• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what is the true HP out of the LDT-465-1C?

hornetfan

If you don't know how it works, you shouldn't post it, just like the guy before you.

Posting what you don't know is bad for the site members. The rest is correct, the FDC has nothing to do with it being a multifuel.

30 years of LC has nothing to do with this thread. If you got 68 results to read, its time to read up. If you want to know about something, reading is a good way to find out. I have read for hours to find answers for others. As I said, I will post up answers for you too, you just have to wait till I get home.
If the last part of your response was meant for me, that's precisely what I've been doing -- reading up the various threads which mention "hypercycle". I'll go back to my knitting and reading now but I do try to not ask questions which are easily answered. That said, have you noticed how large the volume of data is up here? If I can quickly and easily answer a question that can only otherwise be answered with hours of research and years of experience then I will personally endeavor to do so out of courtesy. Not everyone agrees obviously. I'm happy to do the research and I am doing it. To give me a ration of <> for NOT doing what I WAS doing sounds like you're .... well, I just don't know a polite way to phrase it.

If you can help answer my basic question and are willing, thank you. If not I will continue to endeavor to find the answer on my own.

Hornet

Heath_h49008

If you don't know how it works, you shouldn't post it, just like the guy before you.

Posting what you don't know is bad for the site members. The rest is correct, the FDC has nothing to do with it being a multifuel.

I simply related the method as told by another site member in the sticky (now that I bothered to look for you.) The quarters increase pressure on the piston simulating thinner fuel conditions... another way to say it would be, that it increases spring pressure simulating thinner fuel... I know exactly how it works gimp. I never recommended it, but it's another avenue those reading the thread might look into of they were so inclined.

You say I'm wrong? By all means, educate me in my errors.

JasonS

If you want accurate answers, you really have to get out the textbooks and read up; not on steelsoldiers. Get a copy of Taylor's two volume set on internal combustion engine design which discusses multifuel engine design. The ONE thing which makes the "multifuel" a multifuel is the high compression ratio. End of story. The hypercycle claims to reduce the high rate of combustion pressure rise inherent in high compression ratio engine but it was not otherwise a popular system. The fdc simply maintains a continuous rate of horsepower using the fact that the btu content of fuel is proportional to the viscosity.

hornetfan

If you want accurate answers, you really have to get out the textbooks and read up; not on steelsoldiers. Get a copy of Taylor's two volume set on internal combustion engine design which discusses multifuel engine design. The ONE thing which makes the "multifuel" a multifuel is the high compression ratio. End of story. The hypercycle claims to reduce the high rate of combustion pressure rise inherent in high compression ratio engine but it was not otherwise a popular system. The fdc simply maintains a continuous rate of horsepower using the fact that the btu content of fuel is proportional to the viscosity.
I haven't seen a copy of that book in years and would love to HAVE a copy. Yep, the textbooks are the way to go but getting help from others who are also less enlightened doesn't confuse things too badly IMO. I seriously doubt anyone is trying to mislead and everyone should take everything posted on SS with at least a grain of salt and give those that offer info at least some credit for the effort.

If you know something to be WRONG then fine,. say so. But busting balls just for drill maybe not so much.

And that's my tuppence worth for this thread.

hornetfan

Thinking about this some more it seems to me that the way to really help a multifuel engine make more usable power without reducing compression ratio would be to use a Whipple/Paxton type supercharger rather than a turbo. This would increase torque and air flow at low rpms and eliminate exposing the engine to increased RPMs -- the typical way to make more power is just allow the engine to turn faster. The low rpm boost would limit peak manifold pressures and reduce or eliminate the need for reduced compression.

Interesting. I've been looking at the Whipple for my 6.5L GM NA diesel in my Land Rover.

Does somebody know off-hand what the boost pressure is on the LDS and LDT engines? I've looked in the TMs and if it's there I missed it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem is that there is at least 4 different turbos out there. The military added them for smog reasons, so max boost isn't a number you will find. I do know the LDS troubleshooting TM has the "general" boost numbers, but not max boost.

stb64

Originally Posted by Heath_h49008
One alternate method of turning up the fuel in the LDT/LDS was to insert 2 quarters under the cover of the FDC to push down on the piston and imitate the thinner fuel mode. (As told by a Vietnam era member IIRC)

[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong in this sentence.
While it is not an approved method, and i do not recommend it, it was an easy way for army drivers to increase power without removing the sealed tamper-proof cover from the stop-plate adjusting screw.
The missing seal would have been detected by vehicle inspectors immediately.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks