• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

tobyS

My own frame with a M105 bed. Dexter axle with electric brakes and hummer wheels.

Dump bed when I get the hydraulics. Under construction

Attachments

Last edited:

Landbarger

I'm actually not 100% sure what my trailer was supposed to be, and any help on it would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure it's on an M116A3 chassis, but the boxes are unusual. I haven't gotten much information searching data plate info, either. Anyone happen to have seen one of these in service?

482944_6262_160_0001.jpg482944_6262_233_0001.jpg482944_6582_0_0003.jpg482944_6582_274_0001.jpg

It came with two bows and four short legs, but no visible holes for them to fit into or cover. There used to be some device (reels?) mounted behind each fender and they looked to be grounded to the bed. Came with either its original delivery tag or a remfg tag with an 08/2012 date. From the condition of the paint I'm guessing it was original.

As an aside, the front two boxes with doors that swing out have the most rinky-dink little latches. Odd thing to find on an otherwise over-built trailer...

Landbarger

Thanks Csm Davis,

From the data plate imagery I figured it wasn't an antenna trailer but a cable/networking type deal. Looking at some antenna trailers though, you may be right. I was really hoping someone might have an image of one in service with the rest of the equipment attached. Maybe these were limited in implementation, though.

SteveKuhn

"...My own frame with a M105 bed. Dexter axle with electric brakes and hummer wheels...TobyS"

I'd be interested in the specifics and measurements of the Dexter axle assembly. I'm thinking of replacing the ones on my 103s.

Steve

tobyS

I'm new to the forum. I just grabbed this M1061 trailer and got done modifying it to pull behind my pickup. Added lights, electric over hydraulic brakes, and changed it out to a ball hitch.

View attachment 575030View attachment 575031

Welcome from Indiana. Nice job on the hitch change. What electric over hydraulic unit did you use?

When you cut off the ring, is that a flat plate it is mounted to or does the hitch ring have a tang that extends into the weldment? I have one to change, maybe make a telescope to get longer by going under what is there (height of your hitch). Do you happen to have a picture with the tongue being changed/removed?

Accurate

I used the titan electric over hydraulic unit for drum brakes.

The pintle was just welded around the perimeter to a thick flat plate, so it was a nice flat surface to weld the adjustable hitch couple on. I cut a chunk of 3x3x.25wall square tube with a 45 cut on both ends and welded it on to support the section of the hitch than hangs down. I do have pictures of the hitch cut off. It came off surprisingly easy, i barely even had to cut the welds along the bottom because after i cut the top and sides off and hit it with a mini sledge the bottom welds just cracked off.

heres a link to a pic..

There's a few more in the "library" there also of the hitch. I haven't taken any of the electric over hydraulic unit or the mount i made for it.

Welcome from Indiana. Nice job on the hitch change. What electric over hydraulic unit did you use?

When you cut off the ring, is that a flat plate it is mounted to or does the hitch ring have a tang that extends into the weldment? I have one to change, maybe make a telescope to get longer by going under what is there (height of your hitch). Do you happen to have a picture with the tongue being changed/removed?

Last edited:

Accurate

Yes, it is a flat plate behind it. I tried to cut into the pintle as much as possible to avoid cutting into the flat plate. Here's a pic before I ground it all flat.

I also added some 3x3 sq tube behind the lower part of the hitch to help tie it back in.

It really wasnt as hard as I though it would be. I don't have any pictures at the moment of the electric over hydro unit or the mount I made for it. I used the Titan one for drum brakes.

ckwatson

'm back with good news for those w/M101A1 trailers.

Use Timken parts! They have the bearings & Seals:
Bearing-Wheel, large: Timken 28682
Bearing-Wheel, small: Timken 2984
Seal, Inner Hub Oil: Timken 417485 (equivalent to C-R28116)

Once it's back on its "feet" I'll post pictures.

Chris Watson

WECSOG

My two... The Tan is a M101A2 and the Green is a M101A3 on a M116A3 frame. The Tan came from Barstow Ca. and the Green from Ogden Ut. The Tan has seen some use, but the Green was new after refurb!!!

.468213_6262_159_0001.jpg20150624_085111.jpg

M35A2 KAISER

My new to me 2006 Raytheon m1101. After reading some info tm says the short bow goes in the front. All 4 of mine are the same height, so the front of the cover looks to short. Can any tell me the height differnce or where to find the measurments?2015-08-20 18.28.50.jpg

Thank you. Yes I am new here. This is a great forum, I'm glad I found it. I just picked this M416 up last week. Overall it's in really decent shape. I just need to remove about 4 layers of old paint and knock off some minor rust. I just ordered the original paint, etc.

I ordered the Stencil kit for my M416. I want to put the original markings back on it. I notice in some old pictures that the serial/unit markings appear to be a subdued black coloring and in other pics they are a flat white. Does anyone know what the original stencil color would have been for it? Thank you so much

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on the time period. Flat Black is more recent, flat white is older. I'm not sure in which year the military switched over.

Someone on here will know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks