• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what is the true HP out of the LDT-465-1C?

Trango

It is out of a L8000 Ford truck. Rotated 90º, and I also welded up one inlet and holesawed it welded a new one on (TIG Silicon bronze).

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

russ81

I'm debating on which engine to put in my deuce. I've given the 5.9 some serious thought, but I don't know if the smaller C.I.D. will work to hard. I'm also looking at a Cat 3116 or 3126 in the 300HP range. I know you can get that kind of HP out of the 5.9, but you don't get near the torque that the Cat's put out.

What do you all think?
cummins 5.9
cummins 8.3
cat 3116
cat 3126

SprayPattern

The torque output of the engine is really irrelevant here. If you want more torque to the ground gear down. What you need from the engine is power (torque @ rpm) so that while your gearing is making the torque you need, your engine is still producing the rpm you need for the travel/tire speed you're after.

Run the numbers on torque in any given gear at any given output shaft speed and you will see that with any engine power/torque output you try, that by the time you gear the engine's output rpm to that needed for your ground/tire speed the engine with the most power will be producing the most shaft torque all the time, everytime.

And a 5.9 cummins would throw an M35 around like a rag doll. You can build a very reliable 5.9 at around 500hp on fuel. That will be more than capable of melting and breaking every piece of drivetrain you own without breaking a sweat.

Now if you were planning on using the truck like an OTR tractor pulling 50k or more for hours on end at highway speeds, then I would say a larger displacement engine would be needed to keep the service life higher. But what it sounds like to me, is relatively low speed service, with the need for relatively substantial bursts of power when required.

I think a 5.9 would handle this with ease. And I would never consider a 3116 over a 5.9. A 5.9 is fully scalable from 150 or so hp to upward of 1300 to 1800+. There have been so many of them running over 1000hp on stock internals that the strength of the engine in the 300 or so hp range is really not in question.

I would run a 300 to 400hp 6BT if it were me. I would also run a 4R100 automatic trans behind it as well. New pickup trucks come stock making the power you are after. They are also rated to tow in the 25000k range too. I think a light diesel would fit the bill if you don't find what you're looking for in a larger displacement engine.

Good Luck with the virtual build though.

:D

Trango

What is the lowest overdrive ratio you can find with the 4r100? I realize that the high revving nature of the 6BT somewhat mitigates the 6.72 axles, but for fuel economy, you do want something of a numerically-low OD.

russ81

I wanted a big truck that I couldn't break. I was looking at building a ford or chevy 600/6500 series, but like the looks of the deuce better. Plus it already comes with rockwells front and rear.
I think my next project will be a 5t, and I might leave it a 6x6. A bobbed 5t does look bad though.

dabtl

Why are there no power saving devices available for the deuce after 30 years of use? That might be a nice way of picking up another ten or twenty horsepower.

rebelcummins

I really think that you could make some serious horse power with our Multi-fuels. But you are going to have to tear it all the way down and make some internal modifications. Some day I'm hoping to try this on the LDS motor that I have sitting on the shop floor.
1. Balance the entire rotating assembly.
2. Lower the compression.
3. Have the heads machined for fire rings so you can add way more boost.
4. Install waste gate turbo and run 20 to 30 lbs of boost.

Do this to one and you should have a good runner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsDofhgE6A
forward the show to 5:50...
Keep in mind i'm running 75%+more fuel rate, 4th gear on transmission and low side of transfer case, pushing 22-28 psi of boost and i engaged 6x6 3/4 of the way up the hill.1150-1200*s. All on a Small Modifacation.
New Injectors
New whistler
And a Secret

rronning84

The torque output of the engine is really irrelevant here. If you want more torque to the ground gear down. What you need from the engine is power (torque @ rpm) so that while your gearing is making the torque you need, your engine is still producing the rpm you need for the travel/tire speed you're after.

Run the numbers on torque in any given gear at any given output shaft speed and you will see that with any engine power/torque output you try, that by the time you gear the engine's output rpm to that needed for your ground/tire speed the engine with the most power will be producing the most shaft torque all the time, everytime.

And a 5.9 cummins would throw an M35 around like a rag doll. You can build a very reliable 5.9 at around 500hp on fuel. That will be more than capable of melting and breaking every piece of drivetrain you own without breaking a sweat.

Now if you were planning on using the truck like an OTR tractor pulling 50k or more for hours on end at highway speeds, then I would say a larger displacement engine would be needed to keep the service life higher. But what it sounds like to me, is relatively low speed service, with the need for relatively substantial bursts of power when required.

I think a 5.9 would handle this with ease. And I would never consider a 3116 over a 5.9. A 5.9 is fully scalable from 150 or so hp to upward of 1300 to 1800+. There have been so many of them running over 1000hp on stock internals that the strength of the engine in the 300 or so hp range is really not in question.

I would run a 300 to 400hp 6BT if it were me. I would also run a 4R100 automatic trans behind it as well. New pickup trucks come stock making the power you are after. They are also rated to tow in the 25000k range too. I think a light diesel would fit the bill if you don't find what you're looking for in a larger displacement engine.

Good Luck with the virtual build though.

:D
I agree with you o everything except the 4R100. I am a powerstroke guy and have destroyed my fair share of 4r100's. The E40D and 4R100 are little more then boat anchors from the factory. Semi reliable behind stock engines but nothing more. In my '99 powerstoke which was lucky if it was making 350hp I had a suncoast sled pulling 4r100. That was a $5500 fully built transmission. It made it 20000 miles as a daily driver trans with occasional trailer duty. I am not blaming suncoast. The trans is a pile of crap to start with. I now have an 08 F450 with a 5R110. this truck makes 350 from the factory and the trans is stock. I am at 61000 miles with out a hick up. I don't trust it anymore the the 4R100 but it is holding up better at a higher power and abuse level.

My opinion is to stay with a manual trans or really plant some money on a more industrial midsize automatic like an Allison from a Kodiak or something.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind i'm running 75%+more fuel rate, 4th gear on transmission and low side of transfer case, pushing 22-28 psi of boost and i engaged 6x6 3/4 of the way up the hill.1150-1200*s. All on a Small Modifacation.
New Injectors
New whistler
And a Secret
The secret is you are right down 35 from me and I didn't know....... ;-)

Stop by and you can run the top end on my Deuce with the "new" motor. :)

rebelcummins

Very interested to know the secret! How are you staying together at over 20psi boost? Different engine?
nope running a LDT-465-1C, small modifacation, AKA The small secret. I will tell you this, After i get the other stuff done(the big secret)it will hold up to 30 PSI.
What im working on for it, New intake manifold that delets the after cooler, and inter coolersetup. thats all im giving right now.

rebelcummins

The secret is you are right down 35 from me and I didn't know....... ;-)

Stop by and you can run the top end on my Deuce with the "new" motor. :)
I might could do that for ya, you must be the guy that jerry was talking about. Do you still have the blown motor?
And i'm looking for a place to work on the M35A2 Tractor Conversion?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks