• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare tire mount on 105.

Nick

Thanks to Chris for the spare mount, its just what I wanted. Trailer looks pretty cool with the tire sittin up there like that.

Anyone wondering, its very well made and very very sturdy. Chris does pretty darn good work. Definately worth it. Im very happy with it.

Nick

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
2Deuces wild now that it has been on there for a year did it hold up with only the 2 bolts? I am planning on mounting one like yours this week end and was wondering if there has been any problems with it.

ChrisCase

I'm not sure if Nick has driven the trailer much. He just sent me pics of the trailer restored, I think he has been working on it for the whole mean time. I suspect he'll weigh in here shortly.

But I do have one on eBay right now, only a $20 opening bid so far. Let's see what the market price is before I make any more.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220637147649&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT>

jesusgatos

I've got one of the upright spare tire carriers that were used on the 5-ton tractors that I'm planning on mounting on the tongue of my M103A3. It's going to have to sit up a little higher than the top of the framerails though, in order to clear the landing gear and the hand-brakes. What type of hoists are generally used to get these big 'ol wheels/tires UP that high in the first place though?

Nick

Well I have done quite a bit of hauling and, as I stated in my other post, the trailer is DONE!!! Check out that thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/52350-one-more-detail-shes-done.html

As for the tire carrier, its awesome. Absolutley no problems at all. Mounted great, very stable. Chris did a real good job. The only issue is still as I stated, I cant dump with the tire on the carrier. Its too heavy on the tongue, so if I wanna dump, I hafta remove the tire. No big deal, I dont really plan on it.

Im very very happy with the carrier. Im glad I went on the tongue, lots and lots of comments from people when i tow it around town. Cant wait to get my power wagon done to pull it behind that

Thanks
Nick

Last edited:

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did the same spare tire mounting on my M105. I also had to grind a bit off the upper front edge of the winch plate to clear the bed supports, and I drilled out the one existing hole on the frame rail. I drilled the upper rear hole using the hole in the winch mounting plate for the pattern to drill. I added two more 1/2" holes below each the upper two, giving me 4 total bolts.

The two upper and lower holes facing the front of the trailer took 1/2" x 5" grade 8 bolts, and the two upper and lower rear holes took 1/2" x 3" grade 8 bolts. I also used grade 8 flat washers, lock washers and nuts. It makes a real nice out-of-the way mount. I did buy a brand new 1/2" carbide bit from the helpful hardware place that made drilling a whole lot easier!

I did not take any pictures as mine looks just like your install.

Thanks for the idea! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks