• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to be broke!

lrjet23

In the middle of moving. San Antonio to Daytona Beach, and I am in Beaumont, TX.. Started out at 0700, and all was well. (Now, before everyone says do a search, and look at the TM's, I spent the last five hours doing just that.) So, if anyone saw a eastbound deuce on I-10, holding up traffic, well that was me.

Problem:

Just getting on I-10 out of SAT, a slght noise coming from the drivetrain. Don't know if it is transmission, T-case, or clutch. BTW I heard the same noise when I took her for the first 50 mile run, however I split it into two segments with a rest in between. Also changed the transmission oil two days ago, with Valvoline 80-90 that meet the mil spec. (So I think) Stopped at the gas station by the BAE systems, (Nice MV's there) and noticed the line from the T-Case, the bigger one, was leaking. (Ithought it was the tach, but after reading tonite, its a line of some sort. Mabey the fluid in the no.2 air tank?) Lots of fittings on there, and I didn't have a stubby 1" wrench. (Airpack was in the way to get a good turn) I tightened it as best as I could, with a standard wrench, and checked the fluid. Still within tolerance. So I push on.

I stopped at a picnic area just before Houston to give her a break, and check the T-Case fluid once again. The leak pretty much stopped, and I topped off the T-Case. Took about a half qt. Everything else is good, off we go.

Getting through downtown Houston, the noise is getting louder. At first, I bearly heard it at a steady speed. Now, she growling, and grinding, and getting very angry. Made it through Houston, and stopped as soon as I could. I pushed the clutch in, and made a noise. Almost the same as in cruise, but slightly different. (BTW I kept her at 45 mph, @ about 2000 rpm, speed backed up by GPS) Idled down, quick oil check, T-Case, and transmission oil check, all was full. Sitting there trying to figure what is up, pulled out the LO 209-12-1, and saw I missed a zert for the clutch Throw-out bearing. Hit it with the gun. Now that i'm looking the the LO, I still may have not found it. I may have got one of the throw-out shaft zerts instead. Hmmmmm.

Anyway, I'm in Beaumont waiting for the sun to appear to get looking for a for more zerts, I may have missed. I do not believe the noise I am hearing is due to the lack of GAA grese, but mabey.

Summary:

A spattering noise with clutch engauged
Constant noise (getting worse) at cruise
All gears work... (for now)
Low t-case in 1st gear, and R = no noise, didn't try the rest
All fluids full, not leaking

I have the floor cover off now for the a.m., and one of the TM's said there was a breather for the transmission? Wrong TM? Also, when I remove the T-Case filler cap there is just a slight hiss like it's pressurized? Something clogged?

Questions, Please ask Open for any input

Thanks

P.S. Pics will be soon, I have to make em smaller

wsucougarx

The only lines going to the transfer case is the tach cable and an airshift air line (if it's and airshift transfer case). There is no fluid running to the transfer case from an outside source. My tach cable leaks a little fluid...no big deal.
Sounds like your tranny is giving you problems. You can get take out trannies relatively cheap. I can get them locally for $125

lrjet23

It is an airshift, and I saw that line, no problems there. I thought the other was the tach, but the tm said it was a tube. Mabey the cable goes through the tube? Was wondering about that. So I tightened the 1" nut on the T-Case ans it stopped.

And Wow, what a quick reply, Thanks

P.S. The M/C did NOT need any fluid when I checked two days ago. She gots gooood brakes.[thumbzup] For now:)

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Did your tranny fluid come with an MT-1 rating? MT-1 designates that it is yellow metal compatible.
There is a breather on the tranny. It is located on the top of the tranny itself. It's a good idea to tap the spring loaded cap to make sure there isn't any junk lodged in there. The only thing the cap does is to relieve excess pressure during operation. The pressure would cause fluid to leak out of your seals. Your transfer case also has a pressure relief cap as well. Depending on the amount of hiss, you may have a gummed up pressure relief cap on her. It takes some serious reaching to get to her. Basically you can get at her from behind the transfer case. You'll want to reach up past your parking brake drum and feel around for her.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
im right off I10(well its I12 at my point) over east of baton rouge. if you make it that far i have a shop you can use to make repairs. Tim:-D

lrjet23

Just a very small poof, nothing explosive. i'll look for that, and also the one on the trans.

I did notice a four point "hex" screw, like the one on the steering lube fill. Head forward, on the top right.

Any idea what that is?

And thanks Tim, if it's ok to stop by for a visit, and another set of eyes on her, I'd like that. I'll buy the coffee:shock: (your time permitting of corse)

I'm thinking or hopeing, that it just got too warm, but that doesn't make sense.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are stopped and have the clutch in and it is making intermittant noise, then when driving it is constant, I think it's got to be the trans. Deuces can take a beating when they have to (granted trans will be shot). I am almost 100% sure it is not a zerk fitting. If you are on the road I'd keep going, call tim in LA; we are both right there for help when you get here. Mine did the same thing (co-incidentally in Houston) and made it to Atlanta. By the time we got here I had to wear hearing protection just due to the ball pien hammer beating on metal sound emitting from the trans. Good luck, and post any changes.:mrgreen:

lrjet23

Thanks hndrsonj, I kinda figured she'd go a bit more, just don't want her to quit on that 18 mile bridge in LA. I'm sure that would make folks very mad with me. I'll blast off in the morning and see what happens. I did look for quotes to trailer her if need be, but the further down the road I get the cheaper it will be.

No Power issues, and no surging on the trans, just that noise. I'll look for the breathers in the a.m., and drive it with the cab floor off, to look at the trans.

Stan, It may be a little over, cause when I replaced the oil two days ago, I thought it was 7 qts. not 8.9 pts. So the oil started coming out of the top. I replaced the cap, and when I checked it today, it was still slowly leaking out. However, I did notice this noise, very faintly, three weeks ago when I took her on the 50 drive, per the TM. But since the drive going around town, I didn't hear a thing. Thanks, I'll level it out in the A.M.

Thanks all

lrjet23

Well Plan B may come through. Just got a bid offer for $1200 to trailer her the rest of the way. Just about as much as I paid for her:confused:. I read AFTER I bought her, It's not how much she costs, but what it takes to maintain her..

I'll have to sleep on it, Thanks for everything guys, you all are great, can't wait to start returning these favors.

I'll check here in the am, and let you know what happens

good night

Stan Leschert

Yup, request a towbar, and a tug. I really hope to see the Pics of your truck in the driveway. Please let us know what the real problem was, because that is how we get smarter.
As an Officer, I had to be qualified on all units in our inventory.
Just in case...
Do I know 1/8 of what my corporals knew?
Not a freaking chance.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have several members that are relatively close to you. Maybe one of them will chime in with help.

Good luck

sw

lrjet23

Good Morning,

I found the breather for the T-Case, looking foward, top left, Very dirty up there and it was stuck. Loosed it, will see what happens. I have a feeling the damage has been done.

No leaks from the T-Case, or anywhere else on the ground.:p

Gona head out and see what happens, ill have the wife keep you all updated

Thanks

Attachments