• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to be broke!

lrjet23

Thanks to all for the concern.

I do have to report, that I THINK, I have the noise narrowed down to the clutch. I do not hear the noise when she is cold. Once I am moving down the road, after 5 minutes, the gringing starts. When stopping at a light, depress the clutch, and it sounds like a spinning disc intermitenly hitting metal. I haven't had the time this week to give her the attention she needs, for life still goes on.

I will post the findings when I figure out what the noise is! probably a couple weeks from now, cause I got one more cross country move.(In a rental, not MV)

Thank you All

Attachments

wsucougarx

Have you cracked open the clutch inspection hole? It's around a 4x3 inch cover (or something about that size anyways) held on by bolts. It's on the bell housing

lrjet23

No, I have not. Thanks for the info, for I was courious what that plate was when I was tighening every bolt and nut in the area. So, then I open the inspection plate, would it be obivous what I'm looking for? I have not run across that in the tm's.

And Thanks for the quick responce!

wsucougarx

You would be able to see how much clutch you have left and possibly see that state of your throw out bearing. I don't suggest the following task as it is too darn dangerous, but one could warm their truck up to the point of hearing the sound you are hearing. Park the truck, put the truck in gear with the transfer case in neutral (maybe removing the rear driveshaft to stay safe) and listen to your clutch and observe from under the truck through the the inspection cover. I again don't suggest this as I myself would never get under a truck or any vehicle while it was running but that would definately narrow it down. If you do do something like this chock your tires, remove your rear driveshaft (front too if it's a Sprag). Just an idea anyways....just thinking out loud

Last edited:

lrjet23

No, I never get under her when she is running. I "think" there is a zert for the throw out bearing. I may have missed that? When I get some time next week i'll do some scopeing around!

TY

jimm1009

For the most experienced Deuce mechanics, is there a way to insert a small shim(s) around the clutch fingers and completely release all pressure on the throw out bearing?
If this can be done the bearing could be spun some by hand to check for looseness and obvious noise.
I would like to inspect mine too by have not had enough good weather to date.
Inquiring minds need to know...
jimm1009

Kohburn

If I read correctly, it does not make the noise when in reverse?

That part combined with the no noise till warmed up makes me think thrust bearing related issue.