and so on, maybe this is where mangus needs to step in and educate, it would be nice to know the easiest way to gather your animal fat and easily add something to make it stay a liquid by adding WVO or Lye or what ever it takes to make some fuel for your Multifuel, a easy to remember basic way to get use out of this bio fuel, Wont have time for college when SHTF,
would be a reason to store all your fat in a drum, Chicken, pork, beef etc. If you became the local butcher you would have much fat at your disposal,

panshark

here's another thought for the think-tank: garbage dumps. The vast majority of what Consumer America buys goes quickly to the dump--clothes, food containers, furniture (anyone ever imagined an antique particle board piece of furniture?) etc.

In my town, there's a spot for dumping waste oil at the dump. And for heaven's sake, there's also a bin right beside it for dumping anti-freeze. Eventually if many commodities become scarce, the populace will turn to their refuse to scavenge/recycle. I think I would like to get my treasure out of there before desperate people ruin it.

Although there'd still be a TON of doubt about what you really have, that's why we filter, heat, spin, etc. before we use it. Good thing about WMO is...we willingly share, and share alike! (Don't have to worry about someone shooting you for a barrel of black goo that won't work on their car.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks