• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So this just happened...

jdknech

Not yet, it is hard to get to the valves under the water and muck.

That is actually the first thing that crossed my mind when it got stuck.
I know it sucks getting in the water/mud/muck to get to the valve stems, but worth it if it saves you a tow bill.. its saved my butt a couple times..

ke5eua

I know it sucks getting in the water/mud/muck to get to the valve stems, but worth it if it saves you a tow bill.. its saved my butt a couple times..
Yeah I know. I'm going to get some bigger rope tomorrow and while I'm battling getting the old rope off I'll try to get to the stems.

It's moments like this when I miss ctis

jdknech

Yeah I know. I'm going to get some bigger rope tomorrow and while I'm battling getting the old rope off I'll try to get to the stems.

It's moments like this when I miss ctis
except this is when the CTIS would fail on you.. lol If I was closer I would come pull it out for you.. good luck with it!

MtnSnow

You need a wrecker or a 923 on super singles with a massive strap or recovery cable. As your your truck is sitting on its axles....in the vid you are spinning and Not going any deeper in the muck...

ke5eua

You need a wrecker or a 923 on super singles with a massive strap or recovery cable. As your your truck is sitting on its axles....in the vid you are spinning and Not going any deeper in the muck...
The vid I tried the rope in the duals rapped around a tree to try and pull myself out.

I tried to pm Tim but his box is full.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Unless you get some really big rope you are pi$$ing in the wind. You need some steel cable with hooks on both ends. Hook one hook into the hole in the rim and use the other one to choke up on your anchor. You need to have the truck in Low Range to keep the wheels from spinning too fast. You should have a slow steady pull. Your problem is probably compounded by the suction created by the gooey mud. See if you can download the Vehicle Recovery and Evacuation TM. It shows a lot of field expedient ways to recover a vehicle.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Low and reverse, isn't that a bad combo?
NO

After you get it out and you PULL all six drums and bearings to get the water out and repack the bearings you WILL learn why playing in the mud and water with a 5t is not the best idea on a nothing to do weekend.

Last edited:

ke5eua

I'm great full for all the replies.

I have about 6 mins of video of me cursing and falling and cursing some more. I decided not to post that one.

I'm glad the wife listened to me when I told her to back the 4 wheeler into a little area surrounded by trees. I was afraid of the rope breaking and I've seen first hand the end results.

ke5eua

I do need to refresh myself with the recovery tm.

I did h8 school back in 04 so it's been a while.

Plus you get a little lazy when you are stuck on a 88 or hemt wrecker.

Ahh, my 88, I miss her so much.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not use tow straps in place of rope/cable/chain to winch yourself out? "Horror-Freight" (Harbor Freight) has 10,000lb straps for cheap often and I can shoot you some 25% off coupons. Link them up and have at it.

If that doesn't work and you can't get someone to get in there then you may be SOL and have to wait for it to dry up some. I did the same thing with my M813 around Christmas rescuing three stranded 4x4s who got into it bad. At the end of the day I was the one stuck and it took a night of digging, improvised stick/wood ramps, and a tug from a CUCV to get out. Really all she needed was a little nudge.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116227-SS-Friends-are-the-BEST-there-are!&highlight=

If you need to get sooner than that you can put your nose to the grind stone and drain away the standing water, build those wood ramps, and then air down the NDTs to roll out in reverse.

If not I'll sleep in her till she is ready to.
If you can't get her out you shouldn't be afraid of someone else driving off in her. :razz:

ke5eua

Why not use tow straps in place of rope/cable/chain to winch yourself out? "Horror-Freight" (Harbor Freight) has 10,000lb straps for cheap often and I can shoot you some 25% off coupons. Link them up and have at it.

If that doesn't work and you can't get someone to get in there then you may be SOL and have to wait for it to dry up some. I did the same thing with my M813 around Christmas rescuing three stranded 4x4s who got into it bad. At the end of the day I was the one stuck and it took a night of digging, improvised stick/wood ramps, and a tug from a CUCV to get out. Really all she needed was a little nudge.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116227-SS-Friends-are-the-BEST-there-are!&highlight=

If you need to get sooner than that you can put your nose to the grind stone and drain away the standing water, build those wood ramps, and then air down the NDTs to roll out in reverse.

If you can't get her out you shouldn't be afraid of someone else driving off in her. :razz:
Thought about tow straps, problem is distance to a strong enough tree to anchor off

I had to wrap around three trees because that area doesn't have really big ones.

EmbarkChief

Yellow Nylon? You sure it wasn't polypropylene ? It's going to take some serious rope to break that suction. I would also recommend going much slower to reduce the shock load.