• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire mount on 105.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nick,

I can see if I can get a couple of pics and send them to you. My old trailer had side racks and the spare was mounted in front of the wheel on the driver's side. I gave him a cover but we never put one on it but I can't remember if the spare would have interfered with the cover.

sw

Nick

Ok, thanks. After nonotagain's comment, Im leaning more towards the side mount. I had wanted to go underneath, thought about the dump ability, and wasnt gonna do that, but in the future......

So I think I wanna do the side mount. And after lookin at my trailer with the cover on it, if the spare sits out from the sides enough, it should work ok.

Thanks
Nick

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post up some picks of the winch and install process. Is it simply fixed; or can it winch up and down the spare tire?

Uh isn't that what the first post in this thread shows?

2 Deuces Wild's husband added a spare tire winch from a Deuce to her trailer for her.

sw

2Deuces wild

Its easy. It does winch it up an down just like on the truck. Just get one off a truck 1 four inch 1/2 grade 8 bolt, 1. 6 inch grade 8 bolt washers and nuts. climb under the trailer. Locate the two front bed mounts on the left side. This side doesn't have the electrical cables for the lights. You will find one hole on the left already there. Place mount in between, grind any metal of the edge of mount if it interferes with the fit. Finish drilling hole. fit mount add 6 inch bolt and c clamp to hold it up. Drill other hole, add 4 inch bolt. Weld 2 or thee spots on mount or drill a 3rd bolt hole.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know where to get a mount like the 101 has. I just bought it at Indiana last year and didn't really like it so I traded it off to get my first 105 back.

sw

Lex_Ordo

I think it is wise to use the spare tire bracket made for the tow vehicle when mounting the spare to the trailer. The spare mount is made for the tire / wheel size used, so it will carry the load and have the correct securing mount for the bolt pattern.

When I was toying with the idea myself, I jumped at the opportunity to get the Iltis Utility Truck, spare tire bracket to carry a spare on my M101 CDN2 trailer.

The key to any of the projects is the location that the bracket can be mounted.

Good Job on the Duece mount for that heavy wheel!

Attachments

Armada

sw, where would one get a mount like that? Is it from something, or was it fabbed??

Thanks
Nick
Nick, here's the same m37 tire mount that swbradley used, but it is mounted on the front of the trailer instead of the side. One can still tilt the trailer if needed. Sorry no closeups of the mount.

Great job 2Deuceswild on the 105 spare mount!! That is a super idea.

Attachments

Nick

Nick, here's the same m37 tire mount that swbradley used, but it is mounted on the front of the trailer instead of the side. One can still tilt the trailer if needed. Sorry no closeups of the mount.

Great job 2Deuceswild on the 105 spare mount!! That is a super idea.

Thanks Armada. I like that idea, and knowing I could still use the dump option. The problem with mine of mounting it up front is that I have the other style brake handles. The flat blade style that lock across the front of the bed.

I think if i put the spare up front, I wouldnt be able to get to the brake handles..

I like the look of it that way though.

Nick

Armada

I think you might be ok with clearance. I believe the tire sets farther in front of the box than the brake handles do. Let me know if you need any measurements.

Nick

I think you might be ok with clearance. I believe the tire sets farther in front of the box than the brake handles do. Let me know if you need any measurements.

Armada,
Heres a few pics of the front end. If you could take some measurements, Im kinda curious of if it would work with these brake handles.

No rush in the measurements, whenever you get a chance. Im in no hurry.

Thanks
Nick

Ok, well for some reason, its not letting me upload pictures. Maybe later

ChrisCase

Here's a couple pics of the mount I made for Nick.

Red trailer is my mount on Nick's trailer, O.D. trailer is Terry A.'s original Canadian Army mount.

Good thing about the Canadian style is that the weight hangs on the trailer box edge rather than the thin face of the box, and there is a hole for the cover tie down to access the hook. Plus the tire's weight is on the baseplate between the a-frame, which ought to prevent any fatigue.

I made some changes: Material is 3/16" thick, has a stud mount ala WWII Dodges and the civilian 1t PW126 that is suitable for a lock, and added a bracket to the trailer frame to hold everything while dumping, if you so choose. I stress testd it by standing my 1/7th ton body on the bracket, on my M101A1, without the baseplate. Seems plenty rigid, without even the bolts in place.

Also fits the -A1, -A2 models

I did make an extra, available here, before I try eBay. $145 + shipping, about $30. bigchriscase@sbcglobal.net

More pics at my imageevent site : <http://imageevent.com/bigchriscase/m101sparetiremount?n=0>

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks