• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selfridge Deuces

goldwing2000

Banned
Both Deuces home safe. HUGE thanks to preacherboy for the jumpstart and to his Soldier B for selling me some fuel! Turns out 5628 wasn't running because the fuel pump fuse was blown. Since 5646 was running (but has absolutely NO brakes), I pulled the fuse from it while it was running, installed it in 5628, opened the primary filter drain, let it prime for a few minutes and it fired right up! It obviously hadn't been run for a very long time, as it blew a couple GALLONS of water out of the exhaust pipe.
The drive home was uneventful but I broke the driver's side mirror on 5646 when I got here. aua Oh well...

Attachments

Preacherboy

Soldier B is Doug...it was his truck that I "purchased" for him and helped him recover. Goldwing, glad to hear that you figured out the problem and were able to get it started. Your driver seemed like a super nice guy, in my opinion I'd recommend him to people.

5643 started after about 10 seconds holding the start button, it is an excellent truck...especially for the $1800 price tag. Appears to have a brand new bed on it...most of the tires have a 2004 date code! Tag on engine didn't have a date on it though...might not have been a rebuild...might be pretty new or something. Steering box also appears to be new...very nice truck!

goldwing2000

Banned
Excellent! Glad you got a decent truck! I believe that Doug had expressed some interest in a set of troop seats/cargo racks. Please let him know that I might be interested in selling some!
Brian (my driver) was definitely a great guy. He came highly recommended by TedG, so I knew I couldn't go wrong.

I would have been screwed if I hadn"t been able to get 5628 started. I'm really glad all it took was my Leatherman and 5 gals of fuel to get it going!

hcso1988

Well my original trucker has backed out. Awesome. Goldwing, I tried the guy you recommended/used and he doesn't know if he can make it there any sooner than Wednesday of next week. Does GL offer extensions on pickup time? I'm in a bit of a pickle now :| Anyone know any other good or even halfway decent trucking companies? I've been searching but so far nothing good has come up.

maxxplanck

Wow, what a day that was. If only It could have stoped raining for a few minutes. Everything worked out great, With a jump the truck runs great, needs new batteries. All most all the tires were very low, but there were some new tires on it. The only goodies were couple of jerry can mounts and a ladder in the back. Also rifle racks in the cab and radio mounts on the side on the truck . Over all the truck is good condition, the cab needs some TLC but the frame looks brand new. The box on the back comes off but not sure what Im going to do yet. Driving it home was ok, made it home in good time. 45-55 mph was average and the rain slowed down on the way home. When I got home it looked like it never rained. It was raining so hard at selfridge I didn't take any pics.

Attachments

harleyrkc

Nice trucks guys. Sorry to hear about the rain but at least all went well. I saw troop seats mentioned above. If anyone is looking to sell a set, I'm looking for some. I've got a close friend of mine that wants to buy a truck off me and wants the seats.

goldwing2000

Banned
Well my original trucker has backed out. Awesome. Goldwing, I tried the guy you recommended/used and he doesn't know if he can make it there any sooner than Wednesday of next week. Does GL offer extensions on pickup time? I'm in a bit of a pickle now :| Anyone know any other good or even halfway decent trucking companies? I've been searching but so far nothing good has come up.
I actually talked to him about that yesterday. He suggested that if you can find (or pay) somebody close by to get it off base for you and store it for a couple days, it might alleviate the time crunch. I would offer to do it but I'm 100 miles from the base. Alternately, you can try Kangaroos transport, mentioned earlier in this thread. When is your 10th business day deadline?

maxxplanck

Hcso1988, if theres anything I could do to help let me know. Im in the same boat as goldwing2000 Im also 90 miles from the base. I also returned the tow bar last night, the guy I borrowed it from needed it back. Call me if you need anything that I can help with. When is your 10 days up ?

hcso1988

Well my EUC cleared on Tuesday of last week, so I would assume one week from today would be 10 business days. I called Tom to see if I could do some kind of extension but I didn't have my invoice number handy and my phone was being to slow. He has to go do a load out anyways. He said he would call me back and we will try and work something out. I'll try that other company. If I can find someone to get it off base, anyone want to play storage unit :razz:

goldwing2000

Banned
What was your lot number? Do you know if it runs? Keep in mind that even if you find another transport company, you'll probably still need to have somebody on site to get it running and onto a truck unless you find a trucker that has a drop-deck tranport with a winch.

indy4x4fab

Banned
If I had the m818 up and fully operation-able and the time to go run up and get it with u, I would take you up to get it. But my boys still sitting in pieces and I still owe preacherboy a bit more on it.

Last edited:

Preacherboy

Well my EUC cleared on Tuesday of last week, so I would assume one week from today would be 10 business days. I called Tom to see if I could do some kind of extension but I didn't have my invoice number handy and my phone was being to slow. He has to go do a load out anyways. He said he would call me back and we will try and work something out. I'll try that other company. If I can find someone to get it off base, anyone want to play storage unit :razz:
I would do the recovery for you, but my wife is very burnt out on me doing recoveries. I've only gone on 4 this year...but anyway (10 over the last 2.5 years). Wish I would have known about it yesterday when I was down there because I could have dragged the truck off base for you since the other one I was there to get drove home fine. You can contact some other guys who might be able to do it for you, you should offer them some cash and fuel money. PM 13 Mike, cjtroutt, islandguydon...maybe you'll get some help. Like I say, I would do it Monday (my day off), but wife scheduled pictures for my son who is turning 3 and she wouldn't be happy about it, so I won't even ask!

Goldwing, not sure why Doug was interested in troops seats as his had them in the back of his truck, maybe he was interested in a cargo cover...I'm in the market for troop seats though. I found some that fit a m1008, but I want them for my deuce. I have the side racks, but not the actual seat part (brackets). I have bales of hay that people ride on!

13 MIKE

I don't have any time to do a recovery, but you can sure drop your truck off here. I have plenty of room with no time limit.

I am an hour west of Selfridge.

hcso1988

I appreciate all the assistance fellas. I think Maxxplanck and I have come up with a battle plan. He is going to be near by on friday and we are going to try and limp it to a storage facility near by. If we can get things running enough to get it home I'll drive it, but Brian (I think that was his name) the guy goldwing used said he could do it later next week. So if we cant seem to get it road worthy in enough time I'll just leave it at the storage lot and let him come get it. Again, thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you all posted on the situation :beer:

harleyrkc

I appreciate all the assistance fellas. I think Maxxplanck and I have come up with a battle plan. He is going to be near by on friday and we are going to try and limp it to a storage facility near by. If we can get things running enough to get it home I'll drive it, but Brian (I think that was his name) the guy goldwing used said he could do it later next week. So if we cant seem to get it road worthy in enough time I'll just leave it at the storage lot and let him come get it. Again, thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you all posted on the situation :beer:
I wish I could help this week but we've got work. Keep us posted though, if you make it into the storage facility you stand a chance of getting running to drive home.

DarkHumor

Recovered 5627 Yesterday. All it needed was a jump start. Brakes, lights and all fluids checked good so drove it home. Ran perfect the whole way home. Insured, registered and tagged it today. Could not have gone any better.

Special thanks goes to maxxplanck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks