• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show me your Bobbed M923

350TacoZilla

lol Yeah I'm not looking for 20mpg while pulling a camper or anything lol just saying it should pick up few mpg after lopping off all that weight and driveline mass

brucew44guns

lol Yeah I'm not looking for 20mpg while pulling a camper or anything lol just saying it should pick up few mpg after lopping off all that weight and driveline mass
I hope you're right about the mileage, but my gut says a 250 Cummins is going to burn about the same fuel bobbed as with 3 axles. I hope I'm wrong, saving fuel would be nice.

Brianmontesa

new truck add 068.jpgnew truck add 066.jpgWell, that's my 85. Looks good, but after seeing the tan truck with a flatbed I know there are better ones out there. Added about 16" to the drive line, so not quite as short as some.

Last edited:

350TacoZilla

I think your selling yourself short there, thats a nice looking truck. I went smaller keeping the stock wheelbase for 923, not going to have bed hanging over frame and sliding bed forward on frame so its a 9'6" bed. I will get pics up soon I hope with bed on truck, also with 16.00's mounted up soon.

Attachments

Brianmontesa

Thanks, a lot of the build was my design, but my friend did most of the work. new truck add 070.jpgLooks like you got your springs on already. Over here on the west coast all this stuff is harder to get, so we put commercial truck springs on the back. Bolts to the outside of the frame for stability, rated at 5 tons and much cheaper. Something to consider. What we need is some turbo kits!!!

350TacoZilla

yeah mine are 5 ton fronts bolted to outside of frame rail and underside of rail, the 2.5 ton springs would be under the frame directly and be a bit easier to use but weight carrying and stability would suffer like you say. I had thought about air ride but when I'm out in middle of nowhere with this thing i would rather it be stone simple suspension like leaf all around. I agree on turbos it seems a SS member came up with one that uses your stock manifold but he hasn't piped up with all info yet.

Brianmontesa

I think we had trouble with the five ton leaf pack hitting things so we went a different route. I know the turbo is easy to get. its the plumbing thats a challenge.

Craig A Tull

Taco, what kind of bed are you using? (edit OK now I see, it is the 923 bed shortened, cool but don't think I can cut that strait LOL)
Also guys I see allot of really nice rigs GREAT job folks, I have some questions about the springs/mounts needed to bob a 923A2 I have a couple scrapper M35A2s can any of those components be used?
Thanks

Last edited:

Brianmontesa

new CL add 009.jpgnew CL add 020.jpgnew CL add 031.jpgYou can use deuce springs, but they won't be very rigid. Also they will mount directly under the frame rails. Would hit the trucking scrapyard and get some outboard springs. Mine were cheep and they are rated for five tons. Just had to get some u-bolts and drill the frame. All personal preference of course.

Fuel? I would say around 6mpg. I cut everything off that doesn't make the truck go. The intake was a good one. Not using mine as a submarine so don't need 12' of snorkel.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all look great and I never met a machine I did not like. Now if you want my $.02 then the truck in post #9 has a better wheel base look to the over all size of the truck.

Craig A Tull

Looking at some pictures it looks like the deuce has a straight steering shaft and the 923 has a flexible coupling with a much different steering wheel angle, looks like allot more room for my fat butt, did all A2s come with CTIS? the one I am looking at does not seem to have it..

FP1201

Most likely this has been posed before, but why aren't more of the M931 Road Tractors being "bobbed"?
Seems to me you've already got the shortened frame and drive line making it an easier project for the less equipped/inclined.

Craig A Tull

Well that may be, but down here they sell for more than the 923s given they can actually be used for something, besides I prefer the look of the bobbed drop side beds to the m105 type, also distance has some consideration to it, they are selling a bunch of all types in Louisiana but they seem to be all rust buckets, AZ and CA seem to have the nicest but the transportation costs are too high.....

350TacoZilla

The only problem with using the 931 is the extra short wheelbase from the front axle to the mid axle make it so most guys have to make a extended drive shaft/air lines and you also have to source a new bed, with my 923 I kept the mid axle in its stock place allowing for the stock driveshaft and most of the stock air lines to be retained along with just cutting down the stock bed I already had.

craig-- believe it or not I cut the bed by measuring it with a tape measure and snapping a chalk line across it, I stood in the bed and cut the floor using a sawzall then used skid steer to support it and cut the "frame" of the bed from underneath. I also didnt shorten the bed from the middle since that seemed like alot of precision work but rather cut all the length off the front and then re-attached the front header panel to the new shorter bed.

Craig A Tull

OK 350Tacozilla thanks for the tip do you have any photos of the chop job?, I have been looking around here and I have several scrap 2 1/2-3 ton (F600-700) trucks so I think getting some outboard springs as suggested by Brianmontesa will not be an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks