• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M915A1 Build Thread

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yee-ow. That IS a lot of rolling:

- You maybe got a bet going, or something?!
I know of several trips Wes has made to California just recently. He has definitely been keeping the roads hot! He stays legal, but there "ain't no moss" growing on him or his truck!

plasmacutter

hey Wes,
great seeing the new rig, i do miss the old 923 all the work you had done ,
next time your in NJ well go to the Italian restaurant again,
you should have your own TV show, i would watch it

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rotated steer tires. Swapped on 4 G177s on the rear drive axle with 4 new wheels. I hate powdercoat white so I sprayed em with M.E.K. and then spray painted em black with activator. The MEK makes spray paint stick well.

Swapped on an old HT3B turbo. Had a leakin cartridge seal too. Ordered a new HT4B. Showed up as an HT3B. So I called my local turbo place and ordered a new cartrige and impeller for my old HT4B. Swapped on a cartrige from an Borg Warner S4T and Marine 32cm exhaust housing. The cartrige is also used on the HC5A turbos. She should roll up pretty good on boost. HT4Bs run better at higher rpms like the big cam is running. The combination of parts should allow for 60lbs of boost or so as I have the fuel to run it that high. The transmission won't like it though. Least not the HT754 anyway.

Swapped over to a longer air filter. It was cheaper to run CAT inner and outer filters. CAT. # 246-5009. And 246-5010. Much cheaper than wix. Capable of 2200cfms of air.

Swapped all oil and fuel filters and changed the oil again. Swapped to Fleetguard Venturi type primary filters.

Swapped to a lower temp fan thermal sensor. 190 degree index # 8037022p

Also got a little muddy trying to get out of my yard so I ended up putting the sprinkler on in 50 degree weather and washing it off

Attachments

Last edited:

plasmacutter

the do it yourself car wash must love you ,
your quest for more power, 60lbs of boost?
i dont think big chiefs drag car the crow in Oklahoma makes that much.
you going to force more fuel to help keep it cool, bigger flow injectors or pump?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
the do it yourself car wash must love you ,
your quest for more power, 60lbs of boost?
i dont think big chiefs drag car the crow in Oklahoma makes that much.
you going to force more fuel to help keep it cool, bigger flow injectors or pump?
Injectors can handle it. Pump is already bumped up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Busy day.

Turbo swapped. Pulled 42lbs of boost on a test run just Bob tail. Swapped a few other hoses as well.

New air filter.

Swapped in a new steering shaft since mine had some play. Swapped in another steering column with a smaller steering wheel. Much more room.

Put a new puradyn filter housing on.

Replaced fuel filters. Got 20k out of the pump filter this time since I put a 20 micron in front of it. And my drivers side tank has a 10 micron filter that catches stuff when pumped to the primary tank.

Replaced my air lines from the tractor protection valve up to the trailer lines. Installed a new higher pogo stick and spring hanger. Secured the lines to a fixed position with shut off valves.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well she's been running like usual. She will be getting an upgraded hydraulic pump cause the single 20 is just too slow for as much as I use the winch

More gpm means more speed.

Hauled a friends 50k excavator. It didn't mind it too much except for a few steep places.

She is in the process of hauling some new siblings home. Two 920s and another 916 with the 7spd. All are 2012 rebuilds

Attachments

Last edited:

fiero11

Temporary 395s till i figure out what i am going to run. 395 XZLs on hemtt wheels or 445 65 22.5s on the front. Which are 1in shorter than the rear 11R24s.
What rims are you running on the truck in the photos? I am looking at replacing all the tires but I am looking at a new set of G177 on the back and the 395 MTVs on the front using 5 ton combat rims. I had hemtt rims on my M923a2 with 16.00s and it had a nice aggressive look and rode decent.

fiero11

Threw some belts on the alternator to see what it was doing and to test the new gauge. Looks like nothing much happening with it.

Installed a boost gauge in place of the original volt gauge spot.

Replaced the solenoid in the dash with a John Deere # RE170320 i had on the shelf for a while now and keep the old one as a spare.

Had to fix a leaking wheel O ring so i checked the brakes as well and they look fine. Did adjust all of them as well.

Measured for 2 of the beacon light plates going to add to also hold rear backup lights as well
I blew out a set of rear axle seals...do you remember the numbers? I might as well replace all of mine. The truck sat for years, but like yours fired straight up and drove over 500 miles just fine except for the rear seals going out and making a mess on the truck and Global trailer. As with all things old, just a little TLC and she'll be in great shape. I'm thinking of painting mine back to the original olive drab.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What rims are you running on the truck in the photos? I am looking at replacing all the tires but I am looking at a new set of G177 on the back and the 395 MTVs on the front using 5 ton combat rims. I had hemtt rims on my M923a2 with 16.00s and it had a nice aggressive look and rode decent.
Just LMTV combat wheels.

I assume you are planning on running 11.00-20 G177s from a 5 ton? You know they are only 43.5in tall and the 395s are 46.5" tall?

Plus tube tires ride like crap. Tims Tire in Harriman TN has recap 11R24.5 ot 12R24.5 in G177 for $200 a tire. Wheels are cheap enough for 24.5 tubelesss

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I blew out a set of rear axle seals...do you remember the numbers? I might as well replace all of mine. The truck sat for years, but like yours fired straight up and drove over 500 miles just fine except for the rear seals going out and making a mess on the truck and Global trailer. As with all things old, just a little TLC and she'll be in great shape. I'm thinking of painting mine back to the original olive drab.
Inner rear hub seal is # 47697

fiero11

Just LMTV combat wheels.

I assume you are planning on running 11.00-20 G177s from a 5 ton? You know they are only 43.5in tall and the 395s are 46.5" tall?

Plus tube tires ride like crap. Tims Tire in Harriman TN has recap 11R24.5 ot 12R24.5 in G177 for $200 a tire. Wheels are cheap enough for 24.5 tubelesss
Thanks for the info. I do go by Rockwood/Harriman when I go to Dandridge or Johnson City to visit friends and family. I have a guy with new G177 on the awful split rims, that I can get for $275 @. Not so cheap on the 395s that are new...more like $340 @. I would go with singles all around, but the rear duals would run the road smoother and carry more load. You seem to have put together a lot of combos, what do you recommend as the best cost effient and most useful set up. The truck has OK tread but the tires are old enough I do not trust them for cross country hauls. Too much tread and sidewall cracking. I have a buddy in Crossville that sells a number of military tires too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks