• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scavenging Fuel - Can a Deuce Do It?

Being from South Louisiana, I've learned a little about how they did it "way back when" from my grandparents. Still a fair amount of the old Cajun ways of doing things are still around.

However, like Wreckerman I like having reading resources to fall back on. A while back I acquired most of the "Foxfire" series of books, but I need to complete the set. The people of Appalachia pretty much set the standard for survival in my book, so I really like reading about the way they got things done.

Anyone here know of other good resources for reference?

LC

I try to have a little bit of everything....including a big reference library.

At one time (many years ago) I was a member of a local survival group....one time when it was my turn to host a meeting one guy was looking through my books on butchering.

He was somewhat surprised (aghast, horrified, repulsed) to find out I had one that showed how to field dress a human.

I don't think he ever came to another meeting at my place.

A

A/C Cages

Nothing wrong with being prepared in life, or there wont be a life !

sail-bum

To answer the fuel station question, here is the info. Fuel tanks fill ports are open tubes under the caps and of around a 4" diameter, they have an overfill protection system consisting of a type of flapper valve. All UST, underground storage tanks, have vents also. You will see a 2-3" diameter pipe sticking 8 feet or so in the air for each tank, usually with in 15 feet or so of the tank. If you knock a pump over or run into it, you will trigger the mechanical safety cutoff. The safety cut off is mounted to the tube that comes up through the center of the mount near ground level. The safety is easy to rest with your hand and is very obvious on how to operate. So yes, you can get fuel from underground tanks easily.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is one thing the deuce has over newer vehicles.......EMP will not affect it.

EMP will not affect batteries or alternators....just electronic ignitions.

Most vehicles with the older points and distributor ignitions systems will not be affected either.

EMP will disrupt or destroy any sensitive electronic devices not protected by a Faraday Cage or otherwise shielded from it.

Very strong EMP can disrupt the electrical grid. During the H-bomb tests in the Pacific EMP caused power outages in Hawaii.

The premise of the book is not far fetched at all.

A big EMP event could cause major problems that would lead to FUBAR in short order.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That is one thing the deuce has over newer vehicles.......EMP will not affect it.
Most vehicles with the older points and distributor ignitions systems will not be affected either.QUOTE]

This is where I get confused...sorta.:roll:

If a vehicle is not operational (running) when an EMP hits...will it still be effected?? I think not...but...:lost:

militarysteel

running or not, EMP does not care. cellphones, computers, cell towers, internet
hybrids, chevy volt,

if your not old school, Carb / points / coil or Purely mechanical fuel delivery, like the M35A2 not 100% sure one the M35A3
your down.

emp's are kind of nasty,
-------------------------------------------------------------------
EMP will disrupt or destroy any sensitive electronic devices not protected by a Faraday Cage or otherwise shielded from it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
do you have any insite on gamma radiation?

Most vehicles with the older points and distributor ignitions systems will not be affected either.

Very strong EMP can disrupt the electrical grid. During the H-bomb tests in the Pacific EMP caused power outages in Hawaii.

The premise of the book is not far fetched at all.

A big EMP event could cause major problems that would lead to FUBAR in short order.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Any unshielded electronic system can be fried by EMP...even if they are not in operation.

It is the initial burst of powerful electromagnetic energy that does the damage.

Cell phones, radios, hard line telephone systems, electic power grides, wind generators, solar power systems, satellites and many other systems would be fried.

One very large hydrogen bomb detonated high in the atmosphere above the US would create havoc with just about every system we have.

Any motor vehicle that has a computer in it would be non-mission capable unless it had been in a protected environment when the blast went off.

There might be limited protection in tunnels, mines or anywhere the EMP could not penetrate.

Any modern aircraft in the air at the time of the blast would be screwed....especially if they were fly by wire or had computer controlled guidance and flight systems, not to mention loss of radar and Air Traffic Control.

The banking system would be destroyed and all the money out in cyberspace would cease to exist.

No one would be able to get any money from any bank. Wouldn't take long for TSHTF.

The good news is that there would be plenty of fuel because 95 percent of the vehicles on the road would not be able to run.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
All nuclear weapons are capable of emitting EMPs.....the bigger the bang the bigger the EMP.

Hydrogen bombs are bigger than Atomic bombs and were designed to destroy major cities or other stratigic targets (such as fields of missile silos) they are usually measured in megatons...one megaton equals one million tons of TNT.

Atomic bombs (used against Japan) are usually measured in kilotons....kiloton equals one thousand ton of TNT. Tactical nukes are usually smaller for ease of use and delivery and are not hydrogen. They will take out a small city or are used against masses of troops and vehicles.

Hydrogen bombs put out the most intensive EMPs.

The most likely source of an EMP attack against the US would be Russia or China since (as far as I know) they are the only other countries besides us with hydrogen bombs.

The lower the altitude of the detonation the less effective the EMP due to the curvature of the earth.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You may be thinking of the Neutron Bomb: As per wikipedia....

A neutron bomb, or enhanced radiation weapon (ERW), is a type of nuclear weapon designed specifically to release a large portion of its energy as energetic neutron radiation rather than explosive energy. An ERW explosion is typically about one-tenth as powerful as that of a comparable fission-type atomic bomb because standard thermonuclear weapons create increased explosive yield by capturing their neutron radiation.[1] Although their extreme blast and heat effects are not eliminated, the increased radiation released by ERWs is meant to be a major source of casualties, able to penetrate buildings and armored vehicles to kill personnel that would otherwise be protected from the explosion.