• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So this just happened...

rebelqwes87

Check that whole rubber boot with the zipper on it, it may have had a small tear before or you could have torn it in the process of trying to get out. Like mentioned before if it is torn at all it's probably full of mud and grit now.

ke5eua

Ok so got it 98% washed. Looked at the knuckle boot seals and the drivers side looks good but you can see cracking and a little slit that you could tell was a crack right beside the zipper.

Now I didn't see any fluid come out when I put the low pressure hose to the edge of the boot, just mud.

Now I think I may have made a boo boo. I took the two bolts off the cover and instead of taking the bottom bolts off I just pried it back a little to clean all the caked in mud out.

What I didn't realize is the bolt holes were not sealed inside the casing and I got water in them, a considerable amount, maybe 1/2 gallon total before I realized it wasn't coming back out.

So what am I looking at here, pull the plug on the diff and put new fluid or am I looking at having to pull the knuckles and re pack everything?

Artisan

Your TM probably has a section that tells you what to do BEFORE you
go FORDING Mud Bugs / rivers etc. Perhaps read that and realize
what you did not do and go from there. It is not just the axles probably.

If it were mine all axles would get serviced. You probably got mud
and yuck into the flywheel area. Remember the Axle breathers
were submerged so your diffs are probably full of it too. The TC
might be compromised too.

There may be a TM section to deal w/ floods, I would not doubt it
there pretty all inclusive.

Glad your home, live and learn, now do your PMCS from bumper to bumper
and gether good to go again.

or not, and runer till she drops! HA!

ke5eua

Your TM probably has a section that tells you what to do BEFORE you
go FORDING Mud Bugs / rivers etc. Perhaps read that and realize
what you did not do and go from there. It is not just the axles probably.

If it were mine all axles would get serviced. You probably got mud
and yuck into the flywheel area. Remember the Axle breathers
were submerged so your diffs are probably full of it too. The TC
might be compromised too.

There may be a TM section to deal w/ floods, I would not doubt it
there pretty all inclusive.

Glad your home, live and learn, now do your PMCS from bumper to bumper
and gether good to go again.

or not, and runer till she drops! HA!
I plan on dropping the fluids, and changing the fluids.

The good part is when I went back yesterday to get it out there wasn't any fuel, or oil standing on the water so that was a good sign at least.

Jeepsinker

Stick a water hose in the hole in the bottom and let it run on low for a few minutes, then remove it. Repeat as needed. You will need to go through all of the hubs though. No getting around that, unless the hubs weren't submerged.

ke5eua

Stick a water hose in the hole in the bottom and let it run on low for a few minutes, then remove it. Repeat as needed. You will need to go through all of the hubs though. No getting around that.
Oh no doubt. I'm going to go to tractor supply and get two buckets of 80-90 and some grease for the bearings.

I'm going to have to drive it out toy grandfathers so I can use the a-frame and tractor to get the tires off. Pull the axles and repack the bearing and drain and refill the diffs and tc

Jeepsinker

Still pending but it is a go. Ten gallons of gear oil is not going to be enough. Also, keep in mind that a regular deuce hub takes over a pound of grease to pack one hub. I buy my grease in four pound tubs. Red grease. You are going to need a lot of grease and oil.

ke5eua

Still pending but it is a go. Ten gallons of gear oil is not going to be enough. Also, keep in mind that a regular deuce hub takes over a pound of grease to pack one hub. I buy my grease in four pound tubs. Red grease. You are going to need a lot of grease and oil.
Your scaring me saying 10 gallons isn't enough. LO states 12 qts x 3 for diffs, and 5 1/4 qts for transfer. That comes out to ~10 1/2 gallons, should I go ahead and to the transmission also?

Doing all diffs, transfer, transmission it comes out to 12 1/2 gallons.

Jeepsinker

Yeah go ahead and do the transmission. It is just too easy to do it to risk having any problems. I've burned up way too many components in jeeps I've had over the years by thinking " It should be ok, I'll check it later." I've learned my lesson.

ke5eua

Looks like I got my work cut out for me this weekend.

Now I've done diffs before, but never rockwells, when I pull the axles, is it like smaller diffs where fluid will come out?

Trying to figure out the best approach to this. Drain diff, take tires off, take axle off, take hub off, pull bearings, clean, pack, reinstall, torque, add fluid. Put tires back on last as a just in case safety.

And can it be filled through the top panel or do it from the side?

Hitman

why do you put so much grease in there ? all that grease comes over time as you you,s a grease gun. you pack them like any other truck.

ke5eua

why do you put so much grease in there ? all that grease comes over time as you you,s a grease gun. you pack them like any other truck.
Looking over the tm I don't need to pull axles, that's a relief, although I probably will inspect just to make sure. Pretty simple procedure for front, haven't gotten to the back yet, but looks to be simple enough.

As far as packing, if anything like on the tractor, I want to make sure I get enough grease in the bearings before putting them back on then put some in the zerk fitting.

ke5eua

One last question, jeep do you know what size the adjusting nuts are, inner and outer? Want to make sure I have the right size socket before starting, and I'm guessing I will need a deep socket for the inner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks