• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show me your Bobbed M923

350TacoZilla

man I in no way want to say your wrong since you built the truck and I have only seen pics of it, but to me this looks like the trailer frame under the bed on top of the 5 ton frame, even looks like still has the bolt holes from stock trailer suspension.army trucks 002.jpg

KillDevilHill

I'm caught between the 809 series which I think kinda look better, until I've seen a few 939's bobbed. The 939's are more common on gl right now, so that's a plus, as is the 8.3 in the a2's for me anyway, but I'd prefer a stick shift...they never made the 8.3 in a manual in these trucks did they?

Anyone got pics of a 939 bobbed on 16.00x20's? Thanks.

350TacoZilla

actually the photo chop i posted with the stacks has 16.00's on it. and no the 800's had manuals but never came with 8.3 and 939s came with allison autos only and only A2 trucks got the 8.3.

so if you want 8.3 it will have to be 939 series A2 but if you want manual it will have to be a 800 series unless you either swap the motor or trans from civvy trucks in.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
You are right,I left the trailer sub frame under that truck to make the bed lines match up.My memory is getting bad.

350TacoZilla

You are right,I left the trailer sub frame under that truck to make the bed lines match up.My memory is getting bad.
well like I said before it makes it look 100% better than the bed just sitting on frame, your sons truck is looking good also I like the wheelbase it has.

KillDevilHill

actually the photo chop i posted with the stacks has 16.00's on it. and no the 800's had manuals but never came with 8.3 and 939s came with allison autos only and only A2 trucks got the 8.3.

so if you want 8.3 it will have to be 939 series A2 but if you want manual it will have to be a 800 series unless you either swap the motor or trans from civvy trucks in.
Thanks man, yeah after tons of research thats what the same conclusion i came too. Im thinking the 939a2`s might be worth getting my cdl in this state. Apparently the allisons are pretty bullet proof from what ive read. Theres some advantages to the stick shifts...namely that if they run out of fluid they can keep driving, at least for a while, while autos once they loose fluid, loose pressure and therefor stop moving. Plus, provided you can get it moving, you can jump start the stick shift by popping the clutch...but, getting 20k lbs rolling might not always be so easy. Im thinking for like domsday stuff, or even really just messing around deep in the woods, if a trans cooler line or the pan for that matter gets cut, or a hole in it, youd be done going anywhere. I dont even know if they have trans coolers at all though, still doing research. Im not opposed to the automatics, seen a few a2 s go for 2500-3500 this week on gl. Thanks for the info.

mattwspeed

Keep in mind the CDL is all how you regester the truck with the DMV... if you are just gonna drive the truck and never pull anything then you can lable it is an RV and wont need CDL's... but if you pull something or its in a bussiness name then Welcome to a two week course and CDL's.... I have a 5ton bobber project under way right now and its registered as a recreational vehicle... just my 2 cents!

brucew44guns

View attachment 402089Here are some pics of my XM923 A4. Modeled after an FWD HAR 1 there were about 7000 issued during WWII as a 4 Ton truck. 12 foot deuce bed, removed spare tire and davit and crooked muffler. Best driving shorty of the 6 I have done. Expect to drive it to Alaska June 2013 with my M109 body on it.View attachment 402088
Excellent looking machine, good luck on trip to Alaska.

350TacoZilla

the mpg is something I have been wondering, just got my springs and hangers today to do swap (thanks John!) I'm guessing the gain would be a good 2-3 mpg considering you are losing the drag of the axle along with weight of the axle,part of the frame,4 tires (in my case since its duals) and the weight of 5' of the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks