• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I install a gear vendors overdrive

If you put tires that big on there, you won't need OD. I would upgrade the brakes as others have suggested. Please understand that some people on here love giving the new guys a hard time and they really like to put in their two cents on any topic that is speed related. Hopefully you have thick skin and can take the negativity with a grain of salt. Their advice is good most of the time, but the delivery could us a little work.

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Hottrodd789

You could also get more speed...from red barn customs. They make a 4.90 gear set that you could put in but are pricy at 1200 a set.... lose acc but great top end I would think

Ouverson also sells a 4.90 gear if you want to go that route. I'd probably get the tires on there first and see how well she does before you do anything else. If you still need more speed, the OD will cost you less and probably perform better than changing the axle gears. Of course, the brakes should be addressed.

Sorry Mudguppy I wasn't really asking a question. I was trying to say that there are a handful of guys that have made their trucks capable and safe for 70mph+, you just happen to be the one I know of, and it would be beneficial if you guys would inform everyone of what is required to actually do it. Every time this question comes up there are a ton of people more than willing to say "It's a Deuce enjoy it for what it is" but not everyone likes cruising at 45-50mph. It would be nice to have the guys that have done it let us all know what it actually take and costs.

mudguppy

no worries - i just wasn't sure what you are looking for.

the answer is "it depends". i wanted tire size for capability; that lead to lift and lockers. which lead to hydro steer. MF just sux at power, so that lead to Cummins. power to go fast but whoa slow lead to disc brakes.

if you don't want tires, or power steering, reliability, power, or etc., then you don't need to upgrade anything. if you're unhappy with a particular performance characteristic (as i was), then find a solution to resolve it. like you said; happy with 45-50 mph? cool. i'm not. it's a hazard on the highway; so i changed it.

i don't remember how much i have invested, but i feel i have a good end product, and i'm happy with that. i also feel that the truck meets and exceeds in all areas of improvement that i was going after. i feel that there are enough serious upgrade threads on here that can help provide solutions to any of these 'areas of opportunity.'

it isn't done, though. i feel the need to improve the suspension for ride and off-road performance. and as that gets me farther, axle shafts and driveline enhancements will likely be next. so if there isn't a good thread showing an actual engineered multi-link suspension by the time i'm ready to upgrade, then i'll start it. promise.

I don't remember if it was C&C Equipment or Boyce Equipment that built a 5 link front and 4 link air suspension for the M35. It's in one of the crew cab build threads. I don't know if they offer it as a kit but it's something to look into. Maybe at the least they'd be willing to share some insight on building the system for yourself.

mudguppy

yeah, it was this truck i had in mind when i consciously chose the word "engineered" in my previous statement. it was built by C&C and a member here now owns it. it is discussed on one of the air suspension threads a good ways in. from what the current owner is describing, it's dangerous.

chigger

I don't remember if it was C&C Equipment or Boyce Equipment that built a 5 link front and 4 link air suspension for the M35. It's in one of the crew cab build threads. I don't know if they offer it as a kit but it's something to look into. Maybe at the least they'd be willing to share some insight on building the system for yourself.
I've seen the pictures of the air suspension from the quad cab build. I copied the pictures and studied them long ago. I wouldn't call it "engineered". That front suspension will begin bind as soon as it articulates which will lead to premature failure of the joints, control rods, or brackets. I'd hate to be in that thing when the front axle lets go. Many cars with straight axle rear ends are built that way. They get away with it by having joints with large rubber bushings that "give" when the axle articulates. They also combine the fact that the suspension travel in the car is very limited. Many jeeps are built that way too and it becomes a problem when you try to modify it. The joints they used appear to be Ballistic Fab. I could tell that they don't have the soft bushings since they are fitted with a grease fitting. The good is that they are rebuildable, however my SWAG is that they would need rebuilding approximately every 5K miles assuming that something doesn't break first.

I actually engineered my suspension. I created a program that calculates the geometry through the entire suspension travel. I also calculated the strength of the materials. The brackets are bolted and not welded to the frame to prevent cracks forming in the frame. The axle brackets actually wrap around the axle to prevent failures. My suspension actually can travel 20 inches vertically and 25 inches of articulation with zero bind.

Ford Mechanic

I've seen the pictures of the air suspension from the quad cab build. I copied the pictures and studied them long ago. I wouldn't call it "engineered". That front suspension will begin bind as soon as it articulates which will lead to premature failure of the joints, control rods, or brackets. I'd hate to be in that thing when the front axle lets go. Many cars with straight axle rear ends are built that way. They get away with it by having joints with large rubber bushings that "give" when the axle articulates. They also combine the fact that the suspension travel in the car is very limited. Many jeeps are built that way too and it becomes a problem when you try to modify it. The joints they used appear to be Ballistic Fab. I could tell that they don't have the soft bushings since they are fitted with a grease fitting. The good is that they are rebuildable, however my SWAG is that they would need rebuilding approximately every 5K miles assuming that something doesn't break first.

I actually engineered my suspension. I created a program that calculates the geometry through the entire suspension travel. I also calculated the strength of the materials. The brackets are bolted and not welded to the frame to prevent cracks forming in the frame. The axle brackets actually wrap around the axle to prevent failures. My suspension actually can travel 20 inches vertically and 25 inches of articulation with zero bind.
nopics We want to see!!!

Is it just the front suspension that is built incorrectly on the C&C truck? What is it about the suspension that makes the truck dangerous? Has anyone built a safe suspension system for the Deuce? Mudguppy I'm having a problem finding the air suspension thread is there a certain key word you used to search for it? Sorry for the questions but I'm not very familiar with suspension once we get away from IFS and leaf springs.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

blah-blah-blah
Your attitude sucks. If you want to talk tech, let's do that. But don't come in here pounding your chest like an *******.

Agree with some of the criticisms you've made of that C&C truck. Posted some questions/concerns in the build-thread, then deleted most of those posts after talking to Clint about that project. He seemed to understand the compromises he was making and was comfortable with them, given the intended use (street truck). I'm a 'better is better' kind of guy, and that's not the way I would have designed/built it, but am not interested in arguing with people about what's 'good enough'. At least he was making informed decisions. That's a lot more than I can say for so many of the people we see building stuff, who truly have no clue what they're doing. Instead of picking apart someone elses' project, let's see what you have built. That's not a challenge. Sounds neat. Start a thread and post a link.

jesusgatos

Oh, and to the original poster: I've learned never to say 'no' when a client asks me if something is possible. Instead, I try to tell them what it might take to make it happen. Anything. Fly me to the moon. And 70mph in a Deuce is not that big of a deal really, even on 53" tires. It's going to take a lot of time and money, but it's well within the realm of possibility. Is it advisable? Geez, who are we to tell anyone else what's worth doing? I've put a ton of work into turning my M109 into something that it was never meant to be and I don't feel compelled to explain/defend/justify it to anyone else. We don't know anything about your intentions, ability, budget, etc. If you want to get good advise, you have to ask better questions. And do some of your own homework. Like others have pointed out, this all been discussed before. Over. And over. And over.

Chigger don't get pissy.The reality is no one suggested purchasing that system and to my knowledge it isn't available for purchase. It was only brought up because Mudguppy said something about designing a suspension system for his truck. I agree there tends to be a significant amount of negativity on this site concerning certain modifications and the limitations of these trucks. But you take it to a whole new level when you respond like a petulant child. Honestly if you're going to pout and be a b**** then don't post so you're precious feelings don't get hurt.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

I'd love to see the fuel tank inside the frame rails. I have been wanting to do that mod on my truck(under bed, over chassis frame) for a few years now. Its too expensive to have one made though.
Maybe consider something like using a bunch of air-tanks, all plumbed together. Have been collecting them for my motorhome project for a while and think I've got 8-10 of them now. They fit nicely inside the framerails and you could put a whole bunch of them under the bed in between crossmembers. Not the most efficient use of space, but not too bad either and they're cheap/free. Going to use air pressure instead of electric fuel pumps to transfer fluids in mine, but there are all kinds of options. Just an idea...

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep this thread on track or it goes away. No need for childish input.

chigger

Just for reference, I was able to fit 4 stock air tanks side-by-side between the frame rails. I did this by cutting & welding up 2 pairs of air tank brackets.

quickfarms

he was going to make a 4X4, long bed, droping a axle

BLOWING a STEER tire at 60 MPH is a REAL pucker factor and your in the hands of GOD, trust me, my SIG. tells it all, THANK GOD no one was hurt, It could have been a LOT different

Remember speed KILLS and with a MV the number can be a LOT higher then one real EASY
Blowing a steer tire interesting but not the end of the world. Just remember to hold onto the wheel and keep your foot from mashing the brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks