• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So Cal Deuce and Dogs 4th of july mountain run

area52

who ever is scouting this weekend, drop me a line with your phone# and time you are going. I live in Loma Linda now so I am free to tag along if you will have me. I don't have any of my MV's out here yet though.

deuceaid

Banned
who ever is scouting this weekend, drop me a line with your phone# and time you are going. I live in Loma Linda now so I am free to tag along if you will have me. I don't have any of my MV's out here yet though.

well Mr 52,, your welcome too! ( I have been pre scouting areas via gooogle earth) but putting wheels on the ground is a total different thing, and neccecssary...pretrips point out all the faults and hazzards....and bad planning on my part.as learned in the hemet ryan convoy pretrip..stay tuned

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
OK,, sounds like a party of 4 ,,, for the pretrip ride this weekend.... ZH A52 and another will meet up in Yucaipa... then we proceed into the mountains to scout a good location,,,, others are welcome to join.... Phil, Bill, Jim, John,Mat, Mike jr.... hope You guys could tag along... sorry for the late notice....

deuceaid

Banned
UPDATE... Area 52, Zombie hunter, DA, and another will be meeting in Yucaipa near 3rd st and Yucaipa blvd,,,,near "AutoZone" around 9:00 am... the land cruiser is out of service ( broken u joint) so it will be ................ a52`s jeep and my trashy 4runner..... ( Thanks Wade)...

sorry for the late notice,,, we will try to keep in mind a route for our 5 ton friends----ie fastnova.... you will get some kind of notification about the trail by late saturday 6-30... posted here.... or pm me Your contact info......

Well we just rolled in a few minutes ago from our scouting trip. It was a groovy little cruise up around parts of the mountains I've never seen before but can't wait to see again!
We looked at the helipad for the forrestry service, took a cruise through Big Bear City and looked at some of the trails around Big Bear for a good place to fit a few deuces and kept in mind clearances for a 5-ton. Most of the areas we covered looked a little tight, but nothing that couldn't be negociated in a 5-ton with a bit of wheel cranking.
We narrowed it down to a couple good scenic spots to watch either the fireworks show from Big Bear Lake or from the helipad, we'd be able to see several displays down in the IE. DA knows where they are, but I couldn't say exactly as I was pretty lost. Both of the spots we checked out had real pretty views and looked like we could park 3 or 4 deuces and a 5-ton without too much trouble. When DA gets home, I'm sure he'll provide the update and be able to coordinate the run as he knew where he was going and how to get back there.
Update from DA to follow shortly.
[thumbzup]

deuceaid

Banned
Update....... Its the Helipad/vista..... from the backside... ( its a longer run for us locals) ,, but we are still trying to make this a good convoy ( not too long or short) and invite new friends and have a great time........

I know from friends I trust that traffic in big bear is bad on the 4th..ie 4 miles in 1.5 hours... I tried to find a detour around that today... but as another friend said... it becomes an offroad parking lot up there on the 4th... so we will be watching the IE fireworks displays

I have never seen so many people on local trails as I did today... so parking is a premium.......( technicly you also need a FOREST ADVENTURE PASS) to ...hum hum park in the national forest....:cookoo:.....

Aside from that the convoy would be about 45 minutes/1 hour offroad one way,,, also the ON ROAD convoy would be about 1/2 to 1 hour from Mentone/Redlands to Angelus Oaks...

I am planning on being the lead MV on the trail, so the 5 tons (Nova) can judge tire placment.... after scouting today... I know a deuce can make it on the back trail to the heilipad..( with no problems).. with 1 tight corner..... but its not as tight as going up the front end ,, in which the deuce is a wedge ( but mat and I have done it several times),,

also the trail is clear of land/rock slides which we have gone around before.

I advise that drivers should feel comfortable driving on a trail with a 500 foot + drop off within 2 ft of there tires.... (on both sides at the same time in certain spots) we will be driving on ridge tops... also we will be exceeding 6000ft elevation for a short time, for those with heart and lung problems.

seeing as we have made 4pm departures before , this trip must have an earlier departure time to take into account the mv convoy and new longer route .

all comments and questions welcomed.....DA....... convoy departure areas TBD ( to be determined)

area52

My apologies for not making it on Sat. I got called out to work early (430)in the morning and was stuck at work all day. Maybe next time.

My apologies for not making it on Sat. I got called out to work early (430)in the morning and was stuck at work all day. Maybe next time.
We missed ya on Saturday! Wait till ya see how that little puppy's grown up! She did great on the ride home, even if bigger dogs don't like riding in a deuce! lol I hope work doesn't call you in on the 4th, as it's shaping up to be a really fun outing! The wife and I hope to see ya there!
:driver:

deuceaid

Banned
well the first convoy departure point should be at the corner of wabash and lugonia in mentone ( its the last big parking lot on hwy 138 ) there is a stater bros, mc donalds, and circle K for all your last minute supply needs ( except the adventure pass BS) that can be purchased at the famous greenspot market ( famous for beef jerky......well all kinds of jerky) greenspot road and 138/lugonia.....

..... after that the MV convoy will meet up with its civilian offroad passengers in Angelus Oaks,,,, the civian passengers will load onto the troop seats of the first deuce,,,, ( unknown if 5 ton has troop seats)... and proceed to the vista to cook dogs and watch fireworks....

..all civilian passengers will be asked to carpool so as not to crowd any parking lots we meet in ( limited mountain parking)

so far, its FastNova ( the 5 ton) and Our Deuce... there is still room for some m1009/m1008s, jeeps, and another deuce....

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No troop seats in mine, but I can strap in a few lawn chairs for a good shaking of the liver or I can throw some 14.00x20 tires in the back to double as seats.

deuceaid

Banned
No troop seats in mine, but I can strap in a few lawn chairs for a good shaking of the liver or I can throw some 14.00x20 tires in the back to double as seats.

well Fastnova can carry all the cooking gear, fuel, folding chairs , water coolers etc.. more room for the normal 12 or so people that ride with us ( in the m35) up the road.

deuceaid

Banned
departure times--------

This is not a normal drive to see fireworks...........we leave early because we have a long trail drive............so plan on making friends, playing games, talking, sharing stories etc to pass the time until the sun goes down and we can enjoy the celebration of our brave founding fathers efforts to provide a better land of opportunity for us All !!! ( I feel like a cheesy sports announcer)

normally we try to leave around 4 to 5 pm from the meeting point just past the ranger station on 138,,,,,, I estimate we need 2 more hours from that point plus 30 minutes from the mentone convoy area.. so a 1:30 to 2:00 pm departure from mentone will provide ample time to make loads/ convoys, and still see the trail by daylight going in ( we drive out on narrow mountain trails at night)... ground guides may be needed in certain areas.....

also please make sure all MV`s have working air horns ( these are used to warn civilian passengers of upcoming brush on the side of the mountain, they get hit by this all the time) and more importantly to warn smaller vehicle to get out of our way/ back up.

Also, from personal experience I know some Vets (friends) that dont go to fireworks shows because of PTSD... this is a good place to bring them on the 4th , since the sounds of the fireworks exploding are very faint if they reach us.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you have I'll take just bring some straps to tie down. I have a few that I can bring along.

deuceaid

Banned
ZH,,, we will keep an open seat for you,,,,, and also try to send You a transfer driver...

FN,, so far you are the only other confirmed mv on this convoy....

I have tried to plan for a good convoy,,,,, but I am also sending out an auxiliary scout on the 4th to see if morton is open,,,, if it is,,, we will still leave the primary convoy area, but alter the the secondary meet up point, and the final destination....

and this is for ZH ,, another convoy I spoke about

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6XcJIaQec&feature=related[/media]

and sadies favorite,,,,

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZS4Leai-68&feature=related[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks