• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to be broke!

lrjet23

Found three bolts loose from the drive shaft to T-Case, only a quarter turns worth though.

Also there is no breather on the trans, just an allen set screw! Hmmm?

Well, I'm off

Hope to report good news

Thanks all

jimm1009

Hey there irjet23 there is an 18 miles bridge and a 22 mile bridge.
Sorry for the potentially bad news although there is a really nice rest stop in between (Butte LaRose, LA). Completely rebuilt about 4 years ago. Cars on south of I-10 and big truck on north side of I-10.

I'm in west side of Lafayette, LA and 2 miles from I-10.

337-896-8639 is the home phone and my cell is 337-296-5457, If I don't answer I'll call right back.

I have a military medium tow bar to help you or loan you if needed and a slow moving deuce to help if all else fails. Also have some log chains as impromptu safety chains.

If you are missing a vent I'll pull one of my brand new ones to give you. Give me a shout please if nothing else to ease our minds.

I can offer you a bedroom to stay if you need. Don't pay for a hotel room if you are not too far away.

jimm1009 here on S.S. or e-mail; jimm1009@yahoo.com

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a bearing in the transmission is finished. Very unlikely you will make the remaining distance without something coming apart. Sorry to be negative. Like you have seen, there are truckers everywhere along I-10 looking for loads.

Mitymac

IRJet
I am with NDT on this one.
I would load it or tow it. A locked up trany on a freeway.. not good!
Maybe you can get by with bearings now. If it fails you have gears and it may take out clutch also. If you have a hose listen on trans and trans while moving if for your noise point.
Surely stop at next SS point.
Good luck

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was at lunch and did not hear the phone go off. He called and left a message that the truck was not sounding as loud, possibly the breather. That along with tightening the 3 bolts prolly made a difference.

He was @ MP62 on I-10 in Louisiana @ 1PM and headed East.

When I hear something else, I will let yall know.

Cheers!

saddamsnightmare

March 14th, 2010.

Keep us posted please! I'm way too far west now to be of use, but I am certain that there are others of us along his route that may be of use. The old 12" PITA driveshaft bolts can make your life sheer H--L in the cab for noise if they are slightly loose, and really exciting if terminally loose. I have wracked my brain to come up with a solution to the continual need to retighten these babies, and there seems to be no way to keep them tight if the truck is run above 20 MPH for very long.... Must be inherent in the design back in 1948!

Thanks for keeping an eye on the boyo!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

feets

There's an easy solution to the drive shaft bolts. Drill a small hole through the heads and wire them together. The wire will prevent the bolts from turning.

That's common on race car stuff.

kbush

I notice in your pics of the trans. you have a plug in the place of a breather. You ought to be able to find one at an auto parts store. 1/8"npt.

lrjet23

Made IT!

Just letting you all know I'm home. I even stopped by the beach for some pictures before pulling in the drive. (Only a bolck and a half away).

So thank you all for the support, advice, and offerings of help, to someone you don't even know. Just shows how great ALL of you are. It is very appreciated.

So , I will work on the debreif, segments at a time and post them.

Also bear in mind, I rode hard for the 30 hours, and am running on liquids right now, however, I will try to be as clear as possable.

Thank you All