• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what is the true HP out of the LDT-465-1C?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I've seen a lot of conflicting information on the cubic displacement of the engine, the horsepower rating and torque. I've seen everything from 465cid to 478cid. I was always under the impression that the Turbo model made 140hp at 2600rpm and 330ft-lbs of torque at 1400rpm, is this untrue? Boyce Equipment is claiming they get 180hp and Clark Truck parts 160hp are these modified engines or stock? The reason I ask this is want to develop a baseline for understanding exactly how much I can safely create from this engine before it blows up.

scooter01922

The 140/330 are what i have seen as true as well. Think those guys may be upping the numbers a bit to sell trucks. Everyone has to have the truck with the most HP :roll: As far as what you can safely do.....Install a pyro and start turning up the fuel a bit. As long as you don't overdo it it seems they stay together pretty well. I don't think i have seen any posts of actual measurments taken on a turned up deuce so i'm not sure what you could expect in terms of HP. Finding a dyno to run one on might be a task. Provided you don't start treating it like a cummins 5.9 you should be OK with some adjustments. Provided all this is coming from me reading up on here...as i have yet to actually install the pyro on mine. Good luck to ya.
Scott

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The manual states ld 465& ld 4651c=126hp @2600rpm and the ldt 465 1c and 1d= 130 hp @2600rpm.

TM 9-2320-361-10 Ch 1-18

Rolling_Eudaimonia

scooter01922 said:
The 140/330 are what i have seen as true as well. Think those guys may be upping the numbers a bit to sell trucks. Everyone has to have the truck with the most HP :roll: As far as what you can safely do.....Install a pyro and start turning up the fuel a bit. As long as you don't overdo it it seems they stay together pretty well. I don't think i have seen any posts of actual measurments taken on a turned up deuce so i'm not sure what you could expect in terms of HP. Finding a dyno to run one on might be a task. Provided you don't start treating it like a cummins 5.9 you should be OK with some adjustments. Provided all this is coming from me reading up on here...as i have yet to actually install the pyro on mine. Good luck to ya.
Scott
Thanks...

I might need to make some radical changes to the engine. I want to get standard 250hp out of and with waste-gate at full manifold pressure about 325hp when I need it. Also I would like to get about 800ft-lbs of torque out of the engine. I might just opt for a Cummins older 8.3C series engine to drop into the chassis. With the big 14:00x20's or 16:00x20's the standard engine seems a bit underpowered. And with the axles being rated at a maximum 1100 ft-lbs of torque I don't want to go much over 1000ft-lbs of torque so I have a safety margin built into the system. I'm figuring with a newer Earton Fuller 8ll and perhaps a newer transfer case I can safely run 330hp and 800-1050 ft-lbs of torque through the drive train. Well not yet of course, but I have big plans for this truck and going across North and South America on Bio-Diesel is one of them. I figure I might need the extra power.

Flea

I think you'd be surprised at how the motor will pull once turned up. Mine is still at stock levels, FDC is still connected, and I've never had to downshift going 55 up hills in East TN. 800 torque with the axles geared as low as they are would just about be overkill. I think you would be fine on the stock transmission with 200 hp/450-500 torque. If you're not satisfied with how it pulls at that level, you're probably asking too much of the chassis to begin with. Keep in mind GVW is just over 25K lbs.

67Cougar

I really think that you could make some serious horse power with our Multi-fuels. But you are going to have to tear it all the way down and make some internal modifications. Some day I'm hoping to try this on the LDS motor that I have sitting on the shop floor.
1. Balance the entire rotating assembly.
2. Lower the compression.
3. Have the heads machined for fire rings so you can add way more boost.
4. Install waste gate turbo and run 20 to 30 lbs of boost.

Do this to one and you should have a good runner.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good thoughts. Sure, you could wring out 250 HP but if you want it to stay together, you are going to have to make some serious mods. Serious mods=serious moneys. Dollar for dollar you would be better off looking for a different mill. The 3053A tranny won't hold that power for long either. The multi's have a tendency to spit rods if pushed too hard, plan on having one off rods made too. If you plan on running 1400 or 1600 tires plan on some heavy mods for that too unless you are bobbing it. You would need to fabricate new dogbones and have a longer leaf spring built to spread the rear axles apart. Hotrod deuce did this with his crew cab deuce. He runs 1600 tires but has a bombed 5.9 B series. All doable with deep pockets.

reb87

What about a L10 or m11 cummins? I dont know how the dimensions of that motor compare to the 465 but you could buy a single axle tractor pretty cheap and put in the engine/tranny (maybe use a 5 ton transfercase) and have a nice combo.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Recovry4x4 said:
All good thoughts. Sure, you could wring out 250 HP but if you want it to stay together, you are going to have to make some serious mods. Serious mods=serious moneys. Dollar for dollar you would be better off looking for a different mill. The 3053A tranny won't hold that power for long either. The multi's have a tendency to spit rods if pushed too hard, plan on having one off rods made too. If you plan on running 1400 or 1600 tires plan on some heavy mods for that too unless you are bobbing it. You would need to fabricate new dogbones and have a longer leaf spring built to spread the rear axles apart. Hotrod deuce did this with his crew cab deuce. He runs 1600 tires but has a bombed 5.9 B series. All doable with deep pockets.
Well the entire drive train will have to be removed. I was thinking of putting in a Fuller 8LL to a newer two speed locking transfer case perhaps an Oshkosh 55000 series. I figured the rear suspension linkages would need to be increased the bigger tires. I don't see the leaf springs as being that big of a problem, I probably can get a standard pair that is just longer and heavier.

I am worried about the extra mass on the 2.5 ton axles they might not really like 52 inches of tire stuck in mud.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

67Cougar said:
I really think that you could make some serious horse power with our Multi-fuels. But you are going to have to tear it all the way down and make some internal modifications. Some day I'm hoping to try this on the LDS motor that I have sitting on the shop floor.
1. Balance the entire rotating assembly.
2. Lower the compression.
3. Have the heads machined for fire rings so you can add way more boost.
4. Install waste gate turbo and run 20 to 30 lbs of boost.

Do this to one and you should have a good runner.

I bet the engine would blow up... But it would be interesting to see how much power you get out of it before it does.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Flea said:
I think you'd be surprised at how the motor will pull once turned up. Mine is still at stock levels, FDC is still connected, and I've never had to downshift going 55 up hills in East TN. 800 torque with the axles geared as low as they are would just about be overkill. I think you would be fine on the stock transmission with 200 hp/450-500 torque. If you're not satisfied with how it pulls at that level, you're probably asking too much of the chassis to begin with. Keep in mind GVW is just over 25K lbs.
Well where I plan on taking this truck there is no such thing as too much hp or torque...

Trango

What just got posted here makes you think.

Could you put together an LDT with upgraded internals for more power? Perhaps new rods, a somewhat smaller piston for lower compression ratio, and possibly use stronger head bolts (studs?). You could then configure the engine to take more boost, and really turn up the pump. That way you'd still have a Multifuel-capable engine, everything remaining "stock", but be able to bomb it.

Cooling may be an issue (but bigger rads are not rocket science, I have one on my deuce).

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Trango said:
What just got posted here makes you think.

Could you put together an LDT with upgraded internals for more power? Perhaps new rods, a somewhat smaller piston for lower compression ratio, and possibly use stronger head bolts (studs?). You could then configure the engine to take more boost, and really turn up the pump. That way you'd still have a Multifuel-capable engine, everything remaining "stock", but be able to bomb it.

Cooling may be an issue (but bigger rads are not rocket science, I have one on my deuce).
Yeah it would be interesting to see exactly how much power you can get out of the LDT-465-1C before it blows up.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

jasonjc said:
You don't have time to get a CDL ,but you have time to build a truck petty much from the ground up?????
Well there is what I want to do to the Deuce, and there is what I can do, and right now this is all hypothetical modifications for my pocketbook is lean and my time scheduled between work and school... But after Grad School maybe I'll be able to start working on the deuce seriously. Right now it is just my daily driver!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trango said:

To do the mods to get high hp it wouldn't be a multifuel anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks